PDA

View Full Version : Use ONR - without drying it, just let it self dry

Pages : [1] 2

DrG
01-11-2012, 03:46 PM
So it`s wintertime up in Canada and I hate seeing my car dirty all the time so I thought of a quick wash routine before heading out in the morning.

1) Fillup bucket with hot water and ONR, put on some latex gloves

2) Quickly make one pass over the car with the ONR in about 15 mins and then just drive away and let the car air dry without using drrying towel.
SIDENOTE: I will only do this when not too grimey, if it`s grimey there`s a self wash station right near me I can go rinse it off for $3 with.

Why? Because I can do a quick rouch pass over the car this way without needing to make sure it`s 100% clean before drying. I can just clean it up roughly in 10-15 mins and be done with it. Ohterwise I end up making mullttiiple passes over the same area and it takes me at least an hour to wash and dry the car.

I normally make one pass with one side of the mit and then a second pass with the second side of the mitt to make sure each panel is 100% clean, but this is because if it`s not I will scratch it during the drying process. If I`m not drying I can quickly just go over half a panel one time with one side of the mitt and the other half of the panel with the other side of the mitt without going over the same area twice.

This would make it possible for me to wash the car in about 15 minutes vs. one hour and sicne I`m not running over the car with a drying towel it doesn`t matter if it`s 100% clean since I won`t be scratching it anyway.

Will I get water spots?
Last I recall ONR is supposed to help prevent water spots and driving right after should help prevent some water spots too.
I don`t think too much dirt should be left on the surface to stain it since whenever I used to go over with my drying towel it came out clean anyway so there`s usually a clean dirt free surface left after using ONR just a bit of ONR and water.

DHCrocks
01-11-2012, 03:54 PM
ONR will not dry clear, it leaves behind a film. I`ve noticed that when I`ve missed drying a spot in the past that it did not look good and had a residue left behind. If you want it to look good then dry it.

Paul Sparks
01-11-2012, 04:18 PM
Dr.G this seems like a strange first post with the name you have chosen. I take it you are no relation to the founder of Optimum products ? As for not rinseing ONR off then why not just use Opt-Clean waterless wash ? No film left behind and a slick glossy finish.

mwtaco
01-11-2012, 04:28 PM
that`s who i thought it was...the Dr. G of Optimum products himself. Will the real Dr. G step forward?

I have hard water. I`m pretty sure I`ll end up with spots.

CT3
01-11-2012, 06:37 PM
I`m not driving away before I dry my vehicle off properly. I would imagine there would be film, water spots?, and road grime sticking to the wet area?

umi000
01-11-2012, 07:33 PM
From experience, it`s going to leave a residue behind.

rzatch
01-11-2012, 07:45 PM
Chris will probably chime in here but I believe it is not recommended that it air dry on the car.

Bunky
01-11-2012, 07:47 PM
Chris will probably chime in here but I believe it is not recommended that it air dry on the car.

It can streak like anything else. I doubt it does any "damage" -- just wet again and wipe.

rzatch
01-11-2012, 08:18 PM
No I doubt it does any damage either can`t really see how it could, actually when you dry the car you don`t get it all off either. But from a results stand point I can see where it is not recommended.

Chris@Optimum
01-11-2012, 08:21 PM
It has to be dried or it will spot. The only thing you can safely leave to dry is RO or distilled water with no chemical added.

I`d like to request you change your display name as Dr.G is very commonly used for Dr. David Ghodoussi, CEO of Optimum in the detailing circle...every post you make will likely be confusing.

holland_patrick
01-12-2012, 07:55 AM
Yep it could be confusing or he could just add a signature that says he is not the Opt owner..

rzatch
01-12-2012, 08:14 AM
It`s just like the guys that have @poorboys world in their signature. It can lead people to think they have an affiliation.:dunno:

CT3
01-12-2012, 08:18 AM
It`s just like the guys that have @poorboys world in their signature. It can lead people to think they have an affiliation.:dunno:

That`s a good observation, I actually thought they were affiliated.

wendell jarvis
01-12-2012, 08:36 AM
ONR will not dry clear, it leaves behind a film. I`ve noticed that when I`ve missed drying a spot in the past that it did not look good and had a residue left behind. If you want it to look good then dry it.

:bigups You are correct, it does leave behind a film, noticed it on windows and glass, it also can leave water spots if not properly dried, makes me kinda wonder about the posting on this page from Dr. G

wendell jarvis
01-12-2012, 08:38 AM
It has to be dried or it will spot. The only thing you can safely leave to dry is RO or distilled water with no chemical added.

I`d like to request you change your display name as Dr.G is very commonly used for Dr. David Ghodoussi, CEO of Optimum in the detailing circle...every post you make will likely be confusing.

Good call Chris, This bothered me also....very decieving and poor information !!