PDA

View Full Version : Can you suggest a "poor man`s" method of pad cleaning?

rsessums
10-19-2012, 09:44 AM
Hi,

I just spent $200+ on a Porter Cable buffer, potions, elixirs, textiles, pads, etc. I am very happy with the results that I have achieved using all this new gear - and even happier to finally chunk the old Walmart/Turtle Wax buffer into the trash.

As I had already spent more money than I expected I would, I did not order any of the foam pad cleaning items, hence I am wondering if anybody else gets away with just using household items for cleaning their own foam pads.

I have been using Formula 409™, an old soft toothbrush, and lots of water for rinsing and this SEEMS to be doing a decent job for me. As long as I rinse very thoroughly I feel that I am not leaving residue on the pads which would cause there to be unwanted abrasion later.

Any suggestions, warnings, ideas, horror stories or affirmations of my "poor man`s" method.

BTW: I am an amateur newbie and have been detailing only family cars (and have had really good results so far - thanks to this forum and you`lls shared wisdom).

Thank you in advance for your comments.

RZJZA80
10-19-2012, 09:53 AM
Dawn Power Dissolver (small blue spray bottle), rinse the dirty pad, spray some dawn on it, let it sit for a few minutes, then agitate with your fingers, rinse the pad again, get as much water out as possible and let air dry.

BobbyG
10-19-2012, 10:07 AM
I`ve found that using an all purpose cleaner in warm-hot water works pretty well. I also discovered that BlackFire Pad Cleaner is about the best pre-wash pad spray there is on the planet, seriously.

Spray, kneed in, let soak, then submerge in warm water to rinse....

I`ve also used DP Pad Cleaner with tremendous success! :bigups

Detailer`s Pro Series Polishing Pad Rejuvenator (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/dp-pad-cleaner.html)

"Detailer’s Pro Series Polishing Pad Rejuvenator was created to provide detailers with a fast and effective way to clean pads without soapy residue or foamy degreasers. From the manufacturer of Snappy Clean, this concentrated powder dissolves in water to create the ultimate pad cleaning solution. Detailer’s Pro Series Polishing Pad Rejuvenator quickly releases caked-on polish and wax from foam and lambswool pads, allowing you to get more life out of your buffing pads."

dd1101
10-19-2012, 10:14 AM
Dawn and simple green works really well.

Beemerboy
10-19-2012, 10:39 AM
Dish soap with a soft brush have always cleaned mine.

Orinda Auto Detail
10-19-2012, 10:52 AM
Glad your having such great luck detailing! I use to soak mine in warm water in dish soap and it that always seemed to work

mjlinane
10-19-2012, 12:50 PM
Free & Clear Laundry Detergent (+ Oxyclean optional) in a bucket. I sometimes follow in the machine with MF Detergent.

Spritz of Pad Cleaner or APC doesn`t hurt.

Paul Sparks
10-19-2012, 01:04 PM
I have a container of apc that I throw pads in and when I get time they go to the kitchen sink for cleaning. You method of cleaning with a brush will work just fine .

glen e
10-19-2012, 04:24 PM
Tide liquid for me

skibik
10-19-2012, 06:08 PM
Laundry detergent here and warm or fairly hot water and they seem to come out clean, rinse them well.

:D

pwaug
10-19-2012, 07:38 PM
While polishing I use a terry towel (as recommended by Mike) and a denture brush from the Dollar Store to clean on the fly. When it`s time to switch pads throw them in a bucket with some Dawn to soak until the end of the polishing session. Then Dawn Power Dissolver (as mentioned by others) at Walmart for $2.83 per bottle. Rinse very well--then I put them between a few layers of old bath towels and stand on them for a few seconds--removes almost all the moisture--then Velcro side up to air dry on a wire rack of some sort--good to go by the next morning.

RTexasF
10-19-2012, 08:23 PM
Mine get thrown in the washing machine with Charlie`s Soap. Been doing that for many years, it works just fine and I don`t have to stand at the sink screwing around with them. If they are really bad they go in a bucket of Oxyclean and water until I finally remember I put them there, then they go in the washer.

Bunky
10-20-2012, 08:46 AM
Pads with polishes usually clean up easily but pads used for sealants do not.

ihaveacamaro
10-20-2012, 09:07 PM
Pads with polishes usually clean up easily but pads used for sealants do not.

This is so true, I always dedicate my red foam pad to whatever sealant went on it first.