PDA

View Full Version : PC Help

07gtcs
02-19-2012, 01:55 PM
Newbie here! Ok...I feel really stupid asking this but here goes anyway. I ordered the products suggested and the porter cable 7424, LC Orange and Red Pads. The PC came with a White polishing pad. My question is......how the heck do you attach the the LC pads to this machine??? What am I missing?

Thanks,

Nth Degree
02-19-2012, 02:38 PM
There should be a narrow wrench that came with the PC. It fits in behind the backing plate to access the nut in the middle. You will need to get the correct backing plate for attaching the LC Pads. I don`t recall what the plate that comes with the PC. It pretty much ended up in a box somewhere immediately and hasn`t been seen since.

07gtcs
02-19-2012, 03:25 PM
There should be a narrow wrench that came with the PC. It fits in behind the backing plate to access the nut in the middle. You will need to get the correct backing plate for attaching the LC Pads. I don`t recall what the plate that comes with the PC. It pretty much ended up in a box somewhere immediately and hasn`t been seen since.

It comes with a plate that has a foam pad already on it. I`m kinda steamed that I wasn`t advised I would have to buy a backing plate seperately. But after using it on a test section, I think I`ll buy the smaller plate and pads. I think they will be easier to use for me.

tropicsteve
02-19-2012, 05:33 PM
you might want to get one of the new dvds on how to properly use the porter cable 7427 xp at autopia car care How to Properly Use the Porter Cable 7424XP Dual Action Polisher (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/porter-cable-how-to-dvd.html) i just picked up that dvd for my library and it`s great for newbies.

Old Pirate
02-19-2012, 06:14 PM
Newbie here! Ok...I feel really stupid asking this but here goes anyway. I ordered the products suggested and the porter cable 7424, LC Orange and Red Pads. The PC came with a White polishing pad. My question is......how the heck do you attach the the LC pads to this machine??? What am I missing?

Thanks,

Just like Nth Degree has mention, but did you order a backing plate for your PC? All PC`s come with the black backing plate with the white pad glue on to it, just put it away and order the right size backing plate to use with your foam pads you got.

Stokdgs
02-19-2012, 10:39 PM
07gtcs ------------;

Congratulations on your new PC !
The wrench that fits on the flat nut behind that backing plate came in the bag with the instructions, did you find it?
The way to use it is to get the wrench attached to the flat nut on the back of the backing plate, then hold it in one hand, and turn the backing plate counter-clockwise, with the other hand, and it will break loose, so you can unscrew it from the machine.

i would recommend you get the 4-15/16" backing plate for the 5" pads, as the pads need to rotate to work best, and the smaller diameter will allow this easier than the larger diameter pads. When you get the hang of it, you can even get 3" and 4" backing plates and pads, to allow you to work on smaller areas easier like tail lights, etc..

The correct backing plates will have a velcro covering on them that will adhere to any foam or microfiber pads you get from this site, or other sites, etc...

Good luck ! Enjoy your new tool !
Dan F

07gtcs
02-20-2012, 12:17 PM
07gtcs ------------;

Congratulations on your new PC !
The wrench that fits on the flat nut behind that backing plate came in the bag with the instructions, did you find it?
The way to use it is to get the wrench attached to the flat nut on the back of the backing plate, then hold it in one hand, and turn the backing plate counter-clockwise, with the other hand, and it will break loose, so you can unscrew it from the machine.

i would recommend you get the 4-15/16" backing plate for the 5" pads, as the pads need to rotate to work best, and the smaller diameter will allow this easier than the larger diameter pads. When you get the hang of it, you can even get 3" and 4" backing plates and pads, to allow you to work on smaller areas easier like tail lights, etc..

The correct backing plates will have a velcro covering on them that will adhere to any foam or microfiber pads you get from this site, or other sites, etc...

Good luck ! Enjoy your new tool !
Dan F

Thanks....and I did find the wrench and attached the white pad to the machine and tested it out this weekend. But was looking to clarifiy that I needed to order an additional backing plate, which I wish would have been a bit clearer when I ordered.
But this is why I asked and learn as I go....Its only $$$.

Old Pirate
02-20-2012, 12:22 PM
:rockon
Thanks....and I did find the wrench and attached the white pad to the machine and tested it out this weekend. But was looking to clarifiy that I needed to order an additional backing plate, which I wish would have been a bit clearer when I ordered.
But this is why I asked and learn as I go....Its only $$$.

Great to hear, call the great folks at customer service and they will hook up with the right backing plate and anything else you might need.