PDA

View Full Version : Full detail on my car! and not happy

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Focusedonsound
05-02-2004, 07:25 PM
Im not happy with the results...

Is it bad to start over again?

If not what should I do ... Im not happy with the results!!

EBPcivicsi
05-02-2004, 07:36 PM
If you`re not happy, why not start over?

Evaluate what could have gone wrong and what products you may need to acheive your desired look.

What was the problem?

What color car?

What products did you use?

Focusedonsound
05-02-2004, 07:55 PM
The car ...
2000 Ford Mustang GT Convertible Here is a picture
http://www.atouchofshabby.com/DSCN0334.JPG

This pic is from a few months back and and just after a wash and Megs final inspection.

What I did to the car yesterday is as followes

Wash With Megs Gold class

Clay With Mothers clay bar and Showtime spary

Megs Scratch X on the hood to try and remove some light swirls and some water etching (which was a pain in the arse to remove) and really didn`t help

Wash again with Megs gold class

Megs Cleaner (i think its # 1)

Megs Gold Class Glaze

Megs Gold Class Carnuba wax i think # 26

Megs Gold Class Final Inspection.

This was the first time I used a poliser/ and tryed it on my car. The paint just has a kind of haze to it ... espessially noticable at night with lights shining on it. You can see exactly the strokes that I made with the polisher (Dewalt)

What should I do differently Mind you I will propably be doing this by hand this time as I wasn`t very pleased with the result with the Polisher. I don`t know the differnt pads I was using he only gave me 2 different ones and he said to use one for applying the glaze and one for applying the Wax. Which is what I did. I did everything else by hand.

EBPcivicsi
05-02-2004, 08:07 PM
Dewalt 849? Rotary?

Do you know how to use them or was this your first time? If it is your first time, that is certainly the problem.

I do not know of a gold class glaze? Is it the discontinued Gc swirl reducer/prep?

Is the wax GC or is it #26?

Remember it is not the products, it is usually technique and tools, IMO anyway.

Focusedonsound
05-02-2004, 08:25 PM
here is the products that i used.
http://www.arizonatools.com/img/products/M/MEGG7116.JPG
http://www.meguiars.com/store_meguiars/images/product_g103.gif
http://ace.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pACE2-1190493dt.jpg

http://store4.yimg.com/I/classic-motoring_1774_1533966

Thats everything other than the paint cleaner and the Clay bar.

and no i have never used a rotary before.

When I go to redetail the exterior... waht should I do as prep before hand.

zesty-man
05-02-2004, 08:31 PM
whats the problem... the car looks great to me

EBPcivicsi
05-02-2004, 08:37 PM
I am afraid that you may have created more of a problem than can be handled by hand if you did indeed use a rotary.

The haze that you are talking about is probably "holograms" that are created when using a rotary buffer too fast, with not enough product, etc, etc.

The rotary should be used for correction only and applying a glaze or wax with it is just not the right application for the tool, IMO.

If you cannot get your hands on a PC, then you are going to have to really work to get these out by hand. They may not come out with a PC, it is hard to say without seeing it first hand.

Working by hand I would get some #83 DACP and use a folded 100% cotton terry cloth towel and RUB back and forth until the product disappears. If this does not remove the "haze" you will need someone who knows how to use your rotary or a PC.

Honestly, if I were you I would find a very skilled detailer in my area to fix it. Ask for references and pics.

I would then maintain his/her work and leave the rotary alone.

If you are interested in learning the art of the rotary, it is best to start on junk yard panels and beaters. The rotary takes a LONG time to truely master and using it before practicing can really be diastrous.

Good luck!

Focusedonsound
05-02-2004, 08:53 PM
The haze that you are talking about is probably "holograms" that are created when using a rotary buffer too fast, with not enough product, etc, etc.

Just hearing the word holograms tells me that this is the problem.

The holograms are only apearing on the back bumper. after I saw what I did I went around the whole car with a very brite light and that was the only place where I saw it. So I am guessing that my attention should mostly be focusing on that .

If you look in the picture above it shows most in the area to the left of the "M" and to the right of the "G"

PS: the pic above is not from yesterday its from a few months back.

jeff2417
05-02-2004, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by EBPcivicsi
If you`re not happy, why not start over?

Evaluate what could have gone wrong and what products you may need to acheive your desired look.

What was the problem?

What color car?

What products did you use?

****jeff bites his tongue****

Focusedonsound
05-02-2004, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by jeff2417
****jeff bites his tongue****

Please speak up as any and all help is much appreciated.

Focusedonsound
05-02-2004, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Focusedonsound

Edit: Also ... I really don`t have the cash to get the car detailed professionally.

jeff2417
05-02-2004, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Focusedonsound

Well, It`s no secret to the DC community that I`m not a fan of *most* of Meguiars stuff. First, wash off that wax with some dishwashing liquid a couple times. When the water doesn`t want to roll off anymore and just kinda "stays there," the wax is pretty much done. As for paint prep, I hope you haven`t done too much damage with that polisher...If you`re gonna attempt something by hand, try some of Poorboy`s SSR`s. I would try SSR2 by hand to see if it removes the haze, and follow that up with a round of SSR1. After that, I would seal that shine in with either Klasse Sealant Glaze, Poorboy`s EX-P, or Megs Polymer Sealant. Then you have a nice foundation for your favorite wax...just remember, for a Black car (in my opinion) I would go with Trade Secret or Souveran Wax as your finishing touch to deepen that darkness. One of my friends has a 1994 Black GT Convertible, and he did 10 coats of Trade Secret with me last year, and our cars were BLINGIN.

My 2 cents,
Jeff.

P.S.---Since you clayed last time, no need this time.

Focusedonsound
05-02-2004, 09:45 PM
I would like to stick to what I have. (Which is all Megs and Mothers) I also have some 3M products that i have access to.

This is what im thinking of doing ....

Wash with Megs Gold class soap.

1. Using a 100% tery cloth Mothers Paint cleaner
http://www.mothers.com/products/productcatalog/productpix/07100.jpg
Ive found that this works very well. (in the past)

Hopfully once I have done this I will be back to normal ... And I will be just doing my normal 3 coats of Mothers #26

Agent Phonar
05-02-2004, 10:19 PM
:wait

No experience w/rotary + black paint = TROUBLE

I agree w/the others. You should probably find someone in your area that can help you out. That is a really nice car and it will be worth the $$$$$ to get that paint looking like glass again.
If you swirled or hazed it with the rotary I dont think your gonna get them out by hand but I guess anything is possible.

If you get it figured out post some pics.
GOOD LUCK:)

Focusedonsound
05-02-2004, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Agent Phonar
:wait

No experience w/rotary + black paint = TROUBLE

I agree w/the others. You should probably find someone in your area that can help you out. That is a really nice car and it will be worth the $$$$$ to get that paint looking like glass again.
If you swirled or hazed it with the rotary I dont think your gonna get them out by hand but I guess anything is possible.

If you get it figured out post some pics.
GOOD LUCK:)

i know im sick to my stomach just sitting here thinking about it.
If I had a garage to work in I would be out there right now...

I am going to stay away from the rotary as we can tell I have no experience with it untill yesterday. and the results were way less than expected (from not knowing any better i guess)

Im going to try tommrow like i said with the Cleaner ...

Is there any other tips you guys can give me?