PDA

View Full Version : Anybody here into drag racing?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Todd@RUPES
03-12-2012, 10:27 AM
I drove up to Gainesville on Saturday with my son and met my dad at the Gator-Nationals.

I haven`t been to an NHRA drag race in a long time (my dad and I used to go to the Summer Nationals in Indy a lot when I was a kid growing up in Chicago). There is really nothing like the feeling of 8000 horsepower ripping from the starting line, causing such intense sound waves that your body vibrates with a particular frequency.

While I haven`t followed drag racing too much in a long time, it is still a thrill and it was really fun to spend time with my father and my son (now three generations of us crazy people).

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x121/tropicaldetailing/af/afs.jpg

Any drag racing fans on here?

RTexasF
03-12-2012, 10:49 AM
Haven`t been in ages but still love it. My favorite is drag boats though. Unfortunately it`s a days drive to go see them now. Here`s one of my favorites. Only a couple of minutes long but do have the sound up! This is at Marble Falls TX....DO go full screen.

260mph Drag-boat "The Spirit of Texas" Top Fuel Hydro IHBA - YouTube

mrclean81
03-12-2012, 10:59 AM
I grew up watching it on TV with my dad, and finally talked him into taking me to the 8th mile track here. Ill never forget it. Of course after i was old enough to drive, my friends and I were there every weekend. Ive made it to Gateway a couple times to see the big guys race, and while thats unreal, I still get a kick out of the open track nights at the local strip. There are some amazing grudge matches that happened at those events.

Jokeman
03-12-2012, 11:05 AM
Very cool. I actually watched some of it on ESPN last night. I haven`t followed in years. I just needed to watch some racing!

RaskyR1
03-12-2012, 11:29 AM
Todd, I used to go to the NHRA drag races almost every year with my old man. Been a long time since I`ve been to one though...think the last time was back in 2002. :(

You simply can`t explain or put into words the feeling to someone when those top fuel dragsters take off! It`s simply something you must experience for yourself. LOL, I remember the first time I went down in the pits with my dad and they started up an alcohol funny car...the crowd disperses REALLY quickly once the fumes hit you! :D

Rasky

jtford95
03-12-2012, 11:33 AM
Yes. Love the drag races. Grew up watching them. It`s been 30 years or more sense I`ve been to Atco raceway. Last race I saw there was the Big Rigs. From what I remember I had fun.

opie_7afe
03-12-2012, 11:45 AM
i love the smell of an alcohol/nitromethane fueled car or truck. never been to a true drag race. been in a few illegal drag races however! been to truck pulls thats about it....im more of a road race guy but dont follow it just watch it time to time...

Addicted2Bling
03-12-2012, 01:24 PM
The only time I ever see one is when a driver pulls up next to me reving his engine

Ecrissman
03-12-2012, 02:45 PM
Love drag racing, I was lucky enough to have a 1/4 track about 20min from the house. Even raced my AMX there a few times for fun.

BobbyG
03-12-2012, 03:39 PM
Back in the mid to late 70`s I used to live for drag racing.... I spent many a Sunday at New England Dragway in Epping New Hampshire...

New England Dragway - Epping, NH (http://newenglanddragway.com/home/index.php)

I used to race there and just thinking about it brings back some very fond memories. Sometime I need to go back and just watch....:yay

I have a picture or two of my Plymouth Cuda that I`ll dig up and scan in....:bigups

Nothing like the smell of Nitro Methane in the morning.....smells like victory!! :bigups

mustangmikeFL
03-12-2012, 06:57 PM
I used to love going down to Moroso every Friday when I was younger just to watch or occasionally race my Mach 1. It`s a great environment and I agree the smell of the burnt rubber and racing fuel was intoxicating LOL

ca.detailchick
03-12-2012, 10:51 PM
Not into drag races but sweet Dad and adorable kid! :bigups
He looks very ,very happy! :)

rwisejr
03-13-2012, 06:43 AM
LOL . I grew up on it. My Dad used to run his cars at Englishtown. He used to have all six of us and My mom in the stands cheering him and his guy`s on. Nothing like it. I follow it all the time.

Todd@RUPES
03-13-2012, 06:54 AM
Haven`t been in ages but still love it. My favorite is drag boats though. Unfortunately it`s a days drive to go see them now. Here`s one of my favorites. Only a couple of minutes long but do have the sound up! This is at Marble Falls TX....DO go full screen.

260mph Drag-boat "The Spirit of Texas" Top Fuel Hydro IHBA - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0sv01Z16zU&feature=relmfu)

Awesome video!

Todd@RUPES
03-13-2012, 06:54 AM
Not into drag races but sweet Dad and adorable kid! :bigups
He looks very ,very happy! :)

He is happy because he is giving grampa (Grampie) bunny ears :D