PDA

View Full Version : Should I get a DA?

Pages : [1] 2

W3bb3r04
10-26-2012, 11:48 AM
Im new! My name is RJ out of East TN. I currently have a cheaper rotary that I have and just purchased some better pads for and a new Chemical guys R4 backing pad. Should I still look into getting a DA? The obvious 2 choices are the PC 7424 and the Flex 3401. I havent found much info on this aspect. Most of the things just compare the PC and the Flex. Just wanted some advice on what would serve me better.

Im torn. At times I think of getting the PC just so I can finish out the Rotary marks and then others I want the Flex and just ditch the rotary until something really needs it, but $330 is a big initial hit. I know somewhere here will know something! Thanks!!

Reflectiveauto
10-26-2012, 12:45 PM
I have a buddy who owned a exotic detail shop who`s PC 7424 XP`s broke down so he needed a quick DA so he went to Harbor Freight and picked up a DA there for like $50 and he loves it. Its more powerful then the PC 7424XP and about the same weight. He loves that DA.

CH.Detailing
10-26-2012, 12:57 PM
On the other hand I can`t even count how many rotaries and DAs from Harbor Freight I`ve tossed in the trash. If you want quality, HF isn`t it.

W3bb3r04
10-26-2012, 12:59 PM
I just cant decide if the DA will be worth my money yet or if I should put more time into perfecting my rotary. Ive heard with a good backing plate and pads I can end up with no holigrams. On the other hand a bunch of people suggest getting a PC or a Flex.

BobbyG
10-26-2012, 01:02 PM
Hello RJ and :welcome: To Autopia Forums...
Personally I have both the Porter Cable 7424 and Flex 3401 dual action polishers. They are two completely different animals but both are top performers.

The Flex 3401 is an outstanding polisher but it is a bit pricey BUT it`s engineering, build, quality, and performance are legendary..

Porter Cable wrote the book on the dual action polisher and there are a host of similar designs on the market to choose from

I have the first generation Porter Cable 7424 and it`s 14 years old and soon to be 15.....and it`s still going strong...

It sounds like the Porter Cable 7424xp will serve you well and you`ll have quite a bundle of left over cash for foam pads and products...

My lineup of polishers and the Porter Cable 7424 is at the far left..

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/BobbyG53/Detailing/Collection_RD17.jpg

Orinda Auto Detail
10-26-2012, 01:03 PM
What are you using it for? Is this your buisness? Or just your hobby?

tropicsteve
10-26-2012, 01:09 PM
i still think you can`t beat a griot`s garage da, very powerful, and a lifetime warranty. i have the gg 3" and 6" da.

Orinda Auto Detail
10-26-2012, 01:11 PM
I just cant decide if the DA will be worth my money yet or if I should put more time into perfecting my rotary. Ive heard with a good backing plate and pads I can end up with no holigrams. On the other hand a bunch of people suggest getting a PC or a Flex.
If your having trouble with halograming up a car with a rotary I`d try keep the pad extremely flat and working small sections. It took me years to get to where I could get a car perfect just using a rotary. I actually got a lot better with a rotary after I learned how to use a DA(I went backwards). Just food for thought

W3bb3r04
10-26-2012, 01:20 PM
If your having trouble with halograming up a car with a rotary I`d try keep the pad extremely flat and working small sections. It took me years to get to where I could get a car perfect just using a rotary. I actually got a lot better with a rotary after I learned how to use a DA(I went backwards). Just food for thought

I use this just as a hobby but may end up using it some on the side for a few bucks. Havent used the pads Ive just bought yet. I had a little holigramming before but I think the new pads with the combo I have been using I "shouldnt" have any problems. Tangerine, Cyan, and red pads with the Chemical Guys R4 backing plate. I will be using my M105 and M205 combo along with Poliseal and optiseal. I guess I should try it before I go and buy a DA. :bigups

Reflectiveauto
10-26-2012, 01:31 PM
Im new! My name is RJ out of East TN. I currently have a cheaper rotary that I have and just purchased some better pads for and a new Chemical guys R4 backing pad. Should I still look into getting a DA? The obvious 2 choices are the PC 7424 and the Flex 3401. I havent found much info on this aspect. Most of the things just compare the PC and the Flex. Just wanted some advice on what would serve me better.

Im torn. At times I think of getting the PC just so I can finish out the Rotary marks and then others I want the Flex and just ditch the rotary until something really needs it, but $330 is a big initial hit. I know somewhere here will know something! Thanks!!

On the same note...also check out the Griots Garage 6" DA...It was my pick over the PC 7424XP because I didnt have to buy a backing plate for $30 when the Griots DA came with it and it was less expensive. Im glad I made that choice.

dd1101
10-26-2012, 01:35 PM
On the same note...also check out the Griots Garage 6" DA...It was my pick over the PC 7424XP because I didnt have to buy a backing plate for $30 when the Griots DA came with it and it was less expensive. Im glad I made that choice.

And I believe the Griots is more powerful :rockon. If you hold off a new version should be coming out in Dec.

Orinda Auto Detail
10-26-2012, 01:42 PM
I use this just as a hobby but may end up using it some on the side for a few bucks. Havent used the pads Ive just bought yet. I had a little holigramming before but I think the new pads with the combo I have been using I "shouldnt" have any problems. Tangerine, Cyan, and red pads with the Chemical Guys R4 backing plate. I will be using my M105 and M205 combo along with Poliseal and optiseal. I guess I should try it before I go and buy a DA. :bigups
Sounds like a good ideal if you need any help feel free to ask, everyone here is more than helpful. One thing that helps me a lot when checking my work is using IPA or CarPro Eraser Intense Oil & Polish Cleanser 500ml. (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/carpro-eraser-cleanser.html) to make sure I`m not hiding any possible buffer trash with polish oil. Good luck and hope to see some pics soon

ihaveacamaro
10-26-2012, 01:51 PM
And I believe the Griots is more powerful :rockon. If you hold off a new version should be coming out in Dec.

I believe the new one is just a color change and some rubber trim on the model.

Motor-wise, I think it is the same. So essentially the same machine, but nicer to look at and hold.

glen e
10-26-2012, 01:57 PM
love the griots - done hundreds of cars and boats with it...5 yrs old....

rurocking
10-26-2012, 02:00 PM
I believe the new one is just a color change and some rubber trim on the model.

Motor-wise, I think it is the same. So essentially the same machine, but nicer to look at and hold.

Not to forget it is guaranteed for life also.