PDA

View Full Version : Hi from India

falkirk
11-01-2011, 06:25 AM
Hi there,

I`m Joseph Varghese from Kolkata, India. I`m new to the detailing world, and am just in the process of finalising my plans and product procurement to start my own detailing business back here.

To start with my first meeting with detailing was when I went through an article of Todd Cooperