PDA

View Full Version : Crossover Technologies

Glass Man
12-26-2012, 06:50 PM
This just occurred to me tonight. I have never worked on paint or clearcoats. But the polishing technologies I have become familiar with for glass would seem to apply to paint also. For example. I create my own compounds for glass. And have learned if a "safe" compound is not used correctly it can create a very bad surface. Yet one that can only be seen in the direct sun at just the right angle. Slowing the rotary machine down as much as is possible helps to eliminate this problem. Also keeping the disk flat at all times is another safety measure.

I also know that the particles which create the new surface must be finely controlled. Product manufacturers likely won`t tell you what their formulas are. But I am thinking it wouldn`t be too difficult to go to a junk yard and do some tests on dented body parts.

When I first started working on glass years back I would buy brand new mirror sheets. Then I would waste them with acids and abrasives. This is how I developed my series of product tests. Of course it would be far too expensive to buy brand new body parts and waste them. But the fear of destroying stuff does keep us from learning. We wouldn`t want to waste a Jag or a BMW. Not good.

I will tell you a funny story. A friend of mine cleans upholstered furniture. Once he used the wrong chem and turned this coach a different color. Tried another product and turned the spot yet another color. Finally he found the right chem and brought the original color back. So before he gets his breath back he calls over the homeowner. Hey look at this. Goes through the color sequence. And walks away leaving the man with his mouth hung open. I would not do that. Way too nutsy for me.

Henry
[email protected]
www.glass-smart.blogspot.com (http://www.glass-smart.blogspot.com)

Swanicyouth
12-29-2012, 09:52 AM
For removing scratches or defects from glass, there really only seems to be one readily available product in the detailing world that does it. It`s called Ceri Glass and its a cerium oxide polish. Most older windshields will have scratches in the wiper path from dragging dirt across the windshield with the wipers.

I used this once with great failure. It left micro marring all over the windshield. Then I used it again, with different glass polishing pads (CarPro) with amazing success. I was able to remove all the scratches and was left with a surface free of all defects in all lights (except some pitting).

I researched this and found little guidance in the detailing world. Removing scratches from glass is not routinely done during a normal detail. One myth I kept seeing over and over is that you can not remove scratches from glass with an orbital polisher, you must use a rotary. Well, I can tell you that is just not true, with the correct products and technique.

Have you worked with cerium oxide as a glass polish for removing scratches?

Thoughts?

Glass Man
12-30-2012, 08:36 PM
Hi Swanicyouth,

Yes. I have worked with cerium and several other powders. Including diamond. Cerium oxide has been used for polishing glass surfaces for over a hundred years. And you are right on target. Random orbitals can also be used to remove scratches. Sometimes they can be more effective because they don`t "chew up" the surface like a rotary can. Auto glass is also different than window glass. I personally see it as more problematic. Windshields have different surfaces. Some are "softer" than others. Side glass which is tempered can be especially different from annealed windshields. The rpms or opms can make a big difference. Along with the type of pad, and polishing compound or slurry used.

This service is certainly not a part of the routine detail job. It is a specialty service. Not something that has been dealt with much by the auto detail industry. But something that could be. Grinding, polishing, and superpolishing auto glass is a subject I will be writing about.

golden1
12-30-2012, 09:50 PM
well may i ask? what and how you would a. remove etching on side windows b.remove wiper etching and pits from older windows. want to do glass work at my new shop.also i want to remove etching from my own cars

Todd@RUPES
12-31-2012, 08:07 AM
Having polished both glass and paint (a lot more paint than glass) I would say there are significant similarities to both. Likely this is true of polishing any hard surface to a shine...

Obviously the technique (speed, pressure) and abrasive material will change depending on the material (clear coat, stone, raw plastics, acrylics, glass) but the principles will be the same: Leaving as fine of a scratch pattern as possible will yield the highest shine possible.

golden1
12-31-2012, 01:35 PM
Having polished both glass and paint (a lot more paint than glass) I would say there are significant similarities to both. Likely this is true of polishing any hard surface to a shine...

Obviously the technique (speed, pressure) and abrasive material will change depending on the material (clear coat, stone, raw plastics, acrylics, glass) but the principles will be the same: Leaving as fine of a scratch pattern as possible will yield the highest shine possible.

are there any resins or fillers to be applied to pitting or must you take surface down as with paint .well like with deep scratch`s and body filler