PDA

View Full Version : Swirls or Marring, How is This Being Measured?

Pages : [1] 2

Beemerboy
12-01-2011, 10:48 AM
Hope this is the correct section.

I`ve read on many threads, where the poster is stating a percentage of the swirls where removed. I understand what 100% means or defect free, that`s close to impossible IMO, but that`s not my question.

My question is how do you go about measuring this percentage of swirls removed?

I find myself to be a fairly accomplished detailer in about all aspects of detailing. But I can`t recall telling a customer a percentage of swirls I`ve removed. I certainly have tried to get the paint as defect free as possible in some cases. But this one puzzles me!!

Thanks
Signed, Inquiring Mind! :D

Nth Degree
12-01-2011, 11:17 AM
Subjective estimate, at best.

TroyScherer
12-01-2011, 11:33 AM
1. You count the number of scratches / swirls on each panel before you begin.

2. After you are finished you re-count the number of scratches / swirls.

3. You divide the second number by the first and you get your swirl removal average (SRA).... :D

Luckily I charge by the hour.
I couldn`t resist :rofl

Beemerboy
12-01-2011, 11:40 AM

3. You divide the second number by the first and you get your swirl removal average (SRA).... :D

I new there was a good explanation for this:D:D:D:lmfao:lmfao:lmfao

mikenap
12-01-2011, 11:54 AM

Hey Troy, quite recycling my jokes!

Simple. Tape off a 1`x1` area, then count all the individual swirls. Multiply that by 0.15 and you have the acceptable number of remaining swirls to get desired correction. Polish until only that number of swirls are present.Repeat throughout the car.:inspector:

From this thread.

http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/detailers-showcase/37524-big-detailing-2010-blk-camaro-3-step-ext-water-spots-dull-lots-swirls.html

And Chris is right, it`s just a subjective "best guess." I actually list a percentage range on my website, just to give people a general idea of the improvement they can expect. It goes back to the "underpromise, overdeliver" philosophy.

Bunky
12-01-2011, 12:05 PM
I agree with that about 83%.

Stephan
12-01-2011, 01:15 PM
Hope this is the correct section.

I`ve read on many threads, where the poster is stating a percentage of the swirls where removed. I understand what 100% means or defect free, that`s close to impossible IMO, but that`s not my question.

My question is how do you go about measuring this percentage of swirls removed?

I find myself to be a fairly accomplished detailer in about all aspects of detailing. But I can`t recall telling a customer a percentage of swirls I`ve removed. I certainly have tried to get the paint as defect free as possible in some cases. But this one puzzles me!!

Thanks
Signed, Inquiring Mind! :D

I just use my detailers calculator, type in the variables and see what comes out.

Old Pirate
12-01-2011, 04:10 PM
I just use my detailers calculator, type in the variables and see what comes out.

Where can one get one of these?

rider9195
12-01-2011, 04:24 PM
I usually just estimate how much correction I got. I usually let the paint do the talking :cool:

CH.Detailing
12-01-2011, 06:29 PM
As others have said, it`s a qualitative estimate assigned a quantitative description. It`s a lot easier to make comparisons than by using general adjectives.

Beemerboy
12-01-2011, 08:58 PM
Thanks as I suspected its more of a subjective approach rather than some actually measurement.

I also want to clarify, that this thread was NOT directed at anyone person. I received a PM from someone thinking it was, not hardly!

I`ve been a well respected member of what was DC and now Autopia. I was only interested in the measurement and how someone arrives at that. If its just a generalization, then fine. However if someone has come up with a more precise way to measure this, I`m interested!

Beemerboy
12-01-2011, 09:00 PM

I thought you said it was smoke and mirrors? when did you change that?:D:D

Dr Oldz
12-01-2011, 09:04 PM
Great topic, but if someone ever says "100%" you know they are full of SH*T.

CH.Detailing
12-01-2011, 11:43 PM
I`ve achieved 110% correction before, no biggie.

Nth Degree
12-02-2011, 12:04 AM
I thought you said it was smoke and mirrors? when did you change that?:D:D

I think the amount of smoke and angle of the mirrors are the variables.