PDA

View Full Version : From out of the NC shadows....

thafool
07-30-2012, 12:03 PM
Howdy all.

I`ve been lurking for a several weeks since I got an almost new car that is actually worth keeping in good shape. It started as a search for info on what wax to use, and turned into OMG my paint is completely screwed - hand me the 105 and a yellow pad. I`ve flirted with detailing in the past, but never really committed to to it. Well, now I`ve got the `itis` bad and I`ve decided to see how deep the rabbit hole goes. A few weeks ago I couldn`t spell Meguiar`s, but now I worry about things like whether to buy a DA polisher or a rotary (or both ;)), or whether my swirls need an white or green pad. But I`m basically still a noob.

Now, before the outcry starts of "don`t use a rotary! you`ll burn your paint you incompetent boob! burn him at the stake!", let me just say that I`m starting with a PC DA, and my wife has foolishly agreed to let me practice on her minivan before I do anything crazy to my own paint. She has a few `corrections` that I have messed with over the last few years, and while they have done well at protecting the paint, they are hideous, and I had planned on taking them to a shop to fix anyway. So the worst that happens is I pay someone to do it anyway, and it`s white so I`ll get a little bit of a break on the learning curve there I hope.

I tend to be pretty cautious, patient, and methodical with this sort of stuff, so I think I can be good at it with some experience. I`ve gotten through the washing and claying on my car, but now I have a real hurdle to get over with chips, scratches, and chips/scratches someone else has poorly repaired. Oh... did I mention my new ride is very dark blue? Guess I`m a glutton for punishment, but I love the color, and I love a good challenge.

So thank you all in advance for this incredible resource, and for answering my dumb questions. In return, I promise to screw up a bunch of stuff and post pics so you can laugh at my noob mistakes. :D

Nth Degree
07-30-2012, 12:57 PM
Welcome. I am in Morrisville and would be happy to help you out. What part of Raleigh are you in? If you have time this week you are welcome to swing by. Will send info in PM.

tropicsteve
07-30-2012, 01:04 PM
welcome to AF, you`ve come to a great place to learn from some true masters. smart move going with a da polisher first. How to Properly Use the Porter Cable 7424XP Dual Action Polisher (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/porter-cable-how-to-dvd.html) is money well spent as a good starting point. the principles apply to all da polishers. :)

mjlinane
07-30-2012, 01:12 PM
Welcome to AutopiaForums!!

You might think about MF pads. They work wonders with a DA.

Todd@RUPES
07-30-2012, 02:10 PM
Welcome to AutopiaForums! We are glad to have you here!

Pats300zx
07-30-2012, 03:50 PM
Welcome to AF !!!

rider9195
07-30-2012, 04:17 PM
Welcome to AutopiaForums!

Bunky
07-30-2012, 04:28 PM
Welcome from Raleigh !

thafool
07-30-2012, 05:36 PM
Thank you all - I appreciate the good response.