PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Mazdaspeed 3 with really bad swirls

Pages : [1] 2

makeithappen
11-15-2011, 10:39 PM
Alright, so I had a 2010 Mazda 3 and traded it for a speed 3. With my previous car it was fairly new with minor swirls, came out great with Scratch X and I followed it up with Meguiar`s Deep Crystal polish then finished it off with some NXT. However with my speed 3, the previous owner must have used a towel or something to wash this car because the swirls are terrible, all over the car.

What I have:
Griot`s Random Orbital Polisher
Meguiars soft buff pads (8") Yellow, Burgundy, and the finisher.
Scratch X 2.0
NXT Wax
Deep Crystal Carnauba Wax
Swirl X
Ultimate Compound

I tried using scratch X after washing and claying the car, it helped a little bit but it really didn`t do much. I used the Yellow pad, should I try Scratch X with the cutting pad? Or should I get some more heavy duty stuff. I`ve been reading a lot lately on different products such as the Meg`s 100 series professional line, and then the Zaino ZPC or the Menzerna Intensive Polish. I suppose I`m not sure which route to go.

I also understand that Ultimate Compound is more aggressive then M105? Should I try using it? I`ll put pics up tomorrow so you guys can give a more definitive recommendation. It`s pretty bad.. Also, no one has ever really made this clear to me, is the Mazda 3 2010 paint considered "soft" if so would Ultimate Compound be too much?

One last thing, for scratches that you can feel with your finger nail, is there any product you can use with a Random Orbital Polisher without having to resort to sanding and all that stuff?

Any advice is much appreciated, Jon

Reality33
11-16-2011, 08:37 AM
Hi Jon, and welcome to Autopia Forums!

The Scratch X is a polish thats more on the fine side and not very aggressive. Its good for taking out very light marks, but if the surface is heavily swirled, you will definitely need to up the polish.

I myself have never used Meg`s Ultimate compound, but the 105 is very aggressive, and tackles most paint defects. Mazda paint normally is on the softer side as with most Japanese vehicles, so you really want to start lightly and move up.

Maybe try the Ultimate compound with the yellow pad and see the difference it makes. If it takes care of most of your marks, then you can switch to the swirl x on the finishing pad and finish the paint down further. (once again, I have not used ultra cut, so I am not familiar with how it finishes down, you may not have to go one step further..)

Obviously, if that does not make a dent in it.. then switch up to the burgundy pad and give it a go.

If it is still having a hard time after that, then its time to step up to a polish with more cut as the ultimate compound is not cutting it...

For scratches you can catch with your fingernail, most polishing is not going to resolve them and you would have to either wet sand to repair the scratch or fill it with a kit like Dr. Color Chip.

Once you post the pictures, we can get a more clear call of what the paint will need.

flamed03vert
11-16-2011, 09:56 AM
I find that the Megs UC is alot more forgiving than 105. It`s really user friendly with a PC or by hand. Which would make sense to take a ton of guess work out of an OTC pruduct. Make sure to do a test spot and check your results. Then go from there

Old Pirate
11-16-2011, 06:33 PM
Alright, so I had a 2010 Mazda 3 and traded it for a speed 3. With my previous car it was fairly new with minor swirls, came out great with Scratch X and I followed it up with Meguiar`s Deep Crystal polish then finished it off with some NXT. However with my speed 3, the previous owner must have used a towel or something to wash this car because the swirls are terrible, all over the car.

I found that some Mazda`s are hard as a rock when come to polishing just be prepare. My 5 is harder then a Corvette finish to polish.

What I have:
Griot`s Random Orbital Polisher
Meguiars soft buff pads (8") Yellow, Burgundy, and the finisher.
Scratch X 2.0
NXT Wax
Deep Crystal Carnauba Wax
Swirl X
Ultimate Compound

I tried using scratch X after washing and claying the car, it helped a little bit but it really didn`t do much. I used the Yellow pad, should I try Scratch X with the cutting pad? Or should I get some more heavy duty stuff. I`ve been reading a lot lately on different products such as the Meg`s 100 series professional line, and then the Zaino ZPC or the Menzerna Intensive Polish. I suppose I`m not sure which route to go.

Invest in the Meg`s 105 and 205 system and don`t forget to get more pads ( never try to polish a car with 2 pads of different color`s ). You can go and look into the Lake Country Hydro tech 5 1/2 x 7/8 Inch Foam Pads. These should accomplish defect removal and finishing in just one step. for you in many area`s, but the true test is when you do it, and each these foam composition pad`s leaves no marring on most finishes.

I also understand that Ultimate Compound is more aggressive then M105? Should I try using it? I`ll put pics up tomorrow so you guys can give a more definitive recommendation. It`s pretty bad.. Also, no one has ever really made this clear to me, is the Mazda 3 2010 paint considered "soft" if so would Ultimate Compound be too much?

The last time I check it will be in the hard side and the Ultimate compound should work for you.

One last thing, for scratches that you can feel with your finger nail, is there any product you can use with a Random Orbital Polisher without having to resort to sanding and all that stuff?

Touch up might help but your looking at some wetsanding down the road.

Any advice is much appreciated, Jon

Anything else please be free to post it here and take a look at our " How to Guide (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/how-to.html) "

Todd@RUPES
11-17-2011, 10:39 AM
I have a red metallic Speed3 (2010). The Meguiar`s DA Microfiber system was able to remove the defects with ease and finish perfectly.

While it`s fun to buy new products and experiment and we (autopia-carcare) would love to sell you new products, it is important that you are using proper technique first. Adjust your technique, then look at products.

First, for a DA, I would recommend using 5.5 inch pads (or 6.5 pads). Make sure you are using speed 6, working an area no larger then 4 feet square (2 x 2) and using moderate to firm pressure while moving the machine slowly in overlapping passes.

While ScratchX isn`t overly powerful (do you have ScratchX or ScratchX 2.0, there is a huge difference in the ingredients and it will make a difference the ability of each product to cut) it can remove swirl marks from paint when used properly.

I think your biggest problem right now is the size of your pads (way too larger) which are probably attached to a small backing plate (which reduces their effectiveness even further) and perhaps a little tweaking of technique.

Ultimate Compound is aggressive but nothing that should scare you away from using. It is a consumer product, and as long as good technique is employed, you should get the results you want.

I would pick up a 5 inch backing plate and some 5.5 inch polishing pads. Start with Ultimate Compound and either a Lake Country Orange or Lake Country Cyan H20 pad. To finish you can try ScratchX (or SwirlX should finish even better). IF you want an extremely high gloss finish use Blackfire Finishing Polish or Menzerna PO85rd. Use with a 5.5 inch Lake Country white pad or Crimson H20 pad.

As far as scratches you can feel with your finger nail, it IS possible to remove them with a DA, but it will likely take a long time. Sanding or using a rotary will is more precise. However, if you are driving the car frequently, then I would not chase those scratches but learn to live with them. You want to maintain maximum clear coat thickness to provide enough material for future polishing and maintain OEM UV protection.

mikenap
11-17-2011, 11:00 AM
As far as scratches you can feel with your finger nail, it IS possible to remove them with a DA, but it will likely take a long time. Sanding or using a rotary will is more precise. However, if you are driving the car frequently, then I would not chase those scratches but learn to live with them. You want to maintain maximum clear coat thickness to provide enough material for future polishing and maintain OEM UV protection.

True words from the master himself. As a Mazda3 owner, I`d like to add that on my own car, the paint is unbelievably thin, 70-90 microns throughout. I`ve also heard that`s typical of many Mazdas. These are NOT cars that I`d feel comfortable doing more than one, maybe two heavy corrections on. As Todd said, learn to live with some defects on a daily driver and learn proper wash techniques so you only have to correct it this once. After that, just light polishing should keep it looking its best!:bigups

Old Pirate
11-17-2011, 01:24 PM
True Mikenap, these rides are super thin from the factory and mine is very hard.

makeithappen
11-21-2011, 09:21 PM
Sorry for being off a while, been pretty busy. Anyway, I appreciate the advice guys, I did the front end of my car completely with what I have now.

I ordered a back plate and the lake country pads and should be here by Friday.

Long story short, I used W8000 yellow pad with Ultimate Compound, then W9000 pinkish pad with Swirl X 2.0, followed by another W9000 with NXT wax 2.0 It took out 95% of the swirls, probably would get them all with the smaller pads.

Will post pics of the car, before afters hopefully tomorrow

What I used:
W9000x2
W8000
Griots Random Orbital
Swirl X 2.0
Ultimate Compound
NXT Wax
Megs Microfibers

Old Pirate
11-21-2011, 10:02 PM
Any pictures of the speed3 yet?

Todd@RUPES
11-28-2011, 12:56 PM
Will post pics of the car, before afters hopefully tomorrow

Any updates?! :bigups

Chas
11-28-2011, 01:24 PM
Hey MakeitHappen, I have a 2010 Mazda3 so I know where you and Todd are coming from when it comes to Mazda3/MazdaSpeed3 paint. I am near you in Arlington, if you need any help or want to use any products or tools I have let me know I would be more than glad to help in anyway possible if something is missing from your arsenal of products.

Todd@RUPES
11-28-2011, 04:11 PM
Hey MakeitHappen, I have a 2010 Mazda3 so I know where you and Todd are coming from when it comes to Mazda3/MazdaSpeed3 paint. I am near you in Arlington, if you need any help or want to use any products or tools I have let me know I would be more than glad to help in anyway possible if something is missing from your arsenal of products.

Great offer!

Old Pirate
11-28-2011, 09:42 PM
Any update`s yet?

Chas
11-28-2011, 10:02 PM
Did either of you guys notice how thin the paint on the Mazda3/MazdaSpeed3`s is. My PTG is saying anywhere between 85 to 105 microns max. Kind of a drag. Proper wash techniques are definitely coming in handy on this car.

Old Pirate
11-28-2011, 10:03 PM
yes, very thin but very hard.