PDA

View Full Version : Ultima Waterless Wash as a QD versus other QD`s

Pages : [1] 2 3

cpa5oh
11-28-2011, 09:11 PM
I use a quick detailer after each wash...right now I`m using Aquawax and/or Optimum Instant Detailer. The Aquawax gives me that just been waxed look with no streaking whatsoever...the Instant Detailer I think would look even better than the Aquawax save for the fact that I`m getting streaking and the appearance of a film in spots (on black paint.) Price between the two isn`t comparable - Instant Detailer is much, much less expensive than Aquawax...which is why I keep working with Instant Detailer to try and get it to work for me.

Just came across the Ultima Waterless Wash on the forums here and see everyone saying it`s a great waterless wash and that you can use it as an instant detailer, too. The price per gallon of useable product is crazy low.

Question is, considering how I`d use the product mostly (right after a regular wash to get added gloss/shine,) how does it compare specifically in that regard (gloss/appearance) to products like Aquawax, Optimum Instant Detailer, and other spray wax/instant detailers?

Though I read alot of threads, and read rave reviews about it with positive mention of the gloss and slickness it leaves, I wasn`t able to get the perspective of how the gloss and slickness compares to instant detailers and spray waxes...not sure if everyone was saying the gloss and slickness is great for a waterless wash or just great, period (considering what detailers and spray waxes can do.)

Gonna order it tonight with the free shipping if I hear it`s gloss and slickness is on instant detailer/spray wax level.

Thanks!

Flannigan
11-28-2011, 09:31 PM
Let me preface this by saying I LOVE UWWW+ as a waterless wash, rinseless wash, and even to add to a traditional wash. I also like it as a quick detailer in terms of removing light dusts any fingerprints. However, if you are looking for added gloss after a wash, I would look elsewhere, i think a spray wax is more in line with what you are looking for. Just my .02

cpa5oh
11-28-2011, 09:56 PM
I kinda figured this was the answer I was gonna get...I don`t do alot of waterless washes as they scare the crap out of me (having spent hours and hours doing a paint correction this fall.) I`m gonna get some, anyhow...it`s such a good value it`s ridiculous. Thank you for your honesty!

AutopiaTech
11-29-2011, 08:57 AM
I kinda figured this was the answer I was gonna get...I don`t do alot of waterless washes as they scare the crap out of me (having spent hours and hours doing a paint correction this fall.) I`m gonna get some, anyhow...it`s such a good value it`s ridiculous. Thank you for your honesty!

If you`re looking for a quick detail spray to really amp up the gloss after washing the vehicle, check out Optimum Instant Detailer & Gloss Enhancer. It`s available in three sizes (17 oz. ready to use, 32 oz. concentrate and 128 oz concentrate). It`s very easy to use and the 32 oz. concentrate and 128 oz. concentrate are bargains considering how much quick detail spray you get once diluted accordingly.

Optimum Instant Detailer & Gloss Enhancer 17 oz. (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/optimum-instant-detailer-.html)

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/autopia_2184_63205102 (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/optimum-instant-detailer-32.html)

:autopia:

cpa5oh
11-29-2011, 12:18 PM
If you`re looking for a quick detail spray to really amp up the gloss after washing the vehicle, check out Optimum Instant Detailer & Gloss Enhancer. It`s available in three sizes (17 oz. ready to use, 32 oz. concentrate and 128 oz concentrate). It`s very easy to use and the 32 oz. concentrate and 128 oz. concentrate are bargains considering how much quick detail spray you get once diluted accordingly.

Optimum Instant Detailer & Gloss Enhancer 17 oz. (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/optimum-instant-detailer-.html)

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/autopia_2184_63205102 (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/optimum-instant-detailer-32.html)

:autopia:

Thanks for that...like I said in the original post, I`m struggling with this product with regard to streaking and a film-like, not wiped off completely in spots look (despite buffing it dry and again going over it with a softer towel, rubbing alot harder than I`d like to on dry paint.) Hence, me looking for another solution.

I will say, though, that it has rained two days in a row since my last application of Optimum Instant Detailer...there is some water on the car and some dust, but the car is still shining unlike it normally would in such a situation. I`m gonna work with it (maybe using distilled water will make a big difference.)

umi000
11-29-2011, 12:49 PM
Thanks for that...like I said in the original post, I`m struggling with this product with regard to streaking and a film-like, not wiped off completely in spots look (despite buffing it dry and again going over it with a softer towel, rubbing alot harder than I`d like to on dry paint.) Hence, me looking for another solution.

I will say, though, that it has rained two days in a row since my last application of Optimum Instant Detailer...there is some water on the car and some dust, but the car is still shining unlike it normally would in such a situation. I`m gonna work with it (maybe using distilled water will make a big difference.)

Try diluting at 1:4 instead of 1:3 - got this tip from the Optimum forums, and found that this worked to greatly cut down on the streaking I had been getting previously. Also, I dilute all my QDs with distilled water - theoretically, the lesser the mineral content in the water used, the better.

