PDA

View Full Version : Any hope for this?? (pics)

wmflyfisher
01-25-2012, 03:06 PM
My wife`s honda 2005 on the roof and near the rear trunk lid. Looks like the clear coat is coming off. Is there any hope for this type of problem?? Or, what should I do to prevent further damage? This car honestly hasn`t probably seen a wax job in a couple of years. Once I get my orbital, I plan to do some work thanks to this site! Headlights are badly fogged over too.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j250/wmflyfisher/car2.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j250/wmflyfisher/car1.jpg

Old Pirate
01-25-2012, 03:19 PM
What year is it? and from the pictures you posted looks like a repaint is in order.

wmflyfisher
01-25-2012, 03:21 PM
What year is it? and from the pictures you posted looks like a repaint is in order.

It`s a 2005 and black in color. Could they just re-spray clear or would it need a whole job? I`m ok with the current problem if I can just keep it from progressing. Don`t really have the funds to repaint it either :(

CT3
01-25-2012, 03:22 PM
From looking at the first picture you posted, I would say that you need a repaint.

Old Pirate
01-25-2012, 03:23 PM
It`s hard to say from the pictures, but a respray of clear should do it. have a good paint shop look at it to see if that`s the only thing needed.

wmflyfisher
01-25-2012, 03:38 PM
Thanks guys. Yeah, looks like the clear is just starting to come off the paint. The sucky thing is, some of the body has already been painted a few years ago. Guess that doesn`t really matter. It looks fine though.

Rocket
01-25-2012, 05:18 PM
I`m afraid you might be told it needs to be reprinted including the base coat. That`s what I was told by a couple of shops. I don`t see why this would be the case but maybe you can find a shop that will say different

classofshine
01-25-2012, 05:53 PM
Looks like the paint is even off. Nothing you can do but repaint it at this point.

Do Hondas have the worst paint? I seem to see this an awful lot with these vehicles.

Beemerboy
01-25-2012, 06:08 PM
The clear and the base coat are failing what you are seeing is the primer.

Nothing short of repaint is in order..sorry

wmflyfisher
01-25-2012, 08:25 PM
No it`s not primer underneath. Just looks that way because the clear has turned white and is starting to come off. Regardless it will need paint. Maybe I`ll get some quotes soon.

The Gloss Boss
01-25-2012, 09:49 PM
Just a shot in the dark, but maybe these areas could be sanded or maybe just buffed to reveal the color coat. Then an application of opti coat could be applied to protect these areas and the rest of the car from further damage.

wmflyfisher
01-25-2012, 10:12 PM
Just a shot in the dark, but maybe these areas could be sanded or maybe just buffed to reveal the color coat. Then an application of opti coat could be applied to protect these areas and the rest of the car from further damage.

Thanks Gloss. I`m a newb to detailing and all. Sort of scared I`ll screw something up. Guess I need to get to reading some more!!

The Gloss Boss
01-26-2012, 04:34 AM
It`s pretty hard to screw something up unless you really try to or just don`t use plain ol common sense. Just be sure to apply the principle of "least aggressive method to get the job done", do some research, and don`t be afraid to try things out. Try rubbing some polish or compound on the area by hand to see if there is any improvement and go from there.

Todd@RUPES
01-26-2012, 07:39 AM
At the very least the clear is extremely oxidized and failing, this would be a best case scenario. I have seen similar spots that were polished out (you could still see some remains of the failure) but they did look a better. Even with polishing it is going to be very hard to keep that from spreading, oxidation is kind of like cancer, unless you can remove it all (which I don`t think you can) you in trouble.

Likely you have total paint system failure all the way done to the base coat.

If the problem is limited to the clear then you can have that spot removed and re-cleared, but the results are likely going to be okay at best.

sjb89
01-26-2012, 11:51 AM
Strip it, prime it, paint it, and like it! Remember,you get what you pay for.