PDA

View Full Version : using a clay bar

feb
05-20-2012, 06:53 PM
I used a clay bar on my windshield today to get the water spots off and that works pretty good. What I found is, when I wanted to fold the clay bar to get a fresh side, some small pieces stuck to my hand. Is this normal?

mrclean81
05-20-2012, 08:37 PM
Its pretty normal. Its a pain in the butt sometimes, but it happens. Clay Magic Red and Car Brite Purple are terrible about it. I switched to Griots clay and havent had it happen yet, so it may vary from brand to brand. What clay were you using?

Time 2 shine
05-20-2012, 08:45 PM
I used a clay bar on my windshield today to get the water spots off and that works pretty good. What I found is, when I wanted to fold the clay bar to get a fresh side, some small pieces stuck to my hand. Is this normal?

There can be several reasons why this happenes from my experience.1) not enough clay lube being used. 2) your clay has been used to much and it`s time for a new piece. 3) Depending on what your using for clay lube it could be causing the clay bar to break down. 4) the size of the patty you form is to thin.

Solutions:
1) use more clay lube, spray clay bar and surface don`t be afraid to use a lot the more the merrier.
2) Replace clay bar with a new one
3)Change the type of clay lube you are using. ONR works great.
4)Make a thicker patty and use even pressure from your hand not your finger tips.

Hope this helps.

feb
05-20-2012, 09:14 PM
The clay bar I am using is from the mothers kit. It is the yellow one. I opened a fresh one today to use and I cut about 1/3 of the bar to use. The bar is fresh from the pack but I bought it about 2 years ago. Also, I used pretty much lube when doing the claying.

Todd@RUPES
05-21-2012, 06:02 AM
It could just be the formula of the clay. I would say that I rarely have that happen, but it does on occasion. Glad that it worked well on your windshield though!

ZimRandy
05-21-2012, 08:38 AM
I usually put on a pair of latex or nitrile gloves to keep the clay from sticking to my hand or fingers.

Randy

Gurge
05-21-2012, 09:00 AM
I`ve had that happen a little with mothers yellow

the air temp and whether you`re claying the car in direct sunlight can make this worse in my experience