PDA

View Full Version : Anyone offering paint touch up service?

Gurge
01-03-2012, 03:04 PM
Just curious if any other detailers out there are offering paint touch up along with their services?

Currently looking into a mobile paint touch up system. It involves what seems like a simple way of mixing the exact paint you need on site then filling the damage with bondo first (if needed) then paint. I believe its then leveled with something like the `blob eliminator` type of product.

They`re not exactly giving this system away, but it appears to be cheaper than some other similar alternatives

I know of at least one fixed shop in my area offering the service starting at $75. This could be high based on my area (long island). However, doing paint touch up is something I do get asked about enough that I was looking into it.

Garry Dean
01-03-2012, 03:11 PM
Yes Sir. I proudly use Dr.Colorchip.

Gurge
01-03-2012, 03:36 PM
I guess there is a commercial version of Dr. Colorchip where you can mix / match the paint as needed? I think I had read that somewhere, but my understanding was that it was very expensive for the full kit.

Roughly - how frequently are your clients opting for this service? 25% of the time? more / less?

Garry Dean
01-03-2012, 07:42 PM
I guess there is a commercial version of Dr. Colorchip where you can mix / match the paint as needed? I think I had read that somewhere, but my understanding was that it was very expensive for the full kit.

Roughly - how frequently are your clients opting for this service? 25% of the time? more / less?

I offer touch up whenever I notice that its needed. That is generally 90% of the time. I sell the service about 35% of the time.

Gurge
01-04-2012, 10:28 AM
I`d say that selling the service to roughly 1/3 of your clients is pretty good and a further indication I should seriously consider this.

and I`d agree that many if not almost all daily drivers could use some touch up work. Even my own truck could use it in a few spots courtesy of the prior owner

anyone doing touchup work with something other than the Dr. Colorchip system? are you also seeing 1/3 of your clients opting for the service?

golden1
12-17-2012, 08:04 PM
bondo fill is not very good idea 3m polyester is a far better choice but dr colorchip seams to be the way to go i just bought a couple of there kits and they worked nicely

Shockwav86
12-18-2012, 09:05 AM
I recently tried Dr. Colorchip on my 2012 Dodge Challenger R/T in Redline Tri-Coat Pearl, and I couldn`t be more dissapointed. The paint didn`t even match. I will be trying again in the spring to see if it was maybe the temperature, but not a happy camper.

Gurge
12-18-2012, 09:24 AM
funny this thread has risen from the graveyard

FWIW I purchased the Applied Colors kit which I`m happy with, although doesn`t get used as often as I thought. Partially my own fault for not pushing it more often. But if you have the patience to match the paint correctly (that is the most difficult part) then the kit works really well. Gotta be a real money maker if you`re doing a lot of dealer work.

The Driver
08-29-2013, 11:43 PM
I offer touch up under two conditions, this way I`m covered from certain errors.

1.They must pick up the touch up paint themselves (I always recommend the dealer). This way there is no mis-match.

2.The paint itself must only be chipping, if it`s spidered I immediately tell them it must be sprayed.

+ I felt like bumping this thread. Good tips.

JSFM35X
08-30-2013, 04:55 AM
I have a pearl white car and the dr color chip did not even come close. They are unable to match pearl colors. They are good on non metallic colors only IMHO.

I recently tried Dr. Colorchip on my 2012 Dodge Challenger R/T in Redline Tri-Coat Pearl, and I couldn`t be more dissapointed. The paint didn`t even match. I will be trying again in the spring to see if it was maybe the temperature, but not a happy camper.