PDA

View Full Version : Steamer

Pages : [1] 2

Sleper
12-06-2011, 07:32 AM
Looking to purchase a steamer in the new year and wondering what you all use and recommend? I am a weekend warrier and do some detailing on the side so price is a huge factor. I currently own a extractor and just looking for added benefits of a steamer Thanks for the time jon

wendell jarvis
12-06-2011, 08:33 AM
try the Little Green steamer..at Target and Wal-Mart $100.00

BobbyG
12-06-2011, 08:41 AM
This is the one I have and I`ll bet both are very similar. I bought mine at Best Buy for about $100.00

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/BobbyG53/Detailing/AutoCareProHeat.jpg

Pats300zx
12-06-2011, 09:46 AM
Here is the one that I picked up back when it was on sale at Amazon for $50.00 shipped.

Amazon.com: McCulloch MC-1275 Heavy-Duty Steam Cleaner: Home & Garden (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000DF0RB/ref=asc_df_B0000DF0RB1809347?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B0000DF0RB)

Perfect for my weekend needs.

TroyScherer
12-06-2011, 09:51 AM
This one has been recommended to me highly by Richy...

Steam Cleaner Kit (http://www.harborfreight.com/steam-cleaner-kit-8823.html)

Jokeman
12-06-2011, 10:52 AM
I have the McCulloch. Its decent at best. If you are going to spend some money get a VX5000($800). My wife uses it around the house all the time. Cleans hardwood floors, tile grout, etc. I use it to clean the wifes jewelery so that keeps her happy. I actually dont use it on the cars as much as I thought I would. I wasnt that impressed with it on cars. When the McCulloch dies Ill step up to a VX5000.

RaskyR1
12-06-2011, 11:04 AM
I have the McCulloch. Its decent at best. If you are going to spend some money get a VX5000($800). My wife uses it around the house all the time. Cleans hardwood floors, tile grout, etc. I use it to clean the wifes jewelery so that keeps her happy. I actually dont use it on the cars as much as I thought I would. I wasnt that impressed with it on cars. When the McCulloch dies Ill step up to a VX5000.

What do you use the McCulloch for on cars now? :)

Greg Nichols
12-06-2011, 08:19 PM
I own the VX5000 vapor master, i`ve had it for a three years and I love it for carpets, vents, door jambs, little crevices, drink holders........

Cheers,
GREG

glfahlc
12-06-2011, 09:58 PM
i own the vc3000 and am quite impressed with its abilities on the cars and around the house. not quite as expensive as the 5000 but better for weekend warriors IMO.

Blindman
12-06-2011, 11:52 PM
I own 2 steamers but I really don`t even use them that much. Spot clean up`s in car or home. Walmart stuff.

TroyScherer
12-07-2011, 06:56 AM
So what steamer would people recommend for the weekend personal detailer?

doctordon
12-07-2011, 07:32 AM
Steamers and extractors are two different machines. I believe the original poster stated he already owns an extractor.

Some of the important things to look for in a steamer are the attachments and what they allow you to clean, size of the water tank, and length of hose. If you can find a steamer with a hose longer than 6 feet you will appreciate the fact that you can reach into a car and clean it easily without having to put the steamer in the car with you.

Depending on the vehicle you`re cleaning (and its condition), a larger water tank will allow you to clean the entire vehicle without having to wait for the unit to cool down so you can refill the tank. My steamer holds 3 1/3 quarts of water and can do an Excursion without refilling. Here`s a tip: use distilled water in the steamer to reduce water scale and mineral deposits in the tank. Where I live a gallon of distilled water is about 65 cents.

RootsRadical
01-08-2012, 07:17 PM
I, too, own the VX-5000. Once you get the hang of it, it really saves time on interior detailing. It`s pretty expensive, though, but starts to pay for itself as you use it. For example, you won`t need to purchase glass cleaning product anymore because the steam works perfectly on its own. It`s great for dirty carpets and fabrics but not for anything too filthy as you`d be better of with an extractor for those jobs.

I`ve also used it for engine detailing. Works well as long as you can find lint-free towels. Unfortunately, it`s gone up about $100 since I purchased it - but still a good option if you are able to drop $800.

-J

rzatch
01-08-2012, 07:33 PM
I know a lot of you guys use steamers and have no problem with them but I still have reservations about using them around all the electronics that I see them used on. I just know my luck.

Paul Sparks
01-08-2012, 07:47 PM
Doctordon`s post was spot on and to the point. I finally stepped up to a vx5000 which I was lucky enough to find used at a very reduced price from another member.Craigslist can be your friend. I can`t comment on the other cheaper models available but in most cases hot steam from any machine is better IMO then none at all. I use mine on interior windows , consoles , vents , seat tracks and door panels especially around seams and door latches. If mine died tomorrow I would be lost until I got a replacement.