PDA

View Full Version : What could this be? Frustrated!

Pages : [1] 2

mikeinaz
01-29-2012, 01:06 PM
Hi,
New to the forum and first post here. Going to try this w/out pics. I have a 08 black Vette and I have an issue when I try to use a detailer or spray wax on the paint. Paint is in good shape and waxed w/ a DA every 3 months or so and sits in the garage most of the time. When I spray detailer (Griots or Meguiars) or spray wax on the paint and try to wipe, little fiber like hairs show up all over and the paint feels like the towel is dragging on it, not smooth at all. I have tried switching microfiber towels, rewashing them(in white vinigar and no fabric softner) and ven claying the car down and starting over and it seems the only thing I can do is rewax the entire car to get rid of it for a week or two. It mainly happens on the roof, deck and hood, not much on the sides but maybe thats just me.

I have tried a process of elimination like only using one brand or another of polish or wax, or detailer and switched towel brands up. It happens no matter what I do. It almost looks like the towels shedding, just tons of little hairs or fibers all over the paint and hard to get them all off, they just spread to different areas or clumps.

I am in AZ so I detail the car every couple of days due to the light dust that occurs daily. ANy help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. BTW, I have two other cars that are white and this soes not seem to happen on them although I cant tell on the white paint but it does not `drag` when I detail them. Thanks in advance!

ca.detailchick
01-29-2012, 01:13 PM
Sounds like you need to use claybar first before you wax unless your MF are low quality.:)

BIOLINK
01-29-2012, 01:35 PM
Sounds like you need to use claybar first before you wax unless your MF are low quality.:)

+1

I have seen MF leave those little fibers on glass. I switch to a waffle weave when that happens. Not saying to use waffle weave but you may try yet another MF towel.

Black is a beast too. You are more likely to see those little fibers on black.

mikeinaz
01-29-2012, 01:43 PM
Thanks! I switched up to Griots after it first happened and it still occurs. I called them to see if they ever had it happen and nobody there seemed to have seen it before. Any recomendations as to a real good mf towel I could try to see if that is the issue?

BIOLINK
01-29-2012, 02:12 PM
For wax/sealant removal and buffing I have been using a towel similar to these.

Microfiber Buffing Towel by Sonus Plush, High Quality Microfiber Towel (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/son-dwbt-2.html)

Timbrr
01-29-2012, 03:15 PM
You could also try Cobra Gold, best towel I have ever used.

RootsRadical
01-29-2012, 04:07 PM
How are you taking care of your microfiber towels? Wash them with a microfiber-specific detergent and let them air dry. Some people will throw them in the dryer on low/gentle, but if you do, be sure not to use any dryer sheets. IF you are drying them in a dryer, I`d bet that is what is causing your issue.

(I also agree with the above posters regarding the use of a clay bar.)

ca.detailchick
01-29-2012, 04:08 PM
Being that you say your towel drags and its worst on the horizontal surfaces leads me top beleive you have fallout comtaminants on the paint and need to claybar.

It could be your towel too but if its not doing it on the others cars then thats probably not your problem:inspector:

BobbyG
01-29-2012, 04:20 PM
Being that you say your towel drags and its worst on the horizontal surfaces leads me top beleive you have fallout comtaminants on the paint and need to claybar.

It could be your towel too but if its not doing it on the others cars then thats probably not your problem:inspector:

This makes the most sense.

If you let your finger glide across the finish and feel little bumps or grit then you`ve discovered the root cause of your issue...

Clay one panel, prep the paint, seal or wax then test with the towel and see if this corrects the problem..

mikeinaz
01-29-2012, 09:15 PM
Thanks guys!! As I mentioned originally, I clayed already thinking there was some sort of build up but I agree, if the other cars are not doing it, its worth another shot. I am not saying the Griot towels are the best out there but they seem to be pretty good towels and I had some others and all do it so it may not be the towels and may just be the paint. I will get some mf specific cleaner as well and see if that helps and as far as the dryer, I have never used a dryer sheet so there is no sort of fabric softner that I know of in any of the towels. Thanks again for the great help, its much appreciated. Seems I found a new place to come search around on in my spare time besides the Vette forums!

rzatch
01-29-2012, 10:09 PM
These are a nice towel.

Super Soft Deluxe Microfiber Towels with Rolled Edges (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/rolled-edge-towels-3.html)

ca.detailchick
01-30-2012, 12:14 PM
Thanks guys!! As I mentioned originally, I clayed already thinking there was some sort of build up but I agree, if the other cars are not doing it, its worth another shot. I am not saying the Griot towels are the best out there but they seem to be pretty good towels and I had some others and all do it so it may not be the towels and may just be the paint. I will get some mf specific cleaner as well and see if that helps and as far as the dryer, I have never used a dryer sheet so there is no sort of fabric softner that I know of in any of the towels. Thanks again for the great help, its much appreciated. Seems I found a new place to come search around on in my spare time besides the Vette forums!
I missed that you clayed already but still,maybe the clay your using is not aggressive enough or you didnt clay enough.

Your paint should feel smooth after claying .

What claybar are you using ?

How do the windows feel ? Are you getting shedding on the windows too?

embolism
01-30-2012, 12:53 PM
The griots speedshine towels I got in Sept of last year shed like crazy and are used for rinseless washes now or the wheels...

Beemerboy
01-30-2012, 01:11 PM
The fibers that are left on the surface is called linting. It could be the way your are washing them or the quality of them.

mikeinaz
01-31-2012, 10:32 AM
This makes me feel better that it may be towel related. I may turn those Griots into home towels for my shutters and general dusting and get some higher quality ones you all have recommended as well as some specific cleaner for them as well. As far as clay I used, it was Griots that came in a package I bought a year ago. My paint still feels like glass and I have not clayed in about 9 months, I do wax every 90 days or so but the car does not see the light of day all the time so the paint is in good shape. Well as good as black can stay, lol. There always seems to be some imperfections popping up to take care of especially since you do have to do a once over on it all the time due to all the dust out here. Hey, thanks again for the info!