PDA

View Full Version : Tap Water vs Distilled / Deionized for Rinseless Washing

Pages : [1] 2

Laguna
11-12-2012, 07:06 PM
I`ve been using tap water with ONR for rinseless washing - just wanted to ask if using distilled / deionized water makes a significant difference?

Thanks all.

tropicsteve
11-12-2012, 07:16 PM
the water at my house is pretty hard, so using distilled water for all my mixing (glass cleaner, rinseless wash, apc, etc.) really makes a difference.

Laguna
11-12-2012, 07:20 PM
the water at my house is pretty hard, so using distilled water for all my mixing (glass cleaner, rinseless wash, apc, etc.) really makes a difference.

Ah, as in less water spotting and cleaning ability? Thank you for replying.

Pats300zx
11-12-2012, 07:26 PM

I am in the same boat. My water is extremely hard in my home. I always use distilled water for mixing products. :bigups

dc52nv
11-12-2012, 07:50 PM
How does one know if they have hard water or not?

TroyScherer
11-12-2012, 07:53 PM

I`m in Ohio. And according to the maps I have viewed we have some of the hardest water around...

Map Link: United States Water Hardness Map, What is my water hardness? (http://www.qualitywatertreatment.com/city_water_guide.htm)

Swanicyouth
11-12-2012, 07:57 PM
It doesn`t seem to matter to me, since you dry the panel right away and people use stuff like ONR to remove water spots drying conventional washes. I think the question is, do you have spots after an ONR wash? In not, I see no benefit.

dc52nv
11-12-2012, 08:06 PM
I`m in Ohio. And according to the maps I have viewed we have some of the hardest water around...

Map Link: United States Water Hardness Map, What is my water hardness? (http://www.qualitywatertreatment.com/city_water_guide.htm)

Thanks. I typed in my zip but it said no info was available. :hmmm:

tropicsteve
11-12-2012, 08:13 PM
go to Morton Salt | Test Your Water (http://www.mortonsalt.com/for-your-home/test-your-water) to get a free test strip for hard water.

ihaveacamaro
11-12-2012, 08:13 PM
It doesn`t seem to matter to me, since you dry the panel right away and people use stuff like ONR to remove water spots drying conventional washes. I think the question is, do you have spots after an ONR wash? In not, I see no benefit.

that`s an interesting point... but I`ve been using distilled water anyways. Do you think that maybe some of the junk in tap water could maybe lower the cleaning ability of something like UWW+ or ONR?

dc52nv
11-12-2012, 08:20 PM
go to Morton Salt | Test Your Water (http://www.mortonsalt.com/for-your-home/test-your-water) to get a free test strip for hard water.

Awesome! I just filled out the form. Thank you.

Rocket
11-12-2012, 08:31 PM
IMO it can make a difference. Products like ONR have polymers that attach to the minerals in hard water to help when washing. I think if you used a water that has has the minerals removed or reduced then there would be more polymers that help with removing the dirt from the paint

Addicted2Bling
11-12-2012, 08:36 PM
Ha, I actually thought about going to the beach and adding a little bit of salt water into the water tank every time I fill it up... Vinegar, Salt, those things help soften water... The thing is, how much to add???

dc52nv
11-12-2012, 10:10 PM
Not sure if my water is hard yet but going to start filling up my mixed bottles with filtered water from my fridge. :)

Todd@RUPES
11-12-2012, 11:07 PM
IMO it can make a difference. Products like ONR have polymers that attach to the minerals in hard water to help when washing. I think if you used a water that has has the minerals removed or reduced then there would be more polymers that help with removing the dirt from the paint

Exactly correct! If you have hard water, add a little more rinseless wash solution to the water and it will attach to the minerals and "soften" the water.