PDA

View Full Version : Question: Using Opti-Clean as a Rinseless?

Niebelung
03-12-2012, 12:22 AM
For a while now I`ve been mulling over a few questions on Opti-Clean and Optimum No Rinse, and I was wondering if forum members have had any experience :)

Question 1

If Opti-Clean (OOC) is formulated with a higher concentration of cleaning agents compared to ONR, could we use OOC as a rinseless (1oz to 2gal) wash at the same concentration as ONR?

I guess I`m curious about this because UWW+ is a 1:40-48 spray and wipe product that can also be used as a rinseless at 1:384 dilution as well. Do rinseless and waterless wash (spray-wipe) products use the same technology base (i.e. polymer surfactants) for their cleaning?

BobbyG
03-12-2012, 05:31 AM
Now, I`m no expert on rinseless or waterless washes but from what I`ve read, these products contain lubricants to assist in removing dirt and contaminates from the finish without imparting scratches or marring.

Dr. G or some of the folks at Optimum would be more qualified to answer this question but I suspect that their answer would be no, their not interchangeable.

embolism
03-12-2012, 08:31 AM
Unless there are specific instructions for diluting it for a rinseless then I wouldn`t do it, even though logically it would make sense.

Since it is a waterless and is therefore more concentrated, using it at ONR dilution in a rinseless would be overkill and much more expensive imo than just getting ONR, especially the 2012 version which is much improved and is still the same price as V2.

TroyScherer
03-12-2012, 08:54 AM
For a while now I`ve been mulling over a few questions on Opti-Clean and Optimum No Rinse, and I was wondering if forum members have had any experience :)

Question 1

If Opti-Clean (OOC) is formulated with a higher concentration of cleaning agents compared to ONR, could we use OOC as a rinseless (1oz to 2gal) wash at the same concentration as ONR?

I guess I`m curious about this because UWW+ is a 1:40-48 spray and wipe product that can also be used as a rinseless at 1:384 dilution as well. Do rinseless and waterless wash (spray-wipe) products use the same technology base (i.e. polymer surfactants) for their cleaning?

This is very interesting question that I have wondered as well. To create a better dilution ratio and thus a cheaper product for each use. I am not into the waterless wash so I have never picked up any OOC to try.

Todd@RUPES
03-13-2012, 07:58 AM

Question 1

I cannot speak specifically for Optimum but consider this.

BLACKFIRE offers both a Waterless Wash (spray and wipe) and Rinseless Wash.

You can dilute the Rinseless Wash to quick detail dilution (we are careful not to call it a waterless wash).

While BLACKFIRE Rinseless Wash and BLACKFIRE Waterless Wash you somewhat similar technology, they are completely different products. Both use the famed Wet Diamond Polymers, but the differences, to some degree, stop there.

BLACKFIRE Rinseless Wash is formulated to work best with a flush of water.

BLACKFIRE Waterless Wash is designed to quickly encapsulate the dirt/grime with out flushing, and to quickly evaporate/level on the surface.

Even though products are in similar categories, rinseless wash, waterless wash, wax, polish, sealant, they each are very unique in their chemical make-up. I would always consult with the product manufacturer although sometimes doing our own experimentation is the fun part!

Niebelung
03-13-2012, 10:29 AM
Thanks Todd! :bigups

Chris@Optimum
03-13-2012, 11:18 AM
...If Opti-Clean (OOC) is formulated with a higher concentration of cleaning agents compared to ONR, could we use OOC as a rinseless (1oz to 2gal) wash at the same concentration as ONR?

Opti Clean is based on the same polymers that are in ONR, but it is not simply a repackaged or more concentrated product. If you use Opti Clean as a rinseless wash you will not see the same results as you would with ONR and likewise if you used ONR 3:1 as a spray and wipe. ONR is dependant on water quantity to safely remove the debris it encapsulates and Opti Clean has added wetting agents among other ingredients that eliminate the need for larger quantities of water. I personally use Opti Clean diluted 4:1 instead of the recommended 3:1, but would not dilute it further to the point of a rinselss wash.

UWW+ may be a similar product, but not all these products are formulated the same. For example, many like the extra slickness UWW+ provides. But, that slickness comes from added silicones. Our line does not include silicones because our products are used in body shops and OEM settings and silicones can interfere with painting. ONR`s polymers can actually be painted over without causing any issue.

I cannot speak specifically for Optimum but consider this.

BLACKFIRE offers both a Waterless Wash (spray and wipe) and Rinseless Wash.

You can dilute the Rinseless Wash to quick detail dilution (we are careful not to call it a waterless wash).

While BLACKFIRE Rinseless Wash and BLACKFIRE Waterless Wash you somewhat similar technology, they are completely different products. Both use the famed Wet Diamond Polymers, but the differences, to some degree, stop there.

BLACKFIRE Rinseless Wash is formulated to work best with a flush of water.

BLACKFIRE Waterless Wash is designed to quickly encapsulate the dirt/grime with out flushing, and to quickly evaporate/level on the surface.

Even though products are in similar categories, rinseless wash, waterless wash, wax, polish, sealant, they each are very unique in their chemical make-up. I would always consult with the product manufacturer although sometimes doing our own experimentation is the fun part!

Todd, that`s a very concise and accurate way to put it. Like BF we chose to go with two different products. We feel that a product designed to do a specific job will do it well, multi-use products tend to do many jobs at the expense of not doing any of them well. Even with ONR, you can use it for a very effective QD, but it will never perform like our dedicated QD: Instant Detailer & Gloss Enhancer.

Niebelung
03-13-2012, 11:05 PM
Great reply Chris, thanks for your inputs!