PDA

View Full Version : Question about pre-wax cleansers, glazes and sealants

viOlaziOne
01-29-2012, 10:39 PM
okay .. Spring is rapidly approaching and I`m starting to plan out my attack to prep the baby for the new season .. over the Winter I obtained more products than I could hope to use in a decade so I`m eager to try as much out as I can (which could get me in trouble) .. I plan on doing the normal full cleaning/decon and machine polishing to my G35 but it`s the after steps I would like someone to assist with ..

typically I either use Black Hole or EZ Creme and top that off with my sealant or wax of choice .. this is the first year I have purchased pre-wax cleansers and I`m curious if I`m even thinking correctly ..

1) After polishing and my second 2BM wash, where would my Dodo Juice Lime-Prime Lite and Pinnacle Paintwork Cleanser come into play ?? would I still need and/or benefit from using these products if I just finished polishing and did my post-wash or wipe down with Griot`s ??

2) I love using Glazes prior to waxing or sealing .. can I put a Glaze OVER a pre-wax cleaner/paint cleanser and still top that with my sealant or wax or am I setting myself up for an extra step of nonsense with no real benefit ??

3) Would the following process be beneficial or incorrect ??
After clay/decon, polish
Rewash and/or Griot`s Wipe Down
Dodo Juice Lime Prime Lite, Pinnacle Paintwork Cleanser or P21S
Glaze of my choice
Sealant
Wax (after sealant cured)

thank you.

Dr Oldz
01-29-2012, 10:53 PM
Not to be rude..... But that`s a lot of questions in one post. Perhaps if you break it down you will see more responses. Honestly after the fifth question I got lost. I am aways willing to help but that was just overwhelming.

glen e
01-29-2012, 11:50 PM
Not to be rude..... But that`s a lot of questions in one post. Perhaps if you break it down you will see more responses. Honestly after the fifth question I got lost. I am aways willing to help but that was just overwhelming.

:bigups:bigups

viOlaziOne
01-30-2012, 12:02 AM

it`s fine and I totally understand but I felt that it was all related to my overall question about whether or not pre-wax cleansers, glazes and sealants used in sequence would give me any issues, be pointless or be worth my effort .. that`s all I guess I really needed to know .. sorry for the long-windedness .. it`s just part of the territory being Italian and having ADHD I suppose lol

btw, edited the original post as I can see, after re-reading, how it was jumbled and all over the place .. sorry about that

BIOLINK
01-30-2012, 12:05 AM
I`m WAY OCD and have far too many products than I even know what to do with / have lol thanks in advance !!

You may have answered part of your own question. You seem to have a lot of steps there. You may be able to trim a few steps out. You can drive yourself crazy over thinking which product goes over what.

If you polish (with anything abrasive) you don`t really need the pre wax cleaner. If your polish step gets you to a defect level you can live with, you don`t really need the glaze.

You can glaze over the pre wax cleaner, you can wax or seal over the glaze, you can wax over the sealant. But don`t get caught up in thinking you need each of these steps. It gets a bit confusing when a cleaner contains a glaze or a sealant contains cleaners. Remember that anything with a cleaner will remove your previous step.

May I suggest, keep it simple: Wash > clay > polish > seal

Just my .02

TroyScherer
01-30-2012, 09:59 AM
In my experience most pre-wax cleaners have a filler in them as well... (Dodo Juice Lime Prime Lite, Pinnacle Paintwork Cleanser) These do if you check the product info.

Based on that information I would think that a Paint cleaner before a glaze would be overkill especially if you are going to clay and polish first. Also in my experience EZ Cream is more of a paint cleaner than a true glaze as well. I think it fits into both the Paint Cleaner & Glaze categories.

If you are planning on using a Sealant after your glaze I would also make sure you are using the appropriate glaze. Most glazes are oily and a not suitable under a sealant in my experience. That is why I like the EZ Cream or Klasse AIO as they are acrylic based.

Todd@RUPES
01-30-2012, 10:25 AM
okay .. Spring is rapidly approaching and I`m starting to plan out my attack to prep the baby for the new season .. over the Winter I obtained more products than I could hope to use in a decade so I`m eager to try as much out as I can (which could get me in trouble) .. I plan on doing the normal full cleaning/decon and machine polishing to my G35 but it`s the after steps I would like someone to assist with ..

typically I either use Black Hole or EZ Creme and top that off with my sealant or wax of choice .. this is the first year I have purchased pre-wax cleansers and I`m curious if I`m even thinking correctly ..

Alright, lets see if we can help keep that G35 looking amazing!

1) After polishing and my second 2BM wash, where would my Dodo Juice Lime-Prime Lite and Pinnacle Paintwork Cleanser come into play ?? would I still need and/or benefit from using these products if I just finished polishing and did my post-wash or wipe down with Griot`s ??

The thing is that every company uses different chemicals (or different combination`s of similar chemicals) so what works for one brand may not work for another. For example some sealants and waxes will last longer if you use their pre-wax cleaner right before applying them, almost like using a primer before you paint. So its hard to answer your question because it depends.

2) I love using Glazes prior to waxing or sealing .. can I put a Glaze OVER a pre-wax cleaner/paint cleanser and still top that with my sealant or wax or am I setting myself up for an extra step of nonsense with no real benefit ??

Many pre-wax cleaners are glazes and many glazes are pre-wax cleaners. Since their is no uniform standard with product terms, its too hard to say. I know Meguiar`s old three step (Deep Crystal) system use pre-wax cleaner, followed by a glaze (pure polish), followed by wax.

