PDA

View Full Version : A Question for the Gentlemen

Pages : [1] 2

GearHead_1
01-30-2012, 03:48 PM
I know this one`s a bit out there for a detailing board even in the Off Topic forum. That said, I know we have a few "gentlemen" out there. Any of you use a straight blade razor? If so, whose blade are you using? I guess I would probably be interested in knowing whose brush you`re using as well?

Stokdgs
01-30-2012, 04:36 PM
Hey Utah !

I have had great results with the Art of Shaving product line, specifically, their badger hair brushes, their pre-shave oils and their shaving soap that you use with the brush.
They also sell their line of straight razors, but I prefer to use their handle with a great Gillette Fusion blade.

I can get a pretty darn good hot shave - both directions using the above products in the shower, and the face is baby smooth for about 10 hours or so. You want your face, brush, soap, and razor as hot as possible to get you the best, closest shave.

I have been shaved with a straight razor, (you will need a good leather strop), and there is nothing like it in the world.

If you have an Art of Shaving Store nearby, they usually have a Master Barber who can cut your hair and give your face the ultimate shave and treatment! I have done this a couple of times, and wow, the ultimate spa-like treatment for your face and hair.

I also like Trufitt & Hill products and they make similar products to Art of Shaving.

Good luck finding what you need !

Dan F

GearHead_1
01-30-2012, 05:00 PM
Hey Utah !

I have had great results with the Art of Shaving product line, specifically, their badger hair brushes, their pre-shave oils and their shaving soap that you use with the brush.
They also sell their line of straight razors, but I prefer to use their handle with a great Gillette Fusion blade.

I can get a pretty darn good hot shave - both directions using the above products in the shower, and the face is baby smooth for about 10 hours or so. You want your face, brush, soap, and razor as hot as possible to get you the best, closest shave.

I have been shaved with a straight razor, (you will need a good leather strop), and there is nothing like it in the world.

If you have an Art of Shaving Store nearby, they usually have a Master Barber who can cut your hair and give your face the ultimate shave and treatment! I have done this a couple of times, and wow, the ultimate spa-like treatment for your face and hair.

I also like Trufitt & Hill products and they make similar products to Art of Shaving.

Good luck finding what you need !

Dan F

I`ve been doing the hard soap, double edge, Silver Tip/Super Badger brushes for a bit now, along with a ton of experimentation. Got a Pure Badger Hair brush coming. I know that`s considered a step down but I`ve heard it works well with hard soaps. I`ve tried the Truefitt and Hill pre-shave oil and soap and am in fact making some home made pre-shave oil this week. Just kind of looking at the next progression, that being a straight edge. I`ve recently ordered several straight edge razors, Dovo and Buckingham & Sons along with all the gear to hone and maintain them. Figured that way I could make an honest comparison. Haven`t received them yet and will likely end up cutting my throat. Just wondering if anyone else does this in todays world of multi-blade razors and high tech electric shavers?

BIOLINK
01-30-2012, 05:17 PM
My barber scared me away from the blade. I am so afraid of lopping my ear off I am staying away. I have always wanted to try it though.

GearHead_1
01-30-2012, 05:21 PM
My barber scared me away from the blade. I am so afraid of lopping my ear off I am staying away. I have always wanted to try it though.

That`s kind of where I`m at. Truth is I don`t know that I can get a much better shave than I`m getting right now but something keeps pulling me in. Mr. Clean is a long time double edge wet shaver and he advised me on the gear I now have. I figure I can start slowly, perhaps with the cheeks or bigger areas and refine my skills before I get too close to the juggler. ;) I can get the tight places with the double edge I`m now using.

rzatch
01-30-2012, 05:35 PM
You guys got more guts than me for sure!!!!!!!!!!!! I have to use a electric or my face will be chewed up after a short time with a blade. Theres no way i could shave daily with a blade and as close as you guys are talking I would have ingrown hairs all over the place especially going against the grain.

