PDA

View Full Version : Torque Wrench Recommendations?

Pages : [1] 2 3

RootsRadical
01-27-2012, 01:30 PM
I`m looking to purchase a 1/2 inch drive torque wrench and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions. I`ve seen `em sell for $10 - $500 and everywhere in between. I`m looking to spend around $60 and definitely no more than $100.

Any recommendations?

Todd@RUPES
01-27-2012, 02:00 PM
I cannot remember the brand of the one I bought, it was from Advanced Auto. We tested the calibration against my buddies (who is a professional mechanic and has one of those expensive digital wrenches) and it was spot on. I wanna say it was around your price range, maybe a little bit less.

Dr Oldz
01-27-2012, 02:09 PM
If you want the real deal get a Snap-On. They are the only ones I trust and use.

RootsRadical
01-27-2012, 02:27 PM
Thanks, guys. There`s an Advance Auto Parts store on my way home from work. Maybe I`ll stop and check out what they have.

I was checking out the Snap-on torque wrenches on Amazon.com but they are pretty pricey. Although I`m sure that you get what you pay for. Hey, Dr. Oldz...If someone was to go that route, do you happen to know why they list the 1503MFRMH wrench (20 - 150 ft. pounds) for $197.87 and the 2503MFRMH wrench (30 - 250 ft. pounds) for substantially less at $146.96? Is there more accuracy with the smaller range? Or is the 2503 just a newer model with a better price?

-J

Dr Oldz
01-27-2012, 03:20 PM
I will find out for you tonight. Snap-On guy is stopping buy tonight. But from the looks I might suggest the drive size?? I`ll find out the info for u later.

RootsRadical
01-27-2012, 03:28 PM
I will find out for you tonight. Snap-On guy is stopping buy tonight. But from the looks I might suggest the drive size?? I`ll find out the info for u later.

Wow, thanks! Perfect timing. :)

Oh, and I have confirmed that they are both 1/2 in. drive if that helps out any.

-J

Reality33
01-27-2012, 03:37 PM
I myself have the two Kobalt models from Lowe`s. Very nice drives (wonder who makes em TBH) They are right around your price range and have served me well for several years without issue.

rider9195
01-27-2012, 03:45 PM
I bought a Craftsman 1/2" drive that goes from 20-150 ft. lbs. I bought it for $40 on Black Friday, but you can get the same one now for $80.

TroyScherer
01-27-2012, 04:22 PM
I am using one that I picked up from harbor freight. So far it hasn`t let me down yet. Oh, and less than $20.

Link: 1/2" Torque Wrench (http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-drive-click-stop-torque-wrench-239.html)

GearHead_1
01-27-2012, 04:42 PM
Another vote for Snap-On. I own several in various sizes and have sent them in for a "physical" on occasion. Not one time did they ever charge me for a recalibration. Believe me, Snap-On isn`t afraid to charge you, what it tells me is they`ve held their calibration well.

Stokdgs
01-27-2012, 05:55 PM
Have had great results with Craftsman and an old tool manufacturer, SK. I think they used to be called SK Wayne or something like that a long time ago, but now they are just SK.

You need to know what you are going to be using it on the most and perhaps purchase appropriately.

The Longer 1/2" drive models are perfect for torquing on Wheel Bolts and Nuts, the shorter 3/8" drive models are better under the hood where they can get at the smaller places.

I just finished using the bigger one on a complete tear out/replace of a rear seat, seat, seat back, seat belts, etc. of a 2006 Ford F150 XLT SuperCab, T50 and T40 Torx head bolts, and this and a big 1/2" drive Breaker were invaluable.

Like all things, the more expensive, the better quality, reliability,accuracy, etc.. None of mine are Digital, they are the old "click" sound which I prefer anyway. (less stuff to break)

Dan F

C. Charles Hahn
01-27-2012, 05:58 PM
I am using one that I picked up from harbor freight. So far it hasn`t let me down yet. Oh, and less than $20.

Link: 1/2" Torque Wrench (http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-drive-click-stop-torque-wrench-239.html)

I have/use the same, and they seem to stay pretty spot on calibration-wise. I keep one in each of my cars and one in my toolbox.

Concours.John
01-27-2012, 07:41 PM
One of the biggest things to remember is to know the proper torque recommendations. So many shops use impacts while doing work and the result is not correct. I can`t tell you how many times I have found wheel lug nuts embedded into wheels 40 - 50lbs over torqued. The result is a flange spread way to far.

Bunky
01-27-2012, 08:17 PM
I have an old Craftsman (bending bar type) but doubt it is that accurate but close enough for torquing tires.

lasthope05
01-27-2012, 09:36 PM
Any torque wrench will do fine such as from stores like autozone, advanced auto...etc. The most important thing is calibration of it which should be done periodically(you can do it yourself.) No need for a fancy digital one as a mechanical clicking one will do just fine. Not to mention the mechanical ones are used to calibrate the digital ones.