AutopiaTech
11-29-2011, 01:12 PM

Have you tried altering your application technique?

cpa5oh
11-29-2011, 06:54 PM
Try diluting at 1:4 instead of 1:3 - got this tip from the Optimum forums, and found that this worked to greatly cut down on the streaking I had been getting previously. Also, I dilute all my QDs with distilled water - theoretically, the lesser the mineral content in the water used, the better.

Yeah I did that (1:4,) still getting streaking/film. I have not tried distilled water but do have some and will try it next time there are going to be a few non-rainy days in a row (so, probably Thursday.)

cpa5oh
11-29-2011, 07:03 PM
Have you tried altering your application technique?

Not real sure how to alter it and am open to suggestions. Currently, I wash the car, dry it, then use the Instant Detailer. I use one spray per panel...kind of do the spray in a brushing stroke kinda motion to get it to cover the panel easily. Then wipe with a microfiber towel (usually two passes,) then flip over to a dryer side of the microfiber and hit it again with a few light buffs. Last time I tried heavier buffing with a more plush microfiber towel but that last pass was ineffective. This has worked with every other instant detailer I`ve used (CG V07, Aquawax, Poorboys QD+.) Though I have read forums where others have had trouble with those products...so I`m gonna try the distilled water, try to use it over and over again this way it isn`t like I`m mixing products (I`ve never used it two times in a row,) and next spring try it over top of a different wax/sealant (using CG Blacklight now.) Like I said, the gloss Instant Detailer gives me is something special...if I could just get rid of the streaking/filmy look.

AutopiaTech
11-30-2011, 10:23 AM
Not real sure how to alter it and am open to suggestions. Currently, I wash the car, dry it, then use the Instant Detailer. I use one spray per panel...kind of do the spray in a brushing stroke kinda motion to get it to cover the panel easily. Then wipe with a microfiber towel (usually two passes,) then flip over to a dryer side of the microfiber and hit it again with a few light buffs. Last time I tried heavier buffing with a more plush microfiber towel but that last pass was ineffective. This has worked with every other instant detailer I`ve used (CG V07, Aquawax, Poorboys QD+.) Though I have read forums where others have had trouble with those products...so I`m gonna try the distilled water, try to use it over and over again this way it isn`t like I`m mixing products (I`ve never used it two times in a row,) and next spring try it over top of a different wax/sealant (using CG Blacklight now.) Like I said, the gloss Instant Detailer gives me is something special...if I could just get rid of the streaking/filmy look.

It could be the towel that you`re using. I use a microfiber towel with a medium nap for a quick detail spray/spray wax such as Griot`s Garage Micro Fiber Polish Removal Cloths (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/griots-polish-cloths.html) or the Super Soft Deluxe Microfiber Towels with Rolled Edges (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/rolled-edge-towels-3.html).

I`ve never encountered any streaking issues with Optimum Instant Detailer & Gloss Enhancer. I have the concentrated version at home that I dilute 3:1 and it works like a charm. I`ve even used it on warm panels in direct sunlight with no adverse affects either.

Try a different towel and see if that helps with the streaking issues. :bigups

Bunky
11-30-2011, 12:21 PM
I often use an applicator (even thin coat) and use dry towels to buff and switching towels after a few panels. Some detailers can saturate a towel quickly.

Process: Spray panel, spread with applicator (it gets primed quickly) so spray even less as you go, and then buff with dry towel. Get a new towel if it starts to slow down the drying.

I use Griots Speed Shine the first time and using too much left streaking that would not buff off unless you respray and do it again. It worked fine with a two towel approach (one towel in lieu of an applicator).

AutopiaTech
11-30-2011, 12:53 PM
I often use an applicator (even thin coat) and use dry towels to buff and switching towels after a few panels. Some detailers can saturate a towel quickly.

Process: Spray panel, spread with applicator (it gets primed quickly) so spray even less as you go, and then buff with dry towel. Get a new towel if it starts to slow down the drying.

I use Griots Speed Shine the first time and using too much left streaking that would not buff off unless you respray and do it again. It worked fine with a two towel approach (one towel in lieu of an applicator).

Thanks for sharing your methods of application. :yourrock

You brought up a very good point. Some quick detail sprays do saturate towels quicker than others but I`ve generally been able to get away using just one towel with Optimum Instant Detailer & Gloss Enhancer. However, using Griot`s Speed Shine I`ve often needed two.

holland_patrick
11-30-2011, 01:58 PM
poorboy`s spray and gloss and QW+ would fit your bill...

Todd@RUPES
11-30-2011, 04:06 PM

I just tried this method on my car and it worked beautifully! Thanks :D

You use this after washing your car, not when it is dusty?

Bunky
11-30-2011, 09:08 PM
I just tried this method on my car and it worked beautifully! Thanks :D

You use this after washing your car, not when it is dusty?

I only do this on a clean car but I tend to dry somewhat first (easy with Master Blaster).