GearHead_1
01-30-2012, 05:43 PM
You guys got more guts than me for sure!!!!!!!!!!!! I have to use a electric or my face will be chewed up after a short time with a blade. Theres no way i could shave daily with a blade and as close as you guys are talking I would have ingrown hairs all over the place especially going against the grain.

Oddly enough, I have found the exact opposite to be true. Mind you I`m still talking about a double edged razor here. This is not what I might have expected. My wife also noticed the difference when I made the shift. I have both Phillips and Braun`s best electrics and figured that was as good as it gets, though I usually chased the electric with a Schick Quattro. I know it doesn`t seem to make sense and the only thing I can liken the situation to is that the blades are actually removing/ex-foliating the top layer of skin that was trapping the in grown hairs before. My face has NEVER been smoother and my beard is like fishing line, very tough.

rzatch
01-30-2012, 08:31 PM
Well hopefully you find what your looking for and when you do, you don`t walk around until noon with little bits of toilet paper on your face.:rofl

Concours.John
01-30-2012, 08:43 PM
:(A single blade scares me. I kill double and triple blade razors but think I`d kill myself with a single blade as your speaking of.:(

RootsRadical
01-30-2012, 08:52 PM
I have long since graduated from the disposable`s to what is known as a "safety razor". However, I don`t have the patience (or the guts) to take the next step over to a straight razor. However, I can recommend a really good vendor for straight razors, safety razors and various shaving supplies. Check out Nashville KnifeShop - Straight Razors, Safety Razors, Shaving Brushes & More! (http://www.nashvilleknifeshop.com/) for more information.

(I hope that we can post outside links on this forum. If not, admin can delete that and I can PM it as needed.)

-J

Todd@RUPES
01-30-2012, 11:25 PM
I have long since graduated from the disposable`s to what is known as a "safety razor". However, I don`t have the patience (or the guts) to take the next step over to a straight razor. However, I can recommend a really good vendor for straight razors, safety razors and various shaving supplies. Check out Nashville KnifeShop - Straight Razors, Safety Razors, Shaving Brushes & More! (http://www.nashvilleknifeshop.com/) for more information.

(I hope that we can post outside links on this forum. If not, admin can delete that and I can PM it as needed.)

-J

Links are fine, as long as they are to `work safe` websites. :bigups

Todd@RUPES
01-30-2012, 11:27 PM
Just to clarify....

a) you guys are telling me it gets better then a Mach 3? Cause I saw the commercial and they said it was the best.

b) all its takes is a razor to be a gentleman?

GearHead_1
01-30-2012, 11:28 PM
Just to clarify....

a) you guys are telling me it gets better then a Mach 3? Cause I saw the commercial and they said it was the best.

b) all its takes is a razor to be a gentleman?

a) Can`t even remember a Mach 3. That was two or three blades per cartridge ago. :D

b) Not at all but a real gentleman knows how to use a razor, even if only to trim the goat. Guess I could have asked the ladies how they liked a straight blade? And you thought the chin was THE problem area. ;)

Todd@RUPES
01-30-2012, 11:39 PM
a) Can`t even remember a Mach 3. That was two or three blades per cartridge ago. :D

b) Not at all but a real gentleman knows how to use a razor, even if only to trim the goat. Guess I could have asked the ladies how they liked a straight blade? And you thought the chin was THE problem area. ;)

The chin is the problem area for me, mine fell apart right before SEMA.

Nizmo
01-31-2012, 06:52 PM
While it`s not a strait blade, I use an old double edged "safety" (nothing safe about sometimes, lol) Gillette razor from the 40`s I picked up in a flea market in Pennsylvania. Never even thought of using it, was going to be a decoration in my bathroom. Bought some blades out of spite, but it`s amazing how much more even of a cut it does, my Mach 3 has been sitting in the cabinet since then. Blades are so much cost efficient compare to the Mach and Fusion series. I can buy a pack of blades for $5, whereas the others are $25.

I`ve used a strait blade a couple times, but it takes too long for me and I become inpatient and screw it up.