PDA

View Full Version : raising height of vx5000 steamer on detailing cart

silvermesa
11-07-2012, 07:42 AM
Just purchased the US General cart from Harbor Freight, Item 90428.

need to raise the vx5000 steamer up about 1" to aide in being able to connect the hose into the machine. The cart side rail is just a bit too high. Is there something that could be put underneath that is able to withstand water, heat and would keep the unit from moving around due to it having wheels.

Thank You!

Steel Tool Cart w/ Locking Drawer (http://www.harborfreight.com/large-steel-tool-cart-with-locking-drawer-90428.html)

http://http://www.harborfreight.com/large-steel-tool-cart-with-locking-drawer-90428.html

Paul Sparks
11-07-2012, 09:05 AM
My vx5000 is on the top shelf of the wire cart from Sam`s Club. To make it possible to attach the hose I placed a couple of 2x6`s the length of the cart on the top shelf and the steamer on top of them. Works great and the steamer is at the correct height to be used with no problems.

silvermesa
11-10-2012, 12:58 PM
Thanks to the post above, I went about constructing my blocks to raise my vx5000 steamer. I experimented with placement and decided that due to the hose being just a bit weighty in the front I would place the steamer a bit toward the back of the cart. Raising it 1.5" allowed for good clearance for the hose and having it placed towards the back helped when removing the hose to not bang it on the front cart lip.

I used a 2x4 and a 1x4 sandwiched together with 2" holes in the 1x4.Two screws holds these together fine. Note I did have to put a small felt pad inside the holes so the wheel housings clear the hole and the pressure is on the wheel and not the housing. So, if I were building this again I might use a finished board only 1/2" thick and not 3/4" thick that the 1x4 is.

This holds the unit very firmly on top of the cart.

Stokdgs
11-10-2012, 01:21 PM
Silvermesa ---

Very nice engineering here ! Are the wood pieces force-fit into the cart or are they bolted/screwed into the bottom of the cart ?

Thanks for sharing - you did a great job !
Dan F

Paul Sparks
11-10-2012, 01:31 PM
Thanks to the post above, I went about constructing my blocks to raise my vx5000 steamer. I experimented with placement and decided that due to the hose being just a bit weighty in the front I would place the steamer a bit toward the back of the cart. Raising it 1.5" allowed for good clearance for the hose and having it placed towards the back helped when removing the hose to not bang it on the front cart lip.

I used a 2x4 and a 1x4 sandwiched together with 2" holes in the 1x4.Two screws holds these together fine. Note I did have to put a small felt pad inside the holes so the wheel housings clear the hole and the pressure is on the wheel and not the housing. So, if I were building this again I might use a finished board only 1/2" thick and not 3/4" thick that the 1x4 is.

This holds the unit very firmly on top of the cart.

A little fancier then mine but it looks good. I like you wheel cut-outs. Might have to copy this. Thanks.

silvermesa
11-10-2012, 01:42 PM
Silvermesa ---

Are the wood pieces force-fit into the cart or are they bolted/screwed into the bottom of the cart ?

Hello Dan!

The wood pieces are cut about 2/16" less than the front to back measurements of the cart and are not bolted in. If I were doing this again I might only allow 1/16 of gap.

I really thought that it might need bolting in prior to the build but am surprised of the stability this seems to have so far. The 2" holes really seem to grip the wheels very well. No slop of movement in the holes.

If one wanted this bolted in at a later date, this could be easily done.

Silvermesa

silvermesa
11-10-2012, 02:21 PM
One more note about the cart. I decided to try zip tying a plastic clothes hamper to the cart rails so during cleaning I could throw dirty towels in. Hamper is a cheap $6.00 plastic unit from Wal Mart.

I have not used this unit yet due to getting everything set up and waiting on a 12gauge 25` cord to be shipped to me. This is the maximum cord length to be used with steamer. I hope to use this in the next two weeks a couple of times. We`ll see how the blocks and hamper perform in conjunction with cart and steamer.

silvermesa
12-06-2012, 06:47 PM
Just wanted to follow up and say that raising the unit up and drilling the holes in the wood blocks has worked out real well. I don`t see me changing anything. The unit sits in the blocks very firm and is not tipsy at all when working the wand back and forth.

The clothes hamper has worked out well as well and I plan on leaving it attached to the cart.

Thank you all for participating in this thread.