PDA

View Full Version : What Speed...?

Garry Dean
01-08-2012, 09:37 PM
Do you run your Megs Microfiber Cutting discs at on the da?

I just completed a full cut and buff on an 08 Vette and totally ruined 4 5" mf cutting discs with my PCXP on speed 5.

Trashing $40 worth of pads really lowers the bottom line...

rzatch
01-08-2012, 09:42 PM
Yeah it`s kind of hard to keep the doors open when you make 40 bucks less than you thought you were going to. Don`t know what the total bill was but I would think that was a pretty good percentage lost.

Dasher
01-08-2012, 09:51 PM
What speed do you run your Megs Microfiber Cutting discs at on the da?

I almost always use my 7336 (the old one) and G110 at speed five with a MF disk. On your 7424XP, that would be closer to speed four. However, I use quite a bit of pressure. The disk normally rates 2-3 times per second.

Speed six on a 7336 is way too fast for the disk. Just the center seems to contact the paint and places excessive wear on the disk.

Just to add... I find that M101 does not like high speeds at all. Speed six actually reduces the cut by quite a bit. I like speed five or four for serious correction.

Garry Dean
01-08-2012, 10:00 PM
I almost always use my 7336 (the old one) and G110 at speed five with a MF disk. On your 7424XP, that would be closer to speed four. However, I use quite a bit of pressure. The disk normally rates 2-3 times per second.

Speed six on a 7336 is way too fast for the disk. Just the center seems to contact the paint and places excessive wear on the disk.

Just to add... I find that M101 does not like high speeds at all. Speed six actually reduces the cut by quite a bit. I like speed five or four for serious correction.

Very interesting. Thanks for the response, Chris.

So I should try more pressure and slower speed? The pads are delaminating in the center.

Dasher
01-08-2012, 10:15 PM
So I should try more pressure and slower speed? The pads are delaminating in the center.

I would try less speed and more pressure.

None of my 5" disks have delaminated yet (fingers crossed). There was a bad batch of 5" pads, so we can`t completely rule that out.

Also, I would switch over to a Meg`s backing plate. Their DA plates are made with micro loop velcro. DA MF pads have a lot of surface area and much more contact with the paint surface. This means that the microfiber material can be slowing down the orbit of the pad. Something has to give. A micro loop velcro backing plate allows the pad to move if placed under extreme stress. A backing plate with standard loop velcro tends to hook into the pad and prevents the pad from moving. I find this significantly shortens the lifespan of the DA MF pads.

Garry Dean
01-08-2012, 10:33 PM
I would try less speed and more pressure.

None of my 5" disks have delaminated yet (fingers crossed). There was a bad batch of 5" pads, so we can`t completely rule that out.

Also, I would switch over to a Meg`s backing plate. Their DA plates are made with micro loop velcro. DA MF pads have a lot of surface area and much more contact with the paint surface. This means that the microfiber material can be slowing down the orbit of the pad. Something has to give. A micro loop velcro backing plate allows the pad to move if placed under extreme stress. A backing plate with standard loop velcro tends to hook into the pad and prevents the pad from moving. I find this significantly shortens the lifespan of the DA MF pads.

Gotcha! I will order the W67DA backing plate tomorrow. Thanks!

Dasher
01-08-2012, 10:37 PM
Gotcha! I will order the W67DA backing plate tomorrow. Thanks!

One thing that makes a huge difference in defect removal with a DA MF pad is the sizing. The closer you can get the backing plate to the edge of the pad, the better the defect removal.

The W68 plate is slightly bigger than a 5" disk. However, you can easily trim it down using a drill and file (or a drill press and a razor blade). It makes a huge difference.

Paul Sparks
01-08-2012, 10:42 PM
One thing that makes a huge difference in defect removal with a DA MF pad is the sizing. The closer you can get the backing plate to the edge of the pad, the better the defect removal.

The W68 plate is slightly bigger than a 5" disk. However, you can easily trim it down using a drill and file (or a drill press and a razor blade). It makes a huge difference.

Chris is right on the money with the w68 cut down plate. Has worked wonders for me. I also find a spritz of water is important on the m/f in keeping it clean.

mjlinane
01-08-2012, 11:00 PM
I read somewhere the speed limit for Megs MF pads is 4800 OPM. I believe this and I use 4.5. Can`t wait for the Opti Cutting MFs.

C. Charles Hahn
01-08-2012, 11:59 PM

I was just discussing this very thing with Kevin Brown a few days ago, and he is sending me a couple of different backing plates (one is a cut down Mirka 106GG, the other a cut down W68DA) for use with the 5" pads. I also picked up the Mirka 103GG plates for use with 3" MF pads.