PDA

View Full Version : Halogen correction on a 25ft boat?????

Orinda Auto Detail
08-02-2012, 04:30 PM
So I had a customer who I did a full halogen correction on his car ask if I could do the same to his boat. I`ve done like 5 boats in past few months I use the sun as my guide. Is this silly to even attempt? I could only imagine this would take a million hours as doing a regular correction on boat is very time consuming anyway. I would of just taken the job and did it out side but the guy watched me do his ferrari for like 4 hours with halo`s and wants the scratches he cant see gone... Thoughts? "coff" L&I:yay

Trouble
08-02-2012, 04:42 PM
Give him an hourly rate and tell him you have as much time as he needs ;)

btw what is a halogen correction?

L&I Detailing
08-02-2012, 07:40 PM
The halos on boats come from poor detailers most likely guys to be PC using day laborers slapping a coat of Garys on and going to town with the makita its rather impressive/entertaining to watch them do it especially a boat with a flybridge since those get killed by the sun. I use 3m`s finesse it ii 05928 for the quart or 05929 for the gallon stuff will take that haloing out in a heartbeat on a speed of 4 on my makita which is roughly 2100rpms i believe. You can use either a wool pad or foam sometimes foam gets eaten up by the snaps on boats and shred quickly.

After youve finessed the boat go over it with you DA griots or PC whichever you use and apply the wax with that and it will get any swirls that are left behind on speed 3. The key to the glass like finish is with the DA once i switched to using it my work went to the next level.

What kind of boat is it? cause like i said bridges are much trickier to work on. Hope it helps let me know if you need anything else!!

Orinda Auto Detail
08-02-2012, 08:04 PM
The halos on boats come from poor detailers most likely guys to be PC using day laborers slapping a coat of Garys on and going to town with the makita its rather impressive/entertaining to watch them do it especially a boat with a flybridge since those get killed by the sun. I use 3m`s finesse it ii 05928 for the quart or 05929 for the gallon stuff will take that haloing out in a heartbeat on a speed of 4 on my makita which is roughly 2100rpms i believe. You can use either a wool pad or foam sometimes foam gets eaten up by the snaps on boats and shred quickly.

After youve finessed the boat go over it with you DA griots or PC whichever you use and apply the wax with that and it will get any swirls that are left behind on speed 3. The key to the glass like finish is with the DA once i switched to using it my work went to the next level.

What kind of boat is it? cause like i said bridges are much trickier to work on. Hope it helps let me know if you need anything else!!
No it`s not halo`s lol sorry for the confusion. He wants me to correct the boat under halogens which in direct sunlight you can fully correct a car and then put a halogen on it and see a lot of scratches you couldn`t see in the sun. Have you ever done this to boat? I can only imagine it would be insanely time consuming

L&I Detailing
08-02-2012, 09:43 PM
Oh my apologies I read that wrong! lol I have never seen that before on a boat would also be difficult and nearly impossible in some spots especially if its in the water. IMO not worth the time and frustration most boat owners really dont pick up on scratches like that even the big boat owners a lot want them excessively clean a good shine to it.

eddiemesser
08-28-2012, 08:53 PM
I take the snaps off every boat I detail... saves me time and looks better when done.no compound in the snap or black on the pad and boat.Detailed about 20 boats before I started removing them...lol