PDA

View Full Version : God must be watching out for me!

Pages : [1] 2

ca.detailchick
05-12-2012, 11:48 PM
What a surprize to find my van had been broken into last night!

Why am I so happy then?:dance1
All that was taken was a change purse full of quarters ,a hammer and a bill/check holder that had 300 dollars worth of checks and 30 dollars in cash.

My neighbor stopped by this morning
and found my bill holder with the cash and checks still inside laying in the street and returned it to me!
The bandit must have fled and dropped it!:rockon

My van is packed full of valuable detailing supplies and a total of 5 buffing machines that would have cost me a fortune to replace.

My other neighbor didnt fair too well and got a computer stolen from her vehicle last night as well!

I consider myself most lucky and am counting my blessings!

mrclean81
05-12-2012, 11:57 PM
Yeah you got about as lucky as you can get. Be really thankful they didn`t steal your machines and supplies. That actually happened to me, and they got more than a few thousand dollars worth of equipment..they stole my lively hood. There`s nothing I hate more in this world than a thief. Maybe with any luck they will catch them.

Bunky
05-13-2012, 04:59 AM
Whew. I am glad to hear you did ok. They must have been wanting just cash.

Does insurance cover losses from item stolen from vehicles?

Pats300zx
05-13-2012, 05:48 AM
Wow. Very lucky indeed. Criminals SUCK !!!!

mjlinane
05-13-2012, 06:06 AM
Glad it wasn`t worse. Hopefully no damage was done to the van.

Does make me long for the time before I moved to SD when I lived in small town TX. People didn`t lock their doors still - and that was in the `90s!! Oh and gas was $0.799 / gal, too.

tropicsteve
05-13-2012, 07:54 AM
that sucks, but i think you were fortunate. with that much equipment around, it would probably be a good idea to invest in a audible burglar alarm. a basic system isn`t too expensive.

RTexasF
05-13-2012, 08:51 AM
I`m genuinely sorry to hear of it. Looking at the "it could have been worse" side of it is smart and the best you can do under the circumstances. Perhaps it`s time to invest in an alarm system?

Paul Mitchell
05-13-2012, 12:18 PM

There is probably no coverage under your Homeowners Policy since the missing items would most likely be considered as being used in a business. I say "probably" since some companies may cover business property under your Homeowners for a limited amount.

If you have a Business Owners Package Policy there most likely would be coverage subject to the deductible however the policies vary from company to company so you really have to check the fine print for relative exclusions.

ca.detailchick
05-13-2012, 12:31 PM
Yeah you got about as lucky as you can get. Be really thankful they didn`t steal your machines and supplies. That actually happened to me, and they got more than a few thousand dollars worth of equipment..they stole my lively hood. There`s nothing I hate more in this world than a thief. Maybe with any luck they will catch them.That really sucks .Im sorry that happened to you!:mad:

ca.detailchick
05-13-2012, 12:32 PM

No Al ,thats why I am considering myself so lucky!

ca.detailchick
05-13-2012, 12:35 PM
that sucks, but i think you were fortunate. with that much equipment around, it would probably be a good idea to invest in a audible burglar alarm. a basic system isn`t too expensive.
Ive been thinking about it.My last 2 vans had alarms and also gave me many headaches because of it,starting problems and alarm going off for no reason !

ca.detailchick
05-13-2012, 12:45 PM
I`m genuinely sorry to hear of it. Looking at the "it could have been worse" side of it is smart and the best you can do under the circumstances. Perhaps it`s time to invest in an alarm system?
Thanks RTexas!Giving the alarm some thought.

Heres what I think happened . Came home at 7PM and I think for some reason(old age ,memory LOL)I forgot to lock it. At 10PM I had a sudden "oh no ,did I lock my van moment?" and locked it twice from inside my house.

Im betting anything thats when they were rumiging through things and the locking sounds scared them off. Something scared them off because they only went through the front portion of my van and the inside dome light was left on. None of my other interior lights were on and everything else looked untouched.

They didnt break any glass to get in so I must have forgot to lock it for those couple hours.

C. Charles Hahn
05-13-2012, 01:23 PM
Yeah you got about as lucky as you can get. Be really thankful they didn`t steal your machines and supplies. That actually happened to me, and they got more than a few thousand dollars worth of equipment..they stole my lively hood. There`s nothing I hate more in this world than a thief. Maybe with any luck they will catch them.

I`d say rapists and murderers rank above thieves in my "book of hate" but yeah, anybody who screws with a person`s livelihood should absolutely rot in prison for doing so.

There is probably no coverage under your Homeowners Policy since the missing items would most likely be considered as being used in a business. I say "probably" since some companies may cover business property under your Homeowners for a limited amount.

If you have a Business Owners Package Policy there most likely would be coverage subject to the deductible however the policies vary from company to company so you really have to check the fine print for relative exclusions.

The other possibility is if the van is covered under a commercial auto policy (as in, not indicated for private/leisure use) your equipment may be covered while it is inside the vehicle. All depends on who is writing the policy and what coverages are included.

Ive been thinking about it.My last 2 vans had alarms and also gave me many headaches because of it,starting problems and alarm going off for no reason !

Sounds like you just need to find a better installer... I`ve had alarms on Astro vans before and the only problem I ever had was the "brain" for the alarm dying; easy enough to have replaced under warranty. It never affected engine starting since there was no starter disable installed, just shock sensors, tilt sensors, door ajar detection, and RKE.

Orinda Auto Detail
05-13-2012, 02:27 PM
Glad they didn`t take much! And your in the bay area right? I happen to Install alarms at the other shop I work at! I`ll hook ya up with a no head ache one at cost one detailer to another if you like. I have ones that work like Keyless go on cars if your with in 2 feet of the vehicle on any side with the fab in your pocket all doors unlock, if you walk away it locks up and arms it self :P

ca.detailchick
05-13-2012, 02:47 PM
I`d say rapists and murderers rank above thieves in my "book of hate" but yeah, anybody who screws with a person`s livelihood should absolutely rot in prison for doing so.

The other possibility is if the van is covered under a commercial auto policy (as in, not indicated for private/leisure use) your equipment may be covered while it is inside the vehicle. All depends on who is writing the policy and what coverages are included.

Sounds like you just need to find a better installer... I`ve had alarms on Astro vans before and the only problem I ever had was the "brain" for the alarm dying; easy enough to have replaced under warranty. It never affected engine starting since there was no starter disable installed, just shock sensors, tilt sensors, door ajar detection, and RKE.
Thanks Charlie!

I dont have a commercial policy on my van. It was quite expensive as I remember.

Thanks for the info on a better alarm installer, maybe down the road.
For now I just ordered a fake alarm set up for 10 bucks!:D