PDA

View Full Version : Salt spray and plastic chrome

Bakerman
03-16-2012, 10:33 AM
Hey all,

I am working hard on trying to revitalize my 1997 Town Car. I have a question for the forum: Can plastic chrome be cleaned of salt spray damage? I am thinking this may be too far gone. Since it is plastic that has been chromed is there a cleaner /polish that will improve it?

Since it is a Town car it has little bits of chromed plastic everywhere, and the salt spray from the Atlantic Ocean was not kind. Some parts are so far gone I am replacing them. Some parts are no longer available so that is my focus area. I know I am up against it, so any help is as always appreciated.

TIA
Bakerman

AndrewBigA
03-16-2012, 10:38 AM
need pics dude.

Old Pirate
03-16-2012, 11:44 AM
You might have to replace them it their damaged. But pictures are needed.

Beemerboy
03-16-2012, 12:10 PM
I`m with Big A pics are required on this one, to many variables to make a suggestion

Todd@RUPES
03-16-2012, 02:30 PM
If it is light staining, then yes it can be cleaned (mostly). If it has etched or damaged the plastic chrome plating then it is a goner. As echoed above, posting pics might help up diagnose the issue.

Bakerman
03-19-2012, 07:23 AM
Hey,
Sorry for the delay. Had to locate my camera. Here are some snaps of what I`m talking about.

Payne
03-19-2012, 11:21 AM
I doubt there is any way at all to bring back the chrome. I would paint it all black. But there are plastic chrome platers if you cannot find replacements and insist on keeping it all original.

Bakerman
03-19-2012, 01:00 PM
Payne and Todd,

Thanks for the response(s). I thought it might be toast but it never hurts to ask. The replacement parts for the door windows are $250 each. The 2 windsheilds run around $250 plus installation costs. I am going to try some home -made rust remover ( baking soda and lemon juice ) to see what I can get off. If it still looks close to what I have I will just ignore it ( or paint it black). I am not paying $1000 bucks for some chrome trim.

I am really glad I stopped by this place. Once I get this whale all waxed and cleaned I will post some before and afters. Thanks again for the replies.

Bakerman