PDA

View Full Version : One More Vinyl Stripe Question

melissa809
04-26-2012, 03:48 PM
Okay...so I managed to tap something with my bumper and put a tiny nick as well as a quarter inch area of "wrinkling" on my vinyl stripe. Is there a way to flatten this out before touching up the nick?

Also...is Dr Color Chip safe to use on vinyl stripes?

Thanks in advance
Melissa

Beemerboy
04-26-2012, 04:19 PM
Okay...so I managed to tap something with my bumper and put a tiny nick as well as a quarter inch area of "wrinkling" on my vinyl stripe. Is there a way to flatten this out before touching up the nick?

Also...is Dr Color Chip safe to use on vinyl stripes?

Thanks in advance
Melissa

I would get a hair dryer and very slowly heat the wrinkle up, not hot just warm and using a clean towel, gently knead the area flat towards the outer edges. It worked for me trying the get a few bubbles out on a stripe someone laid on there car that wasn`t done right.

I`ve never used Dr Colorchip

Ecrissman
04-26-2012, 05:20 PM
Beemerboy is exactly right. Warm the sticker it will soften and you should be able to push mostly back into place. I have not used any type of paint on a vinyl sticker before and honestly I dont think it`s a good idea. I would be concerned that the thinner that is already in the paint would dissolve the sticker.

melissa809
04-27-2012, 05:10 AM
I came across alot of stuff on the internet where people have used touchup paint. One guy with a Shelby even claims to have used DR Colorchip....but I just wanted to double check. How are your stripes holding up???

Ecrissman
04-27-2012, 05:34 AM
I came across alot of stuff on the internet where people have used touchup paint. One guy with a Shelby even claims to have used DR Colorchip....but I just wanted to double check. How are your stripes holding up???

I havent had any problems with my strioes at all. They had some minor water marks or bird dropping etching that i was able to remove with menzerna super polish and super finish and a flex xc3401 and by hand. The menzerna did take the some of the black outline off where i went over it while correcting the trunk. It is extremely minor and no one would ever know but me, but it happened.
As far as touch up paint on a vinyl stripe I luckily havent needed to do anything like that. I as stated above would be concerned with the reducer (acetone/lacquer thinner) that is used to keep the paint liquid in touch up paint. I wouod be concerned it would partially disolve the vinyl and would affect the adhesive in the surrounding area. I have heard of people using a Sharpie permanent marker to touch up stone chips in the Shelby stripes.

Like all things if you have read others doing it and are confident in the process thats up to you. I would recommend you join team shelby and ask your question there. More than likely 99%+ of all shelby owners belong and you will get some proven advise by other owners. I did a quick search and a lot of threads come up. I`m using my Android so linking isnt working

Hope this helps!

Reality33
04-27-2012, 08:20 AM
Seems as though the stripes wrinkle has been answered.

In relation to Dr. Color Chip, if there is any paint that is clear coated under the area that you would try to touch up, the paint will not adhere. It will be removed when using the blending solution as the kit is meant to only adhere to bare metal or primer. Basically the area that would be left behind after a rock chipped your bonnet.

Todd@RUPES
04-27-2012, 08:48 AM
You can get touch up paint that is similar in color to the stripe and just dab it in with a plastic toothpick. It won`t look perfect, but the only way to get it perfect again is going to be to replace the stripe.

Ecrissman
04-27-2012, 09:12 AM
You can get touch up paint that is similar in color to the stripe and just dab it in with a plastic toothpick. It won`t look perfect, but the only way to get it perfect again is going to be to replace the stripe.

Toothpick is a good idea very small droplet, on the other site.. replacement was the preferred method.

mrclean81
04-27-2012, 01:26 PM

If I had a car like this, this would be what I would do. I`m not sure if the original stripes are available, but if not then your taking the chance of it not being exact. With a car like a Shelby, I would think originality would mean a lot, especially later down the road.

melissa809
04-27-2012, 01:58 PM
Hey, thanks guys. Yeah, the nick is very tiny. I`m going to use a hair dryer to flatten out the wrinkle and then touch up the nick with touch up paint and call it a day. Thanks for all the advice!

Melissa