PDA

View Full Version : washing car in winter

Pages : [1] 2

Bobwax
12-13-2011, 01:14 PM
good afternoon!! THANK YOU ALL for the great help with my first post!
to sum up: i washed my car, clayed, polished, will now do a sealant, then collinite 845. i want this car to look really good.

problem: i live in Massachusetts. had a killer winter last year.

i can
1. hand wash car at home, pretty tough once the snow arrives.
2. take to no touch car wash
3. drive thru car wash that DOES touch the paint.
4. take it to a wash that you yourself spray with the wand.

which should i do?
how often?
when is it time for me to redo the wax again?

any advice is great!!

thanks so much!

best

Bob:bow

BobbyG
12-13-2011, 03:15 PM
Hi Bob!

You live in Massachusetts so that`s 1 strike. :lmfao
I`m giving you advise and I`m also from Massachusetts so that`s strike 2. :rofl

The soaps used at a commercial car wash are very strong and will likely strip the sealants and waxes you just applied.

I`ve found 2 methods that work well for me..

1. I`ll mix up a solution of hot water and the car wash soap of my choice in a plastic bucket with a lid. I`ll take this, a wash mitt, and a pair of rubber gloves I picked up at WalMart to a local car wash and use the manual wand bay and rinse only. The hot water keeps your hands from freezing. Then I drive my car home and finish drying it in my heated garage. I have a woodstove out there but heat is heat! LOL

2. Last year I started using one of the new Rinseless Washes. There are several out there that work well but these two really perform well; DP Rinseless Wash & Gloss and Optimum No Rinse. I mix these as well in hot water and use rubber gloves. I put some of the solution in a garden sprayer and soak down each panel allowing the solution to soften and begin dissolving the surface contaminates.

Next I dip a wool wash mitt in the solution then lightly wash each panel twice, once to remove the initial grime then a second time to remove any remaining and float them harmlessly to the floor. At first I was very apprehensive using these products because I was afraid of scratching the finish but it does a damn good job at protecting it.

Today I`m leaning more toward the 2nd option since it worked so well over the last two years but I can`t wait until the finish becomes caked with winter driving salts and sands like some do. So far this year it`s been incredibly warm which helps tremendously so option two is the best choice..

Once the car`s dry I like giving the finish some additional protection by give the entire finish a once over with a quality spray wax and Optimums Spray Car Wax is the best I`ve found to date. It`s a spray and wipe product that performs superbly leaving a glossy shine and 4 to 5 months of added protection...

Any time the finish is clean and dry adding another coat of wax such as Collinite 845 will help fend off what winters dishing out...

Todd@RUPES
12-13-2011, 03:39 PM
Hi Bob!

You live in Massachusetts so that`s 1 strike. :lmfao
I`m giving you advise and I`m also from Massachusetts so that`s strike 2. :rofl

The soaps used at a commercial car wash are very strong and will likely strip the sealants and waxes you just applied.

I`ve found 2 methods that work well for me..

1. I`ll mix up a solution of hot water and the car wash soap of my choice in a plastic bucket with a lid. I`ll take this, a wash mitt, and a pair of rummer gloves I picked up at WalMart to a local car wash and use the manual wand bay and rinse only. The hot water keeps your hands from freezing. Then I drive my car home and finish drying it in my heated garage. I have a woodstove out there but heat is heat! LOL

2. Last year I started using one of the new Rinseless Washes. There are several out there that work well; DP Rinseless Wash & Gloss and Optimum No Rinse. I mix these as well in hot water and use rubber gloves. I put some of the solution in a garden sprayer and soak down each panel allowing the solution to soften and begin dissolving the surface contaminates.

Next I dip a wool wash mitt in the solution then lightly wash each panel twice, once to remove the initial grime then a second time to remove any remaining and float them harmlessly to the floor. At first I was very apprehensive because I was afraid of scratching the finish but it does a damn good job at protecting it.

