PDA

View Full Version : How would you do this?

Pages : [1] 2

rimtp07
02-18-2012, 11:07 PM
I have this 12 person bus that this retirement home wants me to detail. Last July I guess they put some stuff on for a parade with duck tape. Now it`s there and I was wondering how you guys would go about removing the duck tape. Here are a couple pics:
http://myprecisiondetail.com/photo1.jpg
http://myprecisiondetail.com/photo2.jpg

glen e
02-18-2012, 11:42 PM
goo gone
mineral spirits

rimtp07
02-18-2012, 11:51 PM
what about lacquer thinner?

jtford95
02-19-2012, 01:03 AM
Try a steam cleaner if you have one. Any glue remover will work.

rzatch
02-19-2012, 01:32 AM
You’re going to want something that is going to have a slow evaporation so it has time to soften the glue. Lacquer thinner is too hot of a solvent and will evaporate before it has a chance to soften it without really soaking it and then you run the risk of doing paint damage with it. Anything that will evaporate slowly will take it off like parts cleaning solvent, paint thinner, adhesive remover or even WD 40 will probably take it off if you let it sit for awhile

mrclean81
02-19-2012, 09:17 AM
what about lacquer thinner?

Thinner would get it off, but there would be a big dull spot left behind that would have to be polished out. That is, if there was any paint left.

TLMitchell
02-19-2012, 10:52 AM
goo gone
mineral spirits

....adhesive remover or even WD 40 will probably take it off if you let it sit for awhile

What they said.... :bigups

TL

Concours.John
02-19-2012, 04:16 PM
If the glue is not too sticky I myself would use the 3M Eraser wheel. That is I`m assuming you will be doing some sort of polishing. If used properly there will be minimal marring. I have used it on soft paints too. Just a minor polishing will clean up. It is a real time saver. 3M adhesive remover is also a good go to.

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd437/concoursjohn/3m%20eraser%20wheel/02LexusFancher050.jpg

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd437/concoursjohn/3m%20eraser%20wheel/02LexusFancher051.jpg

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd437/concoursjohn/3m%20eraser%20wheel/02LexusFancher061.jpg

I picked this up at Advanced it is made for a drill. It sheds to prevent grinding whatever you are removing from the paint. It is also great for decals, tar and paint transfer scrapes BEFORE polishing. Iv`e used this and the high speed unit for years. Its also safer than sanding down areas as it only removes the transfer or glue and you can go straight to polish after a wipe down. Used properly it leaves minimal marring. Always test any area first. Once you get used to it you will love it.

glen e
02-19-2012, 04:23 PM
This thing works better than anything I have ever seen. The used it on my boat and stripped both sides of a complex wellcraft tape stripe 32 feet long in about 15 minutes...

Concours.John
02-19-2012, 04:48 PM
This thing works better than anything I have ever seen. The used it on my boat and stripped both sides of a complex wellcraft tape stripe 32 feet long in about 15 minutes...

I fully agree with you. It can remove heavy paint transfer also very quickly. I`ve done bumpers where a body shop quoted 1100.00 to repaint.
In 2-3 min. cleaned the area to find no cracking or scrapes then straight to polish. A 45 min. fix max.(if you polish the whole bumper) Its up to the person to decide what they charge but there is a huge profit potential even being very fair.

rimtp07
02-19-2012, 05:08 PM
Where would I be able to pick one up on short notice? The bus paint isn`t really clear coated. The paint is just flat. Can I still polish? I quoted her for 4 hours of labor.

Concours.John
02-19-2012, 05:13 PM
Where would I be able to pick one up on short notice? The bus paint isn`t really clear coated. The paint is just flat. Can I still polish? I quoted her for 4 hours of labor.

Try calling Advanced Auto Parts, Oriely, Auto Zone, Carquest, or any major paint and body supply near you. I picked up that one at Advanced auto parts.

rimtp07
02-19-2012, 05:49 PM
Will it damage the paint?

C. Charles Hahn
02-19-2012, 05:56 PM

You might get some light marring, but nothing a mild or medium polish won`t take care of.

Concours.John
02-19-2012, 06:01 PM

The wheel can create minor marring. But I have found it not to create any more than scrubbing with a rag with a solvent.

I do have some questions....
What is your plan for the timeframe quoted as far as the detail? How much are you doing? What are they expecting? I have done a couple of these that were mini RV conversions. I`m just trying to figure out haw far you are going with this. I`m just looking out. I don`t want to see you lose time wise on this. White hides alot and can be dirtier than it first appears. Especially once you start polishing. That clock doesn`t even start till after prep. The rubber seals around the windows are very prone to suck up any white residue.
I`m willing to talk with you just PM a contact number and I`ll see if I can help get the major things sorted. I hate to see you lose money.