PDA

View Full Version : Questions on Using Blackfire Wet Diamond

RedlineIRL
11-05-2011, 11:10 PM
I have a few questions regarding the use of Blackfire Wet Diamond and the cure times of it. I am planning on using it on a vehicle that doesn`t need much if any machine polishing correction, so I was planning on using something like a pre wax cleaner to remove any kind of contamination and grime left behind that washing does not get. I know that clay can achieve this, but I kind of want to avoid clay here since on darker vehicles I always seems to get some marring left behind after claying. I know that Blackfire has the Gloss Enhancing Polish, but what else out there is compatible with BFWD and will not affect the bonding of it? Are any of these fine to use?

Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion
P21S Gloss Enhancing Paintwork Cleanser

I know that when using sealants they must cure for a certain amount of time and must not be exposed to any moisture during that period. The vehicle I will be using it on spends most of its time outside, but I will be detailing it in my garage. I figure that I will apply it in the morning hours, and that should give it enough time to cure before being exposed to the overnight and morning dew. What is the recommended amount of time to keep Blackfire Wet Diamond from being exposed to moisture to fully cure and bond?

With previous waxes and sealants I have used, they can be kind of finnicky if they are overapplied, such as leaving streaks and hazing behind. Is BFWD really choosy about how you apply it, and will it streak behind if overapplied? Also, with hand use is it best to use a foam or microfiber applicator? Thanks for any help

mrclean81
11-05-2011, 11:56 PM
http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37420

I had some problems with it streaking, and a good amount of info on it was recently discussed here. Maybe this will help

Rocket
11-06-2011, 01:07 AM
I think Todd mentioned at some point that the polycharger speeds up the process and it could even be removed almost immediately.

Nth Degree
11-06-2011, 02:03 AM
The link MrClean included should answer most of your questions. A wipe down with IPA should prevent most problems of incompatibility with any cleansing polish, though BFWD plays well with others.

I doubt you will have any problems with moisture unless you are attempting to wash or park it in the rain immediately after. I always apply with a foam pad on a PC and use a MF applicator for the areas the machine can`t reach. Just remember to apply thin to reduce the chances of streaking or other problems with removal.

Worrying about applying an LSP is a bit paranoid. Worst case scenario: if you don`t like the results it can be easily removed and start over.

Pats300zx
11-06-2011, 09:42 AM
I have applied multiple coats of BFWD without letting it fully cure. The ideal scenario would be to let it cure about 12 hours before topping it with anything else. I have topped without waiting and have had no issues.

Todd@RUPES
11-06-2011, 11:14 PM
I have a few questions regarding the use of Blackfire Wet Diamond and the cure times of it. I am planning on using it on a vehicle that doesn`t need much if any machine polishing correction, so I was planning on using something like a pre wax cleaner to remove any kind of contamination and grime left behind that washing does not get. I know that clay can achieve this, but I kind of want to avoid clay here since on darker vehicles I always seems to get some marring left behind after claying. I know that Blackfire has the Gloss Enhancing Polish, but what else out there is compatible with BFWD and will not affect the bonding of it? Are any of these fine to use?

I know that when using sealants they must cure for a certain amount of time and must not be exposed to any moisture during that period. The vehicle I will be using it on spends most of its time outside, but I will be detailing it in my garage. I figure that I will apply it in the morning hours, and that should give it enough time to cure before being exposed to the overnight and morning dew. What is the recommended amount of time to keep Blackfire Wet Diamond from being exposed to moisture to fully cure and bond?

With previous waxes and sealants I have used, they can be kind of finnicky if they are overapplied, such as leaving streaks and hazing behind. Is BFWD really choosy about how you apply it, and will it streak behind if overapplied? Also, with hand use is it best to use a foam or microfiber applicator? Thanks for any help

I am going to cherry pick your post to address your questions directly. Thank you for the post and I hope my answers help with your questions. :yourrock

I know that Blackfire has the Gloss Enhancing Polish, but what else out there is compatible with BFWD and will not affect the bonding of it? Are any of these fine to use?

For maximum results Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish is going to be your best bet if using a pre-wax cleanser. This is because the two products were developed in tandem and Gloss Enhancing Polish was updated for maximum effect when Wet Diamond`s formula was tweaked in 2008. That said...

I really haven`t discovered anything that Wet Diamond will not work great on top of nor have I read or heard about such incompatibility. If you run into a problem with BFWD while using a pre-wax cleanser then this would be where I would start.

What is the recommended amount of time to keep Blackfire Wet Diamond from being exposed to moisture to fully cure and bond?

There is a difference between cure time and dry time. Dry time is the time from the application of the wax until the wax (or sealant in this case) can be removed. BFWD is not picky, it actually begins to bond as soon as it touches a solid in the presence of large amounts of oxygen. You can wipe it on and remove immediately or allow it to dry to a haze (or even remove it the next day). For easiest results either apply and remove a panel at a time (wet) or allow to haze for at least 30 minutes.

Cure time is best described as the time required from the time the product is applied until the time the product is fully cured. Removing BFWD after it is set up (hazed) will speed curing because more of the product is exposed to oxygen. Cure time is highly dependent on environmental factors such as heat and humidity, as well as chemical factors (what it is applied over), and static factors (such as the paint it is applied to). In a worst case scenario (over applied and left to haze for a long time; high humidity, and cold temperatures) it will take 8-12 hours for BFWD to fully cure. In more ideal conditions it will take considerably less, perhaps as little as an hour. The majority of BFWD will cure shortly after application, the additional lag time is required for the remaining amount.

The vehicle I will be using it on spends most of its time outside, but I will be detailing it in my garage. I figure that I will apply it in the morning hours, and that should give it enough time to cure before being exposed to the overnight and morning dew.

You should be more than okay! :bigups

Is BFWD really choosy about how you apply it, and will it streak behind if overapplied? Also, with hand use is it best to use a foam or microfiber applicator? Thanks for any help

BFWD is among the least finicky LSP`s I have ever used for a number of reasons. It can be applied by hand or machine, over most other products (with out streaking or patchiness although durability could be affected), and is pretty forgiving of technique (wet or dry removal). When applying by hand I use a foam applicator.

I hope this helps!