I`m leaning more toward the 2nd option since it worked so well over the last two years but I can`t wait until the finish becomes caked on with winter driving salts and sands like some do. So far this year it`s been incredibly warm which helps tremendously so option two is the best choice..

Once the car`s dry but I`d prefer using something like a quality spray wax and Optimums Spray Car Wax is the best I`ve found to date. It`s a spray and wipe product that performs superbly leaving a glossy shine and 4 to 5 months of added protection...

Any time the finish is clean and dry adding another coat of wax such as Collinite 845 will help fend off what winters dishing out...

More or less, I was going to type what Bobby did. Thanks for saving me from working and great answer. :rockon

I would look into rinseless washes, here is a thread I did on how to use them...

How To: Rinseless Wash your Vehicle (http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/detail-institute-presented-autopia-carcare-com/37262-how-rinseless-wash-your-vehicle.html)

Old Pirate
12-13-2011, 04:12 PM
Bobby got it right on this one for sure, hope this helps alot of folks in the north this winter when coming to wash their rides. Another way is to move south to Florida.:D

BIOLINK
12-13-2011, 05:39 PM
+1 on the rinseless wash. I love ONR. There are other good ones out there.

I live in Phx though so that is strike one for me on the cold weather advice. :rofl

Rocket
12-13-2011, 05:49 PM
Rinseless wash is the answer. ONR is a great product and works really well. I`ve used it for a while now and have only great things to say. As you use it and find your favorite method for doing a rinseless wash you will really love it even more.

agentxc_02
12-13-2011, 11:15 PM
I have done the no touch car washes here in central Illinois

daveinsweethome
12-14-2011, 10:11 AM
actually got down to the low 20s here in oregon. i have a turkey fryer that i heat up my wash water in and am wearing double thermals. 2 trucks and a camry last week and still standing.

Mr. Gloss
12-14-2011, 11:27 AM
A No Rinse will work for you "if" the garage is above freezing. Washing a car in an unheated garage on a 15 degree day.?

Good luck!

When using a No Rinse, be sure to open doors, hood and trunk so you can wipe out the salt residue that builds up in those jambs.

I use a gas fired unit heater to warm my garage up to about 80, put on some shorts and a t-shirt and wash away. :)

Yes, you can wash your car most of the winter when living in Florida. But come summer, you all move indoors or wash and detail under a tent!:rofl

Todd@RUPES
12-14-2011, 11:31 AM
A No Rinse will work for you "if" the garage is above freezing. Washing a car in an unheated garage on a 15 degree day.?

Good luck!

When using a No Rinse, be sure to open doors, hood and trunk so you can wipe out the salt residue that builds up in those jambs.

I use a gas fired unit heater to warm my garage up to about 80, put on some shorts and a t-shirt and wash away. :)

Yes, you can wash your car most of the winter when living in Florida. But come summer, you all move indoors or wash and detail under a tent!:rofl

True!!!

Paul Sparks
12-14-2011, 11:47 AM
Before I installed a gas furnace in my shop I used a combination of multiple halogen lights and a couple of space heaters. The shop which is insulated would get to about 44-46 degrees.It would allow the temp to raise enough to do ONR or a waterless wash. I don`t miss those days and now I`m spoiled by setting the thermostat at 55 and working in a t-shirt.

C. Charles Hahn
12-14-2011, 12:26 PM
Winter washing? Short answer is ONR is your friend.

mwtaco
12-14-2011, 05:38 PM
my plan when the salt comes: no touch wash, then rinseless, then spray wax.

Sleper
12-15-2011, 07:19 AM
I live in Canada and we do get some very fierce winters. I pick a day that it is close to freezing and wash the vehicle outside (hot water in bucket and wear rubber gloves) I then rinse well, use a leaf blower to get water out of cracks, then Shamois using aging hot water ( I bring in the garage for last step) Be sure to wipe down inside doors or they will freeze shut. Works for me

BobbyG
12-15-2011, 08:49 AM
The bottom line here is we all have a plan to keep the forces of nature at bay during a long hard winter.....:bigups