PDA

View Full Version : Trying to find new shelves for my garage !! Help !!

viOlaziOne
01-28-2012, 11:15 PM
okay .. I`m redoing my garage in the Spring with epoxy coating for the floor, new paint for the walls, a new workbench and HOPEFULLY new shelving .. I currently have four quick and cheap plastic shelves that I purchased from Walmart .. I honestly hate it and am in the process of looking for new steel shelving, however, I have measurement stipulations and need some help .. almost all of the shelves I am finding measure 72" tall .. the tallest I can have these shelves is 60" (preferably 50-55" as they are going under wall cabinets) .. the preferred width would be about 50-55" each) .. I`d like to spend no more than 120 as I`ve found a few in the 80-90 range and that seems acceptable .. also, would like them to be along the lines of the following link:

http://www.amazon.com/Shelf-Steel-Storage-Garage-Board/dp/B0043BP6F6

any help would be greatly appreciated !!

also, if I were to buy the shelves in the link provided .. would it be stupid to cut one tier off with say a dremel to make it fit ?? thanks !!

rzatch
01-29-2012, 12:45 AM
I was going to ask if they would be directly under the cabinet at 60" if so the top shelf as you have already figured wil be of no use. I found these nice looking wire style that I wouldn`t mind having myself. Also if you scroll down the page you will see other ones listed there`s a handy looking cart along with a liner material.

Amazon.com: Seville Classics SHE15363 14-Inch by 36-Inch by 54-Inch Dura Style Shelves with Wheels, Chrome: Home Improvement

Amazon.com: Seville Classics SHE18304 18-Inch by 34-Inch by 33-1/2-Inch Industrial All-Purpose Utility Cart, Chrome: Home & Kitchen

Amazon.com: Seville Classics SHE18304 18-Inch by 34-Inch by 33-1/2-Inch Industrial All-Purpose Utility Cart, Chrome: Home & Kitchen

viOlaziOne
01-29-2012, 01:07 AM
I was going to ask if they would be directly under the cabinet at 60" if so the top shelf as you have already figured wil be of no use. I found these nice looking wire style that I wouldn`t mind having myself. Also if you scroll down the page you will see other ones listed there`s a handy looking cart along with a liner material.

Amazon.com: Seville Classics SHE15363 14-Inch by 36-Inch by 54-Inch Dura Style Shelves with Wheels, Chrome: Home Improvement (http://www.amazon.com/Seville-Classics-SHE15363-14-Inch-36-Inch/dp/B000GWFHSW/ref=sr_1_9?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1327814979&sr=1-9)

Amazon.com: Seville Classics SHE18304 18-Inch by 34-Inch by 33-1/2-Inch Industrial All-Purpose Utility Cart, Chrome: Home & Kitchen (http://www.amazon.com/Seville-Classics-SHE18304-Industrial-All-Purpose/dp/B0002O9HXU/ref=pd_bxgy_hg_img_c)

Amazon.com: Seville Classics SHE18304 18-Inch by 34-Inch by 33-1/2-Inch Industrial All-Purpose Utility Cart, Chrome: Home & Kitchen (http://www.amazon.com/Seville-Classics-SHE18304-Industrial-All-Purpose/dp/B0002O9HXU/ref=pd_bxgy_hg_img_c)

those actually aren`t bad at all .. my only concern is that I`ll be putting lots of spray bottles, sample bottles and the bulk of my supplies so I`m not sure how this would fare holding small bottles and what not unless I could put something flat above it .. I`d have to look into that as well .. thank you for the post though as it`s something else to consider lol

holland_patrick
01-29-2012, 07:32 AM
I at one time did the shelving and while it`s functional i really hated my stuff being out all the time

i went with cabinets and i`m much happier now

BobbyG
01-29-2012, 08:18 AM
I at one time did the shelving and while it`s functional i really hated my stuff being out all the time

i went with cabinets and i`m much happier now

I`m thinking about doing the same thing. I saw a steel cabinet at Lowe`s that looks ideal to store all my detailing products.....that`s if I stop buying more of them now...:rofl

cmichael258
01-29-2012, 10:09 AM
that`s if I stop buying more of them now......and the sun starts setting in the East :lol2:

I was also looking at the cabinets at Lowes this week. The steel ones look really nice but were more than I wanted to spend. I decided on the recycled resin by Enviro Elements and bought 2 of these (hope to get one assembled today):

Shop enviro elements 70"H x 35"W x 18"D Resin Multi-Purpose Cabinet at Lowes.com (http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=339957-742-193587&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3295500&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1)

Concours.John
01-29-2012, 10:38 AM
...and the sun starts setting in the East :lol2:

I was also looking at the cabinets at Lowes this week. The steel ones look really nice but were more than I wanted to spend. I decided on the recycled resin by Enviro Elements and bought 2 of these (hope to get one assembled today):

Shop enviro elements 70"H x 35"W x 18"D Resin Multi-Purpose Cabinet at Lowes.com (http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=339957-742-193587&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3295500&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1)

I`m going to be honest here. I have the same one after 3 months of summer the shelves were bowing. I have all the weight of nothing more than quart size bottles near the sides. It still happened.
The rest of the shelves have MF towels in tubs. They are ok.
I thought of adding a center support but it will interfere getting things in and out. Plus the time wasted.

