PDA

View Full Version : With all this CG talk

Pages : [1] 2

classofshine
01-13-2012, 07:53 PM
With all this talk about Chemical guys and how a lot of you including myself really like a good amount of their products, has anyone tried anything from their Smartwax line? The products look interesting, esp. the airless bottling. Any chance ACC will be picking up this line as well?

mwtaco
01-13-2012, 08:35 PM
what??? smartwax is a chemical guys product?

classofshine
01-13-2012, 08:41 PM
Yes, it sure is. Go the the CG site then the smartwax site. Both are a rather confusing cluster f! You can also see the same theme followed.

mwtaco
01-13-2012, 08:49 PM
i really like their packaging. i checked out the sw store online. doesnt seem as raunchy as the cg website.

CT3
01-13-2012, 09:48 PM
I`ve never even heard of smartwax before, I`ll have to go and check it out.

aray
01-13-2012, 09:58 PM
I was wondering this as well....from a marketing perspective is this for CG to just cover all the bases?

CG - pro detailer marketed...but still sold to consumers...and marketed to consumers

Smartwax - consumer marketed...but still sold in gallon sizes...err...

Some interesting looking products though -- wonder about this one "Smartwax Concourse Paste Wax - Hand Crafted Perfection. Compare to any $150 - $500 paste waxes on the market."

SS 07C70
01-13-2012, 10:14 PM
Interesting, I`ve heard of (never tried) the Smartwax line, but did not know it was part of CG.

TroyScherer
01-13-2012, 10:39 PM
Smart wax is for sure another division of the chemical guys company. Just another marketing angle.

mwtaco
01-13-2012, 11:22 PM
saw a thread in another forum ragging on smartwax as just a more expensive line of cg equivalents. doesnt seem that popular.

aray
01-13-2012, 11:40 PM
Smart wax is for sure another division of the chemical guys company. Just another marketing angle.

I`m not sure if I love or hate all the CG marketing stuff.

First, they make a staggering number of products, with at least 6-7 offerings in each category, many of which seem redundant/overlap. Now add another brand-engineered product line, with more redundancy.

On one hand - I like to play with different products, and CG`s massive line has the appeal of a Vegas Buffet, lots of stuff to try. Even if all of it`s not amazing, some of it will be pretty good. Their price point is pretty decent as well, encouraging additional trialing of products.

On the other hand - all that energy spent brand-engineering could be spent on...well...actual engineering. Instead of trying to make 7 different similar dressings, what if ALL those resources were focused on really refining just a couple? The number of products also makes me question the amount of testing that can occur.

I guess it`s just a different strategy from players like Optimum, Einszett, Blackfire, etc. who focus on doing a limited number of products without overlap.

rzatch
01-14-2012, 12:35 AM
And you haven`t taken into account the amount of engineering that goes into private labeling of products. Want a wax with your name on it CG will do it.

embolism
01-14-2012, 12:39 AM
it seems like they are trying a bit of this and that. Has anyone used that $850 wax they are offering? Seems like a contradiction to me to offer something that high end when most of their stuff is marketed to the masses...

rzatch
01-14-2012, 01:30 AM
I don`t think CG would be the place I would look for a 850.00 wax. Then again there isn`t anyplace I would look for a 850.00 wax!

mjlinane
01-14-2012, 05:19 AM
Then again there isn`t anyplace I would look for a 850.00 wax!

:exactly:

I can`t even bring myself to buy Pete`s 53 - something I really want to try.

mwtaco
01-14-2012, 06:49 AM
there huge selection with overlapping features make it really difficult to choose a product. there website is entertaining. the videos could use some work. there is one where they try and sell you the jetstream dryer by demoin it on a car thats not even wet. another for the sidekick by demoing it on a motorcycle and made it look pretty unimpressive.