PDA

View Full Version : Dealer detailing

Rocket
02-01-2012, 03:28 PM
The other day I received a coupon from a new Dodge dealership down the street from me. They`ve been trying to get my business for a little while now and will call from time to time to tell me about their specials and incentives. The coupon I got was for $59 oil change. At first I said that`s crazy and set it aside and ate dinner. Later I went though the rest of the mail and actually stopped to see what the rest of the card said. The $59 actually included some other things besides the oil change. Each item had the "normal" price next to it. As I read though the list a "Full Detail" was listed. It`s normal price was $129.

I thought about calling and asking what all was involved in their full detail and asking what their process was. It got me wondering how many people they get in for this special and what they really do for the price.

Stokdgs
02-01-2012, 03:41 PM
Well, over here in Washington, I get the Jeep Chrysler Dodge email specials and mail specials, and their regular special oil change price is either 29.95 or 39.95, so based on that figure, you are going to get either $30 worth or $20 worth or Detailing.
So, I figure you would get a trip through the "Swirl-O-Matic" car wash AND the Swirls are FREE !!! :)

Dan F

CH.Detailing
02-01-2012, 03:45 PM
I couldn`t believe what the dealership I worked for would charge for a detail, especially when compared to what we were required to do, which was basically nothing. I think it was mainly a gimmick that was added onto sales as a `free bonus` to make people feel like they`re getting a deal. Hardly.

rwright
02-01-2012, 03:49 PM
When I worked at a Toyota dealership we had instructions to do the following:

Vacuum
Wipe down interior (water based dressing)
Clean glass
Wash car with wash n` wax soap then use a spray wax, rarely was a true liquid wax used
Clean and dress tires, wash wheel face
Spray Insta-Shine in wheel wells

If a customer requested carpet shampoo, there was an additional charge and we used a foaming carpet cleaner in a can - think Tuff Stuff. I did witness other clean up personnel using the same foaming cleaner on all interior panels followed by the water based dressing.

The most horrific thing I witnessed was a person using Blue Maxx (similar to Blech-Wite) on a white Toyota to brighten the paint. After the wash a hand glaze was applied.

All on special - $79 including oil change.

tw33k2514
02-01-2012, 04:19 PM
The dealership I work at is actually pretty legit. They use Meguiars detailer line, and the MF system on all the cars. They even clay...

CT3
02-01-2012, 05:07 PM
I`m guessing it includes a vacuum, quick interior wipe down(i may be reaching here), glass cleaning, a trip through the wash machine, some crappy tire spray, and if your lucky a quick slap down of the cheapest wax they can get.

mrclean81
02-01-2012, 05:36 PM
The dealership I work at is actually pretty legit. They use Meguiars detailer line, and the MF system on all the cars. They even clay...

Most of the time it just comes down to the "ignorance is bliss" way of thinking. They owners and management normally just don`t know any better, and they hire people who may not know much to start with, then train them with old ideas and "tricks". It takes hiring someone with a clue at some point to turn the place around and start doing things right. Trust me, I`ve taught my boss a hell of a lot more than he`s taught me lol. Not all dealerships are bad, just blind as to the advancements in the detail world in the past 10 years.

Rocket
02-01-2012, 05:54 PM
I can`t remember for sure but I don`t think they have a brush car wash on the lot. I know the dealership that my mom uses does. Before I knew better or thought about any of this I was happy to get a free car wash.

I think they will hand wash and vacuum and that`s about all. The dealer next door has a bunch of brand new cars sitting on the lot that are swirled up as bad as an old car that`s only been run though a brush wash. It`s sad really

Rocket
02-01-2012, 05:57 PM
Just a little off topic: At one of the last car shows I did there was a guy that had a 3rd gen Camaro. The paint was faded and oxidize pretty bad. I couldn`t understand how he got into the show since cars were hand picked.

He sprayed some stuff all over the car and left. I didn`t see it but my friend said it was a spray can and when I walked over the paint looked oily in the spots that he sprayed. Came back the next day and he had spread the product all over and it looked like a different car. It was dry to the touch also. I figure it must have been a dealership secret lol

rzatch
02-01-2012, 08:21 PM

Thats pretty unusual this day and age. I worked at one for 9 years (Pontiac Toyota) and in the beginning the old owners were pretty old school and every new car got a proper clean up. Buffed if needed and a hand wax. The new guys just before I quit were from the Chicago way of thinking maybe it was because that is where they were from had a total different outlook. Grease it up and get it out the door before the customer had a chance to change their mind. That is when we also went from using Meguiars products to Car Brite.

tw33k2514
02-02-2012, 01:54 AM
Lmao at "the Chicago way"

But I know what you mean... Most places operate like that around here.

rzatch
02-02-2012, 06:58 AM
Ben do you remember Hanley Dawson Cadillac downtown? Thats where the new owners got their start and methods. It was a different way of doing business in Bourbonnais for sure but it works they are still going strong, you may have heard of them David Bruce Cadillac Toyota. Heres a good artical on Hanley Dawson.

Hanley Dawson Jr., 80 - Chicago Tribune (http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1998-05-28/news/9805280359_1_mr-dawson-dealership-cadillac-dealers)

tw33k2514
02-02-2012, 01:32 PM
Good read. I am a little to young to recall that however.

200 cars in three days... Still trying to wrap my head around that.

rzatch
02-02-2012, 03:26 PM
Now you can see the Chicago way of dealer details or should I say the need behind it.

Art of Shine
02-02-2012, 07:02 PM
My local Porsche dealer offers a detail package for 225.00. This includes a hand wash and hand wax. No clay and no paint correction. The interior is wiped down and vac`ed. It`s on sale this month for 124.99. I`ll pass thank you.