PDA

View Full Version : Choosing products

Pages : [1] 2

Pro Shine
01-11-2012, 12:04 AM
I`m in debate on choosing the right chemicals I know its personal preference but Ive only bought things here and there (mothers products) for personal use and I`ve heard buying in a kit you end up with a lot of unused products. Anything will help thanks

Rocket
01-11-2012, 12:15 AM
What kind of products are you looking for? For exterior or interior? There are a ton of products to choose from but if you tell us what you like as far as appearance and qualities we can probably suggest products you will like.

CT3
01-11-2012, 12:16 AM
Take your time and research the product reviews here. You will find the product that work, and save yourself some cash. When I started, I bought a kit...it was a mistake.

rzatch
01-11-2012, 12:20 AM
Hanging around this place will cause you to be in constant debate and restraint. The amount of opinions and products can be overwhelming at times when you’re first starting out buying stuff. But after awhile you`ll sort through it just don`t be in a hurry and do research.

Djboy26
01-11-2012, 12:25 AM
trial and error try some if it doesn`t preform them switch it up it been working from me so far there`s alot of hi dollar products you can try but work your way up to them because you might end up breaking the bank before you even get off the ground. there are definitely some good product that you can only buy from online not local shops carry them.
just my 2 cents

smdetail
01-11-2012, 01:14 AM
Great question! I have been detailing for over 20 years and wish I could say all the products I started with are the same as what I`m using now but everything changes and this business seems to be changing even faster than most! I try to buy a couple new products every month just to test the waters. I am fan of many different products including Menzerna, Zaino, Mequiars, Collinite, Automatic, etc... I would recommend reading the forums and making your own decision based on your thoughts, preferences, and budget. There are a lot of great products out there but proper use of products is more important than how good the product is. There are a lot of "detailers" that use great products but don`t know how to use them. Concentrate on your process, it will make your product look good! Good luck!

Pro Shine
01-11-2012, 03:15 AM
What kind of products are you looking for? For exterior or interior? There are a ton of products to choose from but if you tell us what you like as far as appearance and qualities we can probably suggest products you will like.

I`d like to get some insight on interior products for the exterior I`ve always used mothers polishers but I`d like to step up to a higher quality brand I`m really leaning towards black fire or poorboys just don`t wanna go crazy and break my bank. I guess I`m looking for advice on the "basic products " that will be used daily

mjlinane
01-11-2012, 06:48 AM
Go to the Detailing Products Reviews forum and you`ll see reviews of many products by members.

I`ve recently been writing reviews on Chemical Guys products. For "professional" use, they are quite good. Perform well and very cost effective (especially if bought by the gallon). A little goes a long way and are generally sold in concentrate form. (Not only do you get more but you aren`t paying $$ for water.)

mwtaco
01-11-2012, 08:03 AM
i make most if my choices based on the forums. they are all worth trying. for any need i have i search the forum and see whats been discussed. its nearly all already in here.

CT3
01-11-2012, 08:11 AM
I`d like to get some insight on interior products for the exterior I`ve always used mothers polishers but I`d like to step up to a higher quality brand I`m really leaning towards black fire or poorboys just don`t wanna go crazy and break my bank. I guess I`m looking for advice on the "basic products " that will be used daily

Poorboy`s products are a a cost effective way to get a top of the line look. Blackfire products probably cost a little more, but they are second to none in quality and looks imo. Spend some time in the review section, and you`ll have a better idea what products will do exactly what your looking for.

TroyScherer
01-11-2012, 10:01 AM
Can you break down what kind of interior and exterior product you are looking for? This will help everyone know what exactly you are looking for.

Also are you a mobile or fixed location detailer. This will have an effect on the products recommended as well.

What kind of work do you do? A lot of wax and wax or full out multi-step corrections? Daily drivers or High End Exotics?

Sample:

Interior: Dash protectant, Leather Seats, Cloth Seats, Carpets, Etc...
Exterior: Compound, polish, Trim Product, Wax, Sealant, Etc...

-

Mr. Gloss
01-11-2012, 10:19 AM
Don`t let anybody here convince you that OTC products are inferior to online products. They are not.

Mother`s makes fine products as does Meguiar`s, 3M, Collinite; and more. They are even sold here, that`s how good they are!

Find something you like and use it often. Even if it`s Mothers.

rzatch
01-11-2012, 10:26 AM
True some OTC products are very good. Meguiars ultimate line is just aboout as good as you can get, sometimes at half the price. Their Ultimate compound and polish work very good and you can have both for 20 bucks.

Pro Shine
01-11-2012, 12:36 PM
Can you break down what kind of interior and exterior product you are looking for? This will help everyone know what exactly you are looking for.

Also are you a mobile or fixed location detailer. This will have an effect on the products recommended as well.

What kind of work do you do? A lot of wax and wax or full out multi-step corrections? Daily drivers or High End Exotics?

Sample:

Interior: Dash protectant, Leather Seats, Cloth Seats, Carpets, Etc...
Exterior: Compound, polish, Trim Product, Wax, Sealant, Etc...

-

I am a mobile detailer I do pretty much everything and mostly work with daily drivers but occasionally get a little more high end example BMW, Mercedes, jaguar etc.

TroyScherer
01-11-2012, 05:40 PM
Since you are mobile, I think a good product line to look into is the Poorboy`s line. Their stuff is made to work in some of those less than ideal conditions like direct sunlight. I have there Master Cut compound and it works very well. My testing of it was done outside after the vehicles sat out most of the day, so the panels were warm and the sun was out. I also have and use their liquid natty blue wax. It looks great and works even better in direct sun conditions in my experience.

As others have said there are many OTC products available that will work. But the Poorboy`s line is designed for your circumstances.