If your pre-wax cleaner is just a cleaner (no oils or gloss enhancers) then you will see more benefit by applying a pure glaze (no abrasives or cleaners). It`s a brand/product specific question.

3) Would the following process be beneficial or incorrect ??
After clay/decon, polish
Rewash and/or Griot`s Wipe Down
Dodo Juice Lime Prime Lite, Pinnacle Paintwork Cleanser or P21S
Glaze of my choice
Sealant
Wax (after sealant cured)

The first potential problem I see is that the sealant you use may not bond completely (full effectiveness of the sealant) to the glaze you are using. Also the three pre-wax cleaners you listed are both cleaning agents and feature a glaze. This isn`t to say you cannot put another glaze on top of them, but it just may not be effective.

Early in my detailing career I used to experiment with all types of combination`s, nowadays I stick to either manufacturer recommendations or proven combination`s.

thank you.

I hope I helped.

Van185
01-30-2012, 07:38 PM
Todd, Where would a person get the information on which pre-wax cleaners or glazes have the same type of properties? And where would a person find the information on which products will bond with other products? I use all different brands and I`m probably making the same mistakes or overkilling a stage of the cleaning process all together by using some of the same types of products and just not knowing it. It`s all a learning process for me. Thanks for the help. AGAIN!!!!!!

viOlaziOne
01-30-2012, 08:53 PM
thanks a lot Todd and everyone else too .. it`s all a jumble and the funny thing is I`m so upset that I only have three cars in my house and that two of them are light colored :-\ .. I`m truly hoping to detail as many friends and family cars this Spring and Summer to tear through some of my supplies .. I`ll admit that I ABSOLUTELY over-ordered at first but I blame that on me being bored, obsessed with my car and having the cash to spend lol there`s literally NO WAY to use all of these products so it`s frustrating .. I`m actually considering selling my car in a few months to buy a new one just to start fresh HAHA but thank you again as the only two things I trust are experience and the members of this forum lol I guess when it comes to pre-wax cleansers and glazes I`ll use one or the other since I feel a little OCD having SOO many steps that could end up going against the overall goal

Todd, Where would a person get the information on which pre-wax cleaners or glazes have the same type of properties? And where would a person find the information on which products will bond with other products? I use all different brands and I`m probably making the same mistakes or overkilling a stage of the cleaning process all together by using some of the same types of products and just not knowing it. It`s all a learning process for me. Thanks for the help. AGAIN!!!!!!

this .. I know products like Ultima have paint prep and their sealant .. I have used the BF gloss enhancing polish but have also tried black hole and ez creme under wet diamond and have achieved amazing results as well

EDIT:

started reading the back of my Dodo Juice Lime Prime and it states that it`s a pre-wax cleanser AND a glaze .. interesting .. now I get what you all mean lol

viOlaziOne
01-30-2012, 11:01 PM
not to keep adding for no reason but I feel my misconceptions came directly from this page

Auto Detailing Facts, auto detailing Tips, How to detailing Guides, how to polish, how to wax, DIY detailing, do it yourself guides (http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html)

if you look to the right it says that paint in good condition would only need pre-wax cleansing polish following by glaze, paint selant or wax, spray wax and quick detailer .. so, if I`m doing an actual polish to my car I could go from polishing to either pre-wax polish or glaze ?? and if my paint is good and I`m just, say, switching from one combo of sealant/wax to a different ?? thanks

Todd@RUPES
01-30-2012, 11:14 PM

The best place to get this information is going to be on the label. There is no standardization of terms. For example:

Duragloss calls their sealants a polish and their polishes cleaners.
Meguiar`s calls their glazes pure polishes and their polishes cleaners.
Wolfgang calls their finishing polish a glaze even though it has no gloss enhancers or fillers.
Zymol calls their carnuaba waxes glazes.

If you ever have a specific question you can always post it this forum. Our members have a lot of cumulative experience and what makes AF so great is they are always willing to help. :bigups

glen e
01-30-2012, 11:48 PM
The best place to get this information is going to be on the label. There is no standardization of terms. For example:

Duragloss calls their sealants a polish and their polishes cleaners.
Meguiar`s calls their glazes pure polishes and their polishes cleaners.
Wolfgang calls their finishing polish a glaze even though it has no gloss enhancers or fillers.
Zymol calls their carnuaba waxes glazes.

If you ever have a specific question you can always post it this forum. Our members have a lot of cumulative experience and what makes AF so great is they are always willing to help. :bigups

exactly why I`m considering "going vertical" in my purchases in the future and staying with one brand from wash all the way to LSP. ..and the two brands are BF and Ultima.....becasue of BF`s "deep bench" of products, it`ll probably be BF......:yourrock

sc_S13
01-31-2012, 04:54 AM
It`s way too easy to get caught up in the myriad of products and scoop up anything someone recommends on this or any forum lol but it makes it much easier to stick to that simple wash>clay>correction>sealant>wax. And that already has a lot of product involved haha

TroyScherer
01-31-2012, 09:34 AM
exactly why I`m considering "going vertical" in my purchases in the future and staying with one brand from wash all the way to LSP. ..and the two brands are BF and Ultima.....becasue of BF`s "deep bench" of products, it`ll probably be BF......:yourrock

I fully agree with you Glen. I too am starting to see how much sense it makes to stay with in 1 Synergetic product line.