PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum engine block

Clean Dean
05-07-2004, 11:18 AM
I detailed this 1984 Mercedes 300 Diesel yesterday and polished the aluminum engine block with Mothers aluminum polish + steel wool 00 and 0000 and a couple of terry towels.

It was a pain in the @$$

Any suggestions for an easier way to polish aluminum ???

http://www.ebizautos.com/fischermotors/detail.cfm?iid=325246

elortt
05-07-2004, 11:23 AM
Thats looks beautiful CD. Great Job. When I grow up I wanna be just like you!!!!! Sorry I dont have an answer for you, but I bet you could use Pro-Polish :dunno

Eric

Beemerboy
05-07-2004, 11:51 AM
Zephyr Pro-40 polish is one that I love for aluminum, its on PAC.

I don`t know any easy ways to clean a engine, its a part of detailing that I do not like!!

Tassadar
05-08-2004, 01:08 AM
I just tel people I cannot help metal much at all. Because engine bays cant really be detailed down to the minute detail. Metal, if burned or charred, is as good as its going to get when I do it.

edschwab1
05-08-2004, 02:33 AM
Try using a drill with different size felt polishing bobs/buffs and your favorite metal polish. By the way the car and engine look good.

Eric

central
05-08-2004, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by Clean Dean
Mothers aluminum polish + steel wool 00 and 0000 and a couple of terry towels.

would this apply to alloy rims too? I`ve only used mothers and terry towels... the steel wool too much for it?:confused: :dunno

dr_detail
05-08-2004, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Tassadar
I just tel people I cannot help metal much at all. Because engine bays cant really be detailed down to the minute detail. Metal, if burned or charred, is as good as its going to get when I do it.

Not to nit-pick ya `cause I know that in the scheme of things we`re all out to make a profit but, what about something like this (attached below) for a concourse de elegance???

What I prefer to tell customers is that it can be cleaned if they are willing to have me spend the time. Most will deem it not necessary when they learn the cost of spending 8-10 hours just on a motor. Some people though just have too much money. ;)

Tassadar
05-08-2004, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by dr_detail
Not to nit-pick ya `cause I know that in the scheme of things we`re all out to make a profit but, what about something like this (attached below) for a concourse de elegance???

What I prefer to tell customers is that it can be cleaned if they are willing to have me spend the time. Most will deem it not necessary when they learn the cost of spending 8-10 hours just on a motor. Some people though just have too much money. ;)

I would love to be able to do that, but I don`t even know how to begin to attack an engine for a concours event. I spend on average an hour cleaning an engine, spending 8 boggles my mind.

I assume you were taking things apart and cleaning them?

dr_detail
05-08-2004, 03:32 PM
For a photo shoot of an engine lineup in a new car brochure, I spent 14 hours* doing the detail work on a V-8 that was a "pre-production 200k mile test engine" when it came in. Yes a true driver was used for a full page glossy image of their new motor. Yes parts get removed, some get painted, or polished others are replaced with new. Some get masked and painted in place, while some get their paint removed. Lots of prepping, meticulous masking, and hard work goes into it. Brushes, dentist tools, sockets coated in tape as to not scratch painted bolts, etc, and whatever it takes to get the end results are used.

In the case of a concourse vehicle sometimes parts need to be bead blasted, and other times custom parts are fabricated for their replacement part is nonexistent. Detailing in this caliber is beyond compare and super hard to estimate the costs, especially when so many are just clueless as to what`s involved, but the final results are worth it when someone at a show, or an art director says" WOW! "

*that 14 hrs did not include the initial steam clean or the engines removal.

2drtahoez71
05-10-2004, 07:39 AM
dr. detail...is that a car engine, cause it sure doesnt look like any engine ive ever seen.

dr_detail
05-10-2004, 10:08 AM
Yes that is a car engine of the pre-war-era type. Look close you can see two plugs per cylinder on the top, and the generator in the lower right. Vehicles of yesteryear didn`t have computer controlled throttle bodies and electronic smog induction. Their variable valve timing was via advance and retard levers on the steering wheel, and their belts were made of leather. This was taken @ the Pebble Beach Concourse de Elegance and if you get the chance to attend such an event, I highly encourage it; for in my eyes, it is the pinnacle of detailing expertise and you will be amazed beyond belief.