PDA

View Full Version : New car - Where to start?

SVTblack2012
02-01-2012, 02:45 PM
Hey All,

Just bought my first new car and wanted some experienced input. Here is some background:

-Bought my 2012 Mustang (Black) off the showroom floor about a month ago. Has 150 miles on it, so it has been driven and I`m sure washed several times by the dealership (I know, I know...not good). When I bought it, I also purchased the "Ultimate Appearance Package" through the dealership which included an interior treatment, underbody coating for protection and reduced road noise, a "Diamond Coating" glass treatment and a "heavy duty waxing" that is supposed to last for a year (along with 4 coupons to have this done for the next 4 years). With what I know now, I would have skipped this and saved my money...now I know!

With it being black, upon close inspection I easily notice some swirling and minor imperfections in the paint surface.

Living in West Michigan and given the timing of my purchase, I only drove the car a few times before storing it covered in my garage. Before I covered it, I gave it a once over with Megs Quik Detailer and a Microfiber cloth as its to cold/nasty out to do much else.

Is there anything else I should/can do at this time to best protect my car given the weather here?

Also here is my plan for the first nice day this spring. This is based on discussions I have had with other obsessed owners of black vehicles:
-Wash
-Clay Bar
-Klasse All-In-One polish
-Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze
-Pinnacle Souveran Carnauba Wax

(Dont want to start a brand war here...unless one of these products is a no-no in my situation)

Does this regimen basically nullify any good I could get out of the dealership wax job or should I just forget about that at this point?

Sorry this is so lengthy, I`m just a concerned new parent!!!

Thanks in advance

RootsRadical
02-01-2012, 03:10 PM
Yes, unfortunately claying and polishing should nullify anything that the dealership has done to the paint but you`ll hopefully still get some value out of the fabric and leather protection and the underbody coating. Sounds like you realize that, though, and are ready to move on!

Post some pics of your new ride!

-J

BIOLINK
02-01-2012, 03:25 PM
My comment would be that Klasse is a chemical cleaner and will not remove swirls. It`s a great product but if you intend to remove swirls you may want a polish with some correction ability.

mjlinane
02-01-2012, 03:26 PM
The Klasse twins are very good but want to set expectations. KAIO has a chemical cleaner that gets any correction from the pad it is on. It will likely not remove a lot of the swirls. KHGSG leaves a nice, candy-coated look but there is a learning curve. Be sure you search the forums or ask a lot of questions or have somebody around who has used it a lot.

BIOLINK
02-01-2012, 03:30 PM
Klasse looks great on black.

Todd@RUPES
02-01-2012, 04:36 PM
Hey All,

Just bought my first new car and wanted some experienced input. Here is some background:

-Bought my 2012 Mustang (Black) off the showroom floor about a month ago. Has 150 miles on it, so it has been driven and I`m sure washed several times by the dealership (I know, I know...not good). When I bought it, I also purchased the "Ultimate Appearance Package" through the dealership which included an interior treatment, underbody coating for protection and reduced road noise, a "Diamond Coating" glass treatment and a "heavy duty waxing" that is supposed to last for a year (along with 4 coupons to have this done for the next 4 years). With what I know now, I would have skipped this and saved my money...now I know!

With it being black, upon close inspection I easily notice some swirling and minor imperfections in the paint surface.

Living in West Michigan and given the timing of my purchase, I only drove the car a few times before storing it covered in my garage. Before I covered it, I gave it a once over with Megs Quik Detailer and a Microfiber cloth as its to cold/nasty out to do much else.

Is there anything else I should/can do at this time to best protect my car given the weather here?

Also here is my plan for the first nice day this spring. This is based on discussions I have had with other obsessed owners of black vehicles:
-Wash
-Clay Bar
-Klasse All-In-One polish
-Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze
-Pinnacle Souveran Carnauba Wax

(Dont want to start a brand war here...unless one of these products is a no-no in my situation)

Does this regimen basically nullify any good I could get out of the dealership wax job or should I just forget about that at this point?

Sorry this is so lengthy, I`m just a concerned new parent!!!

Thanks in advance

Your plan is a time-tested winner and will look incrediable. I have serious doubts about the dealer wax lasting a full year and wouldn`t worry too much about that getting in the way. KLASSE SG can be a little difficult to use the first time (apply it VERY thin) but when its topped with Souvern it creates an unmistakable look!

SVTblack2012
02-01-2012, 06:15 PM
pictures as requested (Phone camera)

rzatch
02-01-2012, 07:04 PM
Wow that`s a sweet looking car. I`ve always has a soft spot for Mustangs.

RootsRadical
02-01-2012, 08:49 PM
Nice! Love the car, love the color. :bigups

Mr. Gloss
02-02-2012, 07:02 AM
Polish it with Prima Amigo (don`t underestimate Amigo)
Seal it with BFWD (two applications)
Top it with Midnight Sun (two applications.)

Warning: with the shine, it will not be street legal. :D

rzatch
02-02-2012, 08:00 AM
Wondering about your recommendation of the Prima Amigo over Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish from the stand point of staying in the same polymer family. Were you thinking along the lines of the Amigo having leveling abilities with the polish. Blackfire doesn`t advertise it having any actual polishing capabilities just that it fills and is non abrasive.