PDA

View Full Version : Jeep Hood Issues

Pages : [1] 2

Parrothead
01-05-2012, 05:06 PM
My jeep hood has tiny "chicken feet tracks" about 1/8 inch in size covering
the flat areas. Feels rough to the touch. Is this a clearcoat failure and if so what are your recommendations?

Old Pirate
01-05-2012, 05:10 PM
Sounds like failure of the CC on the paint, but how bout some photos of it.

rider9195
01-05-2012, 05:17 PM
It is most likely clear coat failure. The only fix is a respray.

Parrothead
01-05-2012, 05:28 PM
I tried taking pictures but they do not show up with my camera. The markings
look like very fine irregular scratches. With a coat of wax smooths out the hood
but of coarse the scratching remains. I`ll try more pics in the morning.

mrclean81
01-05-2012, 05:47 PM
Its your clear. Jeeps are notorious for it. I`ve done countless Jeeps and half of them had the same problem.

Beemerboy
01-05-2012, 05:56 PM
Its called crows feet in some cases and repaint is about the only solution

classofshine
01-05-2012, 06:44 PM
Sounds like cc failure to me. Something you can try to prevent it from chipping and getting worse much slower are the new nano coatings. By this Im talking about Opt guard/coat. Will really help slow the clear coats demise.

TroyScherer
01-05-2012, 07:27 PM
It definitely sounds like clear coat failure but pictures would help. As stated by others usually a respray is in order.

Another possible option is to polish them out and use something like opti-coat. I have seen some others use O.C. on new clear coat failure and it has seemed to solve the problem.

Link: Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 Permanent Paint Coating (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/opti-coat.html)

Stokdgs
01-05-2012, 08:56 PM
Sorry to hear this has happened to your Jeep - what year is it, and is it original paint on the hood?

As said above, sounds like "crows feet" = clear coat about to go south. Sometimes it still takes awhile to get worse.

I remember back in the mid-80`s Chevrolet painted a slew of new cars and trucks wrong and they all failed almost at the same time a year later or so, and they had to repaint everyone`s vehicle again.

If you dont have a warranty, you may have to sometime, find a really good shop, talk to the Owner, find out what your options are, look at some of his paint jobs, and have it done. You might want to get up to the roof and see if its doing the same thing there too. Way better to get it all done at once than a panel at a time.

Good luck with this !
Dan F

embolism
01-06-2012, 12:16 AM
try including your finger in the shot

it helps the camera focus and maybe will help capture the paint issue

unfortunately, it does sound like crows feet and respray is the only way to fix it.

Is it all over the hood or just in a specific area? how old is the car?

Parrothead
01-06-2012, 01:27 AM
Problem is all over the hood.

Vehicle is a 2006 Rubicon, color black. I guess I will just remove the hood
and have it redone. I can do all the prep work and just have to pay for
the finish.

I wonder if the lack of insulation under the hood is a contributing factor?

BobbyG
01-06-2012, 07:08 AM
Clear coat failure is the likely cause for what you describe. While you can minimize it`s look the only way to correct it is to refinish the panel.

rzatch
01-06-2012, 10:47 AM
I had the same thing on my chevy truck. It will only get worse and there is no cure for other than a repray.

Parrothead
01-06-2012, 11:12 AM
The consensus is a respray here. I guess the hood comes off and I`ll start to work on it this weekend. I can do the prep work and bring it to a paint shop
for the respray. Thanks to all for your input.

mikenap
01-06-2012, 11:25 AM
My old 96 Honda Civic had crow`s feet all over the hood too. My wife`s newer Honda has it on the trunk in only two small spots, but it`s frustrating anyway.