PDA

View Full Version : Oxidation removal

Orinda Auto Detail
04-03-2012, 11:22 AM
Ok so I have an old blazer that was out in the sun for a million years in my shop. I have only done a couple oxidized cars in the past and this one is the worste i`ve seen. I know the paint can be saved because I tryed a couple spots with UNO, Rotary, Wool pad. But here`s where I`m getting stumped am I suppose to cut then clay then polish? because clay does nothing before hand but afterward it smooths it out like 10% more, but far from what a car I just cut usually feels like . Sorry if theres been other post on this but, I`m a little lost and kinda confused as what my steps should be and really dont have time today to play with this thing so I just need to get it done and I can`t get it to feel like other cars I do. Is it lost cause? or am I missing something? THANK YOU!

mrclean81
04-03-2012, 11:32 AM
Heres some real world advise that some will gasp at. Forget the clay on this one because its not gonna do squat. Compound and wool + rotary. Major oxidation usually requires some pretty extreme measures to truely correct it. You have to have enough cut to remove the oxidation rather than just shine it up. If you dont remove it completly, it will fade back out in a week. Heres a write up I done on this a while back.
http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/detailers-showcase/31119-church-van-resurrection.html#post334807

Orinda Auto Detail
04-03-2012, 11:42 AM
Heres some real world advise that some will gasp at. Forget the clay on this one because its not gonna do squat. Compound and wool + rotary. Major oxidation usually requires some pretty extreme measures to truely correct it. You have to have enough cut to remove the oxidation rather than just shine it up. If you dont remove it completly, it will fade back out in a week. Heres a write up I done on this a while back.
http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/detailers-showcase/31119-church-van-resurrection.html#post334807
Holy cow your the man on that save! Ok so what I just gathered is call customer ask for to more days and switch from uno to 3m perfect it and be prepared to destroy all 6 wool pads I have lol. I will try to do this like you did that one. one more question though how do you know when you actually removed the oxidation? because to shine it up i`m removing almost no paint at all according to my gauge, should I just evenly take a mil off? Or is this just gonna have to be learning experience and ask customer bring it back in month so I can see what it looks like?

ca.detailchick
04-03-2012, 11:52 AM
Have you tried red clay magic?Its probably the most agressive clay out there.

Clay is usually done before compounding or polishing .

Is this a clear coat or single stage paint?

Orinda Auto Detail
04-03-2012, 11:58 AM
Have you tried red clay magic?Its probably the most agressive clay out there.

Clay is usually done before compounding or polishing .

Is this a clear coat or single stage paint?
Its cleared, and I wasn`t using red clay magic but a purple P&S bar that I`d never use on anything else unless it was destroyed because its really aggressive and hard on the paint. I agree with you on usually claying first but this is heavy oxidation and clay is doing nothing to it.

mrclean81
04-03-2012, 12:31 PM
Holy cow your the man on that save! Ok so what I just gathered is call customer ask for to more days and switch from uno to 3m perfect it and be prepared to destroy all 6 wool pads I have lol. I will try to do this like you did that one. one more question though how do you know when you actually removed the oxidation? because to shine it up i`m removing almost no paint at all according to my gauge, should I just evenly take a mil off? Or is this just gonna have to be learning experience and ask customer bring it back in month so I can see what it looks like?

Thanks :) Youll know when youve taken it far enough when the paint starts looking slick and new again. If you have a gauge, by all means use it, but your eyes will tell you a lot too. The gauge will help you to keep from going too far, but your going to have to move some paint in order to pull this off. Use your own judgement, dont step too far away from your comfort zone, and stay off of sharp points and body lines with the wool. Youll be fine as long as your careful. Just remember that oxidized paint can be a little thinner than normal so use your gauge and check your progress often. Good luck and post some pics.

Orinda Auto Detail
04-03-2012, 01:08 PM
Thanks :) Youll know when youve taken it far enough when the paint starts looking slick and new again. If you have a gauge, by all means use it, but your eyes will tell you a lot too. The gauge will help you to keep from going too far, but your going to have to move some paint in order to pull this off. Use your own judgement, dont step too far away from your comfort zone, and stay off of sharp points and body lines with the wool. Youll be fine as long as your careful. Just remember that oxidized paint can be a little thinner than normal so use your gauge and check your progess often. Good luck and post some pics.
Thanks for advice and will do!