PDA

View Full Version : What era of car do you like the most?+

Pages : [1] 2 3

Todd@RUPES
06-28-2012, 03:52 PM
I am a car guy, I like all cars. Origin, lay out, cylinders, etc do not make much a difference to me. I just love these mechanical things on four wheels, particularly when they are designed, built, or both with passion. What era of car peaks your interest the most? If you have a specific genre you prefer tell us about it.

Antique Built before 1941
Classic 1941-1962
Muscle 1963-1972
Post Muscle 1972-1984
Pre Modern 1984-2000
Modern 2000 +
Other (Specific)

Pockets
06-28-2012, 04:29 PM
New......

Haha

Old Pirate
06-28-2012, 05:42 PM
I pick the Muscle era because I got to ride and drive them with my late Dad and uncle`s who love to drag race their cars back then and saw so many of them on the street and that smell of muscle car`s like no others out there. The best time I had was with my Dad was in his 63 Impala SS 409 with 425 HP and the sound was so sweet that I always love riding in it. I miss him and those great days.

Concours.John
06-28-2012, 06:34 PM
It would be easier to name what I didn`t like of those periods. Especially Pre 72 there isn`t much I didn`t like.

grisby
06-28-2012, 06:57 PM
As you can tell by my avatar, I like the muscle car era, including the big boats from that era!!

BobbyG
06-28-2012, 07:06 PM
I picked the Muscle Car era because that was my era!! :bigups

I lived it
I drove them
I owned them

OH Man I`m OLD!!........:passout:

My 1970 340 Cuda
My 2004 Z06

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/BobbyG53/Z06%20Corvette/CudaZ06-650.jpg

Orinda Auto Detail
06-28-2012, 07:22 PM
I love the new designs on a lot of cars!

Favorite car ever Nissan GT-R(I`m gonna have one these before the years up!)
458 is 2nd and probably would be first if I could afford it.
ZR-1`s are super sick
even the modern kia`s and stuff look good.

Nth Degree
06-28-2012, 07:41 PM
Which to choose? Which to choose?
:thought:

:dunno:I can`t pick just one. I like the fins of the 50`s, and the muscle of the 60`s and 70`s and the new cars today are just beautiful. I abstain.:cool:

tropicsteve
06-28-2012, 08:03 PM
oh man, vettes , mustangs and a 1964 chevy impala ss convertible.

ca.detailchick
06-28-2012, 09:53 PM
I like the new and modern cars .

I really dont care for detailing old cars unless they are already pristine!

Dr Oldz
06-28-2012, 10:03 PM
Muscle cars baby! There is just something special about big V8`s, loud exhaust and a lack of overflow tanks on coolant systems!!!

CH.Detailing
06-29-2012, 12:43 AM
Modern cars are soulless to me. I grew up in the import era where cheap 4-bangers were cool (still are?), but they don`t do anything for me on an emotional level. Without regurgitating what every auto columnist writes, modern cars lack the care and craftsmanship of those from old, and are often mandated not by creative and personal design but by passing crash test regulations.

I picked the classic era not because those cars are nostalgic for me, but because I believe they are cars in the truest sense.

With that said I love all cars! Even if I would never buy one, I can certainly appreciate another`s decision to do so.

Bunky
06-29-2012, 05:20 AM
I thought the American automobile industry lost it ways during the mid-70s and through the 80s. If you want to see some it look at shows like Hawaii 5-0 with all those Fords (LTD, Elite, Lincoln) and the Chrysler mess with the Volare/Aspen and K-cars. One of GM`s biggest seller, the Olds Cutlass became nothing plus the x-bodies (Citation, etc) family.

This is where the imports learned the market and began their slow but steady takeover that was finalized in the early 90s.

TroyScherer
06-29-2012, 05:45 AM
I am definitely a Modern car guy. But at the same time I also appreciate older cars as well would like to own many of them...

Reality33
06-29-2012, 09:40 AM
Wow.. toughie to pick just one haha.

The antique / classic cars from marques like Ferrari, Alfa, Lotus, Bugatti, Jaguar, Aston etc were such beautiful automobiles. So many of them still look better then some of the cars made today and really are just jaw dropping in looks and performance for when they were built. (for example.. the Jaguar 1958 XK150 with its beautiful body and that made 250 HP with a 3.4L DOHC I6. In 58!!)

The Pre-modern cars of the 80`s and 90`s saw some truly great monsters come out of Japan (NSX, Supra, RX7, Skyline, WRX, Lancer, Celica, MR2.....) that jus had such great technology that is still talked about today and coveted to own. In the same time, manufactures from Europe were making cars like the Audi Quattro, the Ford RS Cossies, Ferrari F40, McLaren F1... cars were just going complete mental without all the fussy driving assists and paddle shifters. I think it was the peak for proper, bonkers, road cars as we knew it.

I think pre-modern was also my fav time in racing. The group B in WRC, Group C in LeMans, Turbo charged 1200+HP F1 cars (and some of the greatest drivers ever known). It was just before all the green stuff started hitting and every manufacturer from Ferrari to Skoda was making purpose based race cars that were pushing technology and drivers to the absolute limit.

So its safe to say that yes, give me a line up ranging from the beautiful hand crafted cars of the antique / classic era to the bonkers race and xxxxlogated road cars of the 80s - 90s and I would be happier then a pig in dirt =D