PDA

View Full Version : Touch Up Help

1hotboss
03-17-2012, 05:19 PM
Very Much a Newbie....I have a couple of scratches and areas that need addressing on my classic car....cc/bc painted 3 years ago...I ended up getting some touch up paint (water based and some clear coat)....can some one please give me some simple directions on how to properly apply to the scratches and to do this without making things worse...Thanks

Old Pirate
03-17-2012, 06:36 PM
Pictures would be nice and how deep and wide are they?

Old Pirate
03-17-2012, 06:44 PM
Before starting any paint job, you need to make sure you get the right color that matches your car color. I like to mask the surrounding area. I would just clean it with warm water and use grease remover to remove any residues from polishes and waxes before touching up.

The next step is to cover the area with primer in order to protect it from rust and if it`s way too deep and to help the paint to adhere better. It’s always important to remember to never use paint on bare metal or plastic. Mix the paint in it`s bottle and then apply it on the spot by using a toothpick or a very fine matchstick (in the case of smaller scratches). Be careful not to use too much paint as it has to be no thicker than the rest of the surrounding area. With that, you leave it like that for a few hours to dry completely or a day. Once you have cover it up you then may wet sand that area and use a Rotary with polish/compound to level and mask it in. Once finish and sure it`s done you can wax that area.

Hopes this helps.