PDA

View Full Version : RAW capable camera owners: Do you shoot raw/jpg or both

Bunky
11-01-2012, 10:40 AM
What is your preference and what do you use for photo management? Do you use a web host?

I usually shoot both especially if I need jpgs to post in a hurry. For photo management, I use Lightroom and host photos on smugmug.

dc52nv
11-01-2012, 10:48 AM
I shoot in both RAW and JPGS as well. Of course do editing on RAW files. As far as management, I just make a folder for each event and place that folder either in a personal pictures folder or customers pictures folder. I used iPhoto for a little bit and it was nice but I prefer to keep it simple as it was more work for me to get the picture in iPhoto to open in Photoshop.

Todd@RUPES
11-01-2012, 11:37 AM
What is your preference and what do you use for photo management? Do you use a web host?

I usually shoot both especially if I need jpgs to post in a hurry. For photo management, I use Lightroom and host photos on smugmug.

Mostly JPEG myself. That is because I post my pictures on the internet, and compression being what it is, negates any difference post editing makes.

If you are shooting for big pictures or printing, the shooting RAW makes sense, but for most purpose JPEG works.

Wors
11-01-2012, 11:53 AM
To organize photos I use Adobe Lightroom 4. Personally, I shoot with both. RAW will allow you greater editing capabilities. If you know that you just want a quick picture and plan to post it on the internet then shot jpeg. If you think you might want to edit the pictures at some point then shoot RAW.

rurocking
11-01-2012, 05:38 PM
I shoot nothing but RAW and process via Phase One - Capture One Pro 5.1.2 with my Canon I can choose to shoot both RAW and JPG or RAW with Embedded JPG, but I choose to just use the Capture One workflow to convert my files to jpg. The nice part of just taking RAW, is if you do end up taking that one picture that is just awesome then you don`t have to worry you already have the best possible copy of your file. Post processing with Capture One is quick and simple and ads very little time and you can choose the quality of jpg. For top quality and for editing purpose Capture One will let you output to TIF.

Do yourself a favor and always shoot RAW, when you get that special picture, you will be very happy you did.

CH.Detailing
11-01-2012, 05:46 PM
Mostly JPEG myself. That is because I post my pictures on the internet, and compression being what it is, negates any difference post editing makes.

If you are shooting for big pictures or printing, the shooting RAW makes sense, but for most purpose JPEG works.

Like Todd said, if I`m detailing I just shoot JPEG. The extra processing time (file size) is noticeable on my D3100. If I`m shooting some sort of event that I might want a nice print from, and would like the extra room to edit, then I shoot RAW. I understand the benefit of RAW, but I normally don`t care.

I do most of my editing with Lightroom v2, occasionally Photoshop CS4 if I`m doing something with layers, and I host on either Flickr, SmugMug, or my own site. Where I host depends on the project.

addysdaddy
11-02-2012, 06:52 AM
I shoot nothing but RAW and process via Phase One - Capture One Pro 5.1.2 with my Canon I can choose to shoot both RAW and JPG or RAW with Embedded JPG, but I choose to just use the Capture One workflow to convert my files to jpg. The nice part of just taking RAW, is if you do end up taking that one picture that is just awesome then you don`t have to worry you already have the best possible copy of your file. Post processing with Capture One is quick and simple and ads very little time and you can choose the quality of jpg. For top quality and for editing purpose Capture One will let you output to TIF.

Do yourself a favor and always shoot RAW, when you get that special picture, you will be very happy you did.

As a professional photographer, what he said!!

rurocking
11-02-2012, 05:21 PM
Hey Todd...

While we are on the subject. How about giving us a discussion in the Autopia Forums Members Club (http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/#autopia-forums-members-club) to discuss photograhy/cameras, where we can alsoshare and show off some of our art

glfahlc1
11-02-2012, 08:27 PM
i shoot with a full frame digital and also film but when i shoot with the digital i usually set it to shoot raw plus jpeg. and when i wanna work on editing my raw files i use photoshop 9

PPLd
11-03-2012, 01:23 AM
I shoot Canon`s CR2 and Nikon`s NEF raw formats.
I use Digital Photo Professional and Capture NX2 to process / convert the photos.
The image quality is much better this way. Shooting in JPEG defeat the entire purpose of investing in quality photo equipment, just like after detailing a car wipe it with newspaper.

I tried Lightroom but dont like it. I have my own way of organizing photos.

Bunky
11-03-2012, 05:46 AM
I do plan to get a new Nikon (looking at the D7000 replacement or go full frame with the D600). The megapixel race continues as some debate how many is enough. The file size for D600 raw file is 30 MB each!

07gtcs
11-03-2012, 10:39 AM
I shoot JPG, RAW eats up way to much memory on my cards. I edit with photoshop elements. you can see my work at Public Home | Hockeydad | Fotki.com, photo and video sharing made easy. (http://www.fotki.com/hockeydad)
I`m a pure hobbiest.

Thomas Dekany
11-03-2012, 12:17 PM
Raw is the way for me, now that I understand photography a little better. I use an OMD and Lightroom 4.2

PS: Todd - Raw vs Jpeg is like 9227 vs pcxp :)

The Driver
11-03-2012, 07:12 PM
Both, 645 Pro FTW!

holland_patrick
11-04-2012, 09:27 PM
Just JPG here used to shoot raw but it was easier to shoot in jpg for the news paper