PDA

View Full Version : Proper way of doing a 50/50 IPA wipe down on a black car?

JJH
07-13-2012, 08:47 PM
It`s very difficult to not put swirls into the paint or micro scratches when doing a 50/50 wipe down of a black car, especially one with soft paint. What is the best method of doing a 50/50 wipe down? Do you spritz each panel with the solution and then wipe it down with a microfiber? Or do you spray the 50/50 directly on the microfiber and go over each panel like that? I`m trying to do this as carefully as possible as I don`t want to cancel out the compound and polish that I just completed.

Rocket
07-13-2012, 09:55 PM
Maybe you should try Carpro Eraser. I think it`s less grabby compared to IPA. I think this might help reduce the risk of marring.

I always spray the panel with IPA but maybe try spraying the towel too. Maybe it will make it glide across the panel a little better. It might be worth a try.

Bunky
07-14-2012, 05:32 AM
I have tried the idea of mixing IPA (use 20% concentration) with a little ONR (1/4 ounce) to reduce the grabbiness. It did seem to work.

JJH
07-14-2012, 09:11 AM
I have tried the idea of mixing IPA (use 20% concentration) with a little ONR (1/4 ounce) to reduce the grabbiness. It did seem to work.

Doesn`t it still leave water spots and blotches for you?

Orinda Auto Detail
07-14-2012, 11:01 AM
I spray the towel directly and use a silicon free QD spray on the section im gonna wipe, then pat dry with clean mf and it always seem to work for me. Another thing I do sometimes if it`s really finicy paint is foam it down with a heavy nutral PH soap the while its foamed spray IPA(full strength over a panel at a time) Wash and rinse as I go

Bunky
07-14-2012, 02:32 PM
Doesn`t it still leave water spots and blotches for you?

No. Why would it if you wipe it down?

Wheelzntoys
07-14-2012, 03:51 PM
E are some threads with this mix, better than ONR mix. Looks like it works good for those that use it.

Rwright post:
In a 32oz bottle of a 25% IPA/distilled water solution, I simply added 1/2oz of D114