PDA

View Full Version : Autopia vs. Autopia

tguil
02-28-2012, 10:44 AM
I`m a long time detail nut but have been out of the Autopia-Detail City loop for quite a while. I joined both forums in 2003. But because I use mostly Meg products I usually hang out over on that forum.

So what is with the two "Autopia" forums?

Tom :cool:

TroyScherer
02-28-2012, 11:41 AM
Autopia.org - is the original and is owned by 3D

AutopiaForums.com - is a combination of DetailCity / TruthInDetailing and is own by PBMG (AutoGeek)

-

Todd@RUPES
02-29-2012, 10:40 AM
For simplicity, Autopia-carcare.com was the original autopia forum started in 1999.

3 years later Autopia-carcare.com was switched to “.org”. This made ".com” the ecommerce site.

PBMG purchased the “.com” ecommerce and simply named the forum to connect to the site Autopia Forums since it retains the rights to the Original Autopia Trademark.

Very similar to Autogeek’s store and forum.

C. Charles Hahn
02-29-2012, 04:15 PM
For simplicity, Autopia-carcare.com was the original autopia forum started in 1999.

That`s only partially true, Todd. As I recall autopia-carcare.com was originally David Bynon`s "blog" site (before the term was coined) where he posted articles and his original ebook, the Autopia Guide to Detailing. That site and ebook were tied to CMA as the site`s sole sponsor (featured Eimann Fabrik products, Pinnacle, Klasse, P21S, and 303 among other lines they carried at the time such as One Grand Blitz Wax and 3M products). It did have a "forum" (which would more accurately be described as a newsgroup in terms of format as compared to the forums we use today) but it was not carried over into the iteration still in existence today at autopia.org.

The actual original Autopia forum as we now know it was parked at autopia-carport.com initially and for a time after that was moved to 2-3 other URLs before finally settling at its current location.

Just a little history lesson for those who might have an interest :inspector:

Jaddie
02-29-2012, 09:54 PM
Dear Charlie & Friends

As I recall autopia-carcare.com was originally David Bynon`s "blog" site (before the term was coined) where he posted articles and his original ebook, the Autopia Guide to Detailing. That site and ebook were tied to CMA as the site`s sole sponsor (featured Eimann Fabrik products

… <snip>

Just a little history lesson for those who might have an interest :inspector:

This is why I love internet forums so much. I don`t know squat about detailing yet, but I enjoyed that little history lesson.

That had to have been written by someone who knows the difference between carnauba and cerumen.

I am interested in knowing the story behind this Autopia, though. Why does it exist? It seems like a mirror of Autogeek, but the forum itself is a little more free-wheeling.

There are some extremely knowledgeable members here who are also members of Autogeek`s forum, yet they post here much more often. Might that be because of Autopia`s Detail City roots?

I`ve been a member since October or November of last year, so I don`t know a whole lot. If you`ve been around these forums for a long time, you might not understand a newbie`s being confused by all of this. My understanding is that PBMG has Autogeek as its frontline. Most of its house brands also have their own domains and sites, but then there`s Autopia, which appears to be the same as Autogeek`s forum, except it`s not moderated the same way. I`ve probably thought more about this than I should, but I just find it interesting.

Thanks again, Charlie, for the history.

rzatch
02-29-2012, 11:09 PM
Don`t feel bad Jaddie I haven`t been around all that long either and am still confused. And actually just got more confused. I started at AG and still visit there but find myself here a lot more. I think it`s the relaxed atmosphere here. When at AG you have to be careful about what you ask and post. Which is understandable after all this is a business and they need to protect their interest but sometimes the self made moderators there get a little too testy.

C. Charles Hahn
02-29-2012, 11:43 PM
cerumen

In the interest of full disclosure: I just had to google that :surrender :notme:

:rofl

rzatch
02-29-2012, 11:45 PM
I did too and wish I hadn`t. Those pics are sick!!!!!! I don`t think even a wheel woolie would clean that:wow: