PDA

View Full Version : So I got some wax on my convertible top

Focusedonsound
04-26-2004, 07:31 AM
While detailing my car a few weeks ago I managaged to get some wax on some of the plastic and the front edge of the convertible top. What can I use to get these surfaces clean and what can I do to prevent this kind of thing in the future.

Ive heard of people taping things off .... (do you tape off the entire plastic area?

groebuck
04-26-2004, 07:58 AM
People tape off all trim using painters tape (the blue tape that is not very sticky) - I don`t but then I am that good :lol - yeah right and an I diggin in my door handes to get out the residue!! :)

Focusedonsound
04-26-2004, 08:52 AM
ok but now how do I get it off of the convertible top and the plastic areas?

The Fuzz
04-26-2004, 09:04 AM
I don`t know much about convertible top care, but using a tooth brush and some cleaner should work on the rest of it. I use Meguiar`s #39 for that kind of thing. Peanut butter will also work. The oils in it will draw out the wax from those textured plastics. A brush and some cleaner like #39 or even WD40 or soap and water or whatever should work. Its the brush that will do most of the work anyway.

dr_detail
04-26-2004, 09:20 AM
is it a Cloth or Vinyl convertible top???

Focusedonsound
04-26-2004, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by dr_detail
is it a Cloth or Vinyl convertible top???

Vinyl

Beemerboy
04-26-2004, 09:32 AM
If its vinyl use a soft brush and some APC. If its material then use Ragg Topp cleaner and a soft brush, then use their conditioner.

On the tape issue I tape off areas that I know I will get wax in, door handles, trim on the side of the car, rubber areas, etc. Takes little time in comparsion to having to clean after

Jngrbrdman
04-26-2004, 10:13 AM
I tape off cars all the time. It takes a lot less time to tape off those areas than it does to try and avoid them or clean off the product afterwards. Some of the older cars that use that nasty textured plastic really need the tape. I did a `92 Mustang a few weeks ago and I taped off that whole thing. It would have been a nightmare cleaning up that trim if I hadn`t. It already looked like someone had forgotten that step before and stained the trim. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

clevo
07-22-2004, 08:50 AM
I did the same thing: got wax on my black vinyl convertible top. What is AOC that Beemerboy referred to in his answer?

Scott P
07-22-2004, 09:09 AM
Meguiar`s All Purpose Cleaner, APC.

clevo
07-22-2004, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Scott P
Meguiar`s All Purpose Cleaner, APC.

Thanks!