PDA

View Full Version : To tape or not to tape

Pages : [1] 2

Bakerman
03-23-2012, 09:38 AM
Hello,
I am getting everything together for my first detailing of my 1997 Town Car. I wanted to find out your thoughts about taping the edges and trim. Is this step crucial or just for the perfectionists? Can I use standard masking tape, painters tape or do I need to use automotive tape?

I have some swirling/ spider webbing on the roof that I want to reduce/eliminate without being too aggressive. The trunk and hood are both re-painted recently so there are minimal issues there. The fenders and doors need some polishing but there is pin-striping that I am concerned about. Will this stand up to a polish or do I need to stay away from it?

All the windows and glass will be taped off just to keep from hitting the molding and weather stripping. The bumpers probably need to be done by hand. I just recently repainted the front one and I want to be gentle there.
I have been reading up and watched some videos and some folks insist on taping while other don`t seem too concerned. I am asking due to the size of the car. It is going to be a full day job and I really do not want to make any mistakes if I can help it.

Thanks for reading and for any help/suggestions.

Bakerman

Roadrunner STi
03-23-2012, 09:57 AM
I always tape up trim, the xtra time removing white streaks and product from trim and plastic molding outweighs the time it takes to tape the area and then pull it off and clean up the area...

Just my $.02

RaskyR1
03-23-2012, 09:59 AM
Tape is cheap, trim and paint is not. If it can get damaged from polishing, I tape it! :bigups

I use the Meguiar`s 3/4" tape (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-auto-masking-tape.html).

Addicted2Bling
03-23-2012, 10:05 AM
If you`re using a rotary I would definitely tape off the edges. A dual action you can get by without taping, just make sure you have some good trim restorer to remove excess polish...

Beemerboy
03-23-2012, 11:55 AM
Tape is cheap, trim and paint is not. If it can get damaged from polishing, I tape it! :bigups

I use the Meguiar`s 3/4" tape (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-auto-masking-tape.html).

If you`re using a rotary I would definitely tape off the edges. A dual action you can get by without taping, just make sure you have some good trim restorer to remove excess polish...

Both of these post make the most sense for taping. I mean you don`t have to get carried away with it, just use some common sense on what looks like could be damaged or stained. If your using a PC your not going to need as much tape as you would with a rotary

Nth Degree
03-23-2012, 12:51 PM
It might seem like taping is wasted time, but it is often not. The time saved in working up to the edges safely when taped more than makes up for it. Even if you break even on the time, the $3 roll of painters tape is a small cost for the insurance compared to a $50-$500 piece of trim.

Bakerman
03-23-2012, 01:12 PM
Awesome info people, thanks!

Todd@RUPES
03-23-2012, 01:56 PM
I once worked on a Lamborghini that a detailer (who claimed to be me) burned the window trim with a rotary. The damage total was something like 3K!

Great replies in this thread.

Old Pirate
03-23-2012, 02:17 PM
Tape is the cheapest insurance policy to have, I always recommend doing it.

Stokdgs
03-23-2012, 09:26 PM
Bakerman --
I also agree with every post above mine. I always like to tape up any rubber trim around windows. If its metal trim like stainless steel, etc., I dont worry about it but rubber around windows, sun roofs, fender edges like on some SUV`s, and the rubber trim around front and back windows down the A pillar, and top and sides of the back glass, and the tiny rubber sometimes around the B pillars, Im going to take the quick moment to tape them off so I dont have to go back and fix them, and .hope my Rotary didnt change the texture of it if I accidently touch it..

Dan F

Mhein
03-24-2012, 08:48 AM
Taping up a vehicle is highly recommended as noone else disagrees from the replies. And it will give you a more professional look with the light scratches and spider webbing so you can work closer to the edge. Most detailers around my way will just work around it and you can definately see the edges where they are missed. (Not Professional)

C. Charles Hahn
03-24-2012, 09:03 AM
I once worked on a Lamborghini that a detailer (who claimed to be me) burned the window trim with a rotary. The damage total was something like 3K!

Great replies in this thread.

Ah, the infamous Holden_C04 disaster.... gotta love that guy :wall

Todd@RUPES
03-27-2012, 08:12 AM
Bakerman --
I also agree with every post above mine. I always like to tape up any rubber trim around windows. If its metal trim like stainless steel, etc., I dont worry about it but rubber around windows, sun roofs, fender edges like on some SUV`s, and the rubber trim around front and back windows down the A pillar, and top and sides of the back glass, and the tiny rubber sometimes around the B pillars, Im going to take the quick moment to tape them off so I dont have to go back and fix them, and .hope my Rotary didnt change the texture of it if I accidently touch it..

Dan F

Even some metal trim can bleed black if you hit it with a polisher which could (in theory) affect the performance of the polish. Just a counterpoint.

The absolute WORST is any 996 Porsche and after with a sun roof. The felt around those is so thin (and the tape doesn`t really stick) that you end up taping the outside first, polishing the sun roof, then taping the inside to polish the outside. Yuck.

Nth Degree
03-27-2012, 08:35 AM
... end up taping the outside first, polishing the sun roof, then taping the inside to polish the outside. Yuck.

Yep. Hate taping sun roofs. With those and targa tops where the lines are long and straight I often will use the same piece of tape and simply move it the half inch or so to the other panel. Saves tape and time and allows me to get right to the edge of each panel.

Jeff U
03-27-2012, 06:35 PM
Thanks to all for the info!

I understand taping around window, trim, etc… What about the gaps and edges around the hood, doors, trunk, etc….

I see some photos with these gaps taped but most in process photos do not show these taped.

Do you tape these? If yes, how do you polish the small stripe covered by the tape?