It may work for you but do not put weight in the middle. Just thought I`d let you know before you can`t take it back.

rzatch
01-29-2012, 11:19 AM
I`m going to be honest here. I have the same one after 3 months of summer the shelves were bowing. I have all the weight of nothing more than quart size bottles near the sides. It still happened.
I thought of adding a center support but it will interfere getting things in and out. Plus the time wasted.

It may work for you but do not put weight in the middle. Just thought I`d let you know before you can`t take it back.

Hmmm interesting. I was looking at those also just last week and was concerned about the shelving. I do like the idea of them being plastic and not having to worry about them rusting when I get them wet washing down the floor. I was sort of leaning toward the smaller one because it has legs to get it up off the floor so it can dry out underneath. But that would also mean I would need to buy two. I wonder if 1/4 underlayment on top of the existing shelf would add enough support.

Rocket
01-29-2012, 02:21 PM
I think the metal wire shelves. They work well and they come in different sizes to fit your needs. I have a big one (60" high I think) and its done fine for years. It hasn`t rusted and it has sat outside in the back while painting and doing some renovation. They are sturdy and the wires in the shelf are close enough that bottled won`t fall through.

My one complaint is that cabinets have sides and a back so things don`t fall off but shelves don`t. I drop stuff behind from time to time

Concours.John
01-29-2012, 04:38 PM
I know this may be a more expensive option but what about two rows of wall cabinets and one shelving unit side by side one high under(black ones at lowes around $70 or home depot). This will give you a work bench to boot. You will have enclosed storage. There will be two shelves under the bench and one taller area for vaccum, pressure washer, taller tubs. You can buy tubs to fit the two shelf side for easy access to towels etc. You can also later or now put a one piece slab countertop with backsplash across the top for a really nice spot for odds and ends while you work..ie; floormats or things removed from the vehicle. Add lights under the cabinets and you would have a great task area. Caulk the bottom of the shelves to prevent water going under. (this will come up easily later) It may be more money at first but you wont be redoing things later.

Just a thought.

Stokdgs
01-29-2012, 06:05 PM
Home Depot used to sell these nice sturdy particleboard then coated, Millers Pride Gray Cabinets that were sturdy, could be either free standing or screwed into walls. They have all adjustable shelving except for one shelf that is the inner brace for the cabinet and it really keeps in square. No sagging, etc.. Have had mine for over 11 years now and they work great.

Dan F

Bunky
01-29-2012, 06:55 PM

I have them from several years back with the Black and Decker brand. All the shelves sagged with any weight and the shelves would fall due to the side supports coming out. I ended up gluing them in place with epoxy plus added some side supports (stilts). I do want something better.

viOlaziOne
01-30-2012, 12:00 AM
thank you, EVERYONE, for the replies .. I actually did a TON more searching and found the following:

Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00910602000P?blockNo=24&blockType=G24&prdNo=24&i_cntr=1327899541983)

apparently these fit my dimension requirements perfectly and are a great price .. looking to pick up about three of these and I guess we`ll see how that goes lol thanks again everyone !!

Bunky
01-30-2012, 11:50 AM
thank you, EVERYONE, for the replies .. I actually did a TON more searching and found the following:

Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00910602000P?blockNo=24&blockType=G24&prdNo=24&i_cntr=1327899541983)

apparently these fit my dimension requirements perfectly and are a great price .. looking to pick up about three of these and I guess we`ll see how that goes lol thanks again everyone !!

I will probably never want to spend a lot on cabinets. I saw some wood ones (6 ft high, 4ft wide, 20 in deep) at Lowe`s for $110 or so but I will pay more attention to the shelf design if I buy new.

cmichael258
03-04-2012, 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmichael258
...and the sun starts setting in the East

Shop enviro elements 70"H x 35"W x 18"D Resin Multi-Purpose Cabinet at Lowes.com

I took advantage of Coucours.John`s experience and returned to the hardware store to purchase some 1/2" particle board to give the shelves some support. Hopefully, adding these pieces and keeping the heavy stuff on the bottom will solve the issue.I did notice that the lower shelf was already starting to sag a little, as you can see a gap between the shelf and particle board in photos 1 and 2.

http://i511.photobucket.com/albums/s352/cmichael258/SDC10645.jpg

http://i511.photobucket.com/albums/s352/cmichael258/SDC10647.jpg

http://i511.photobucket.com/albums/s352/cmichael258/SDC10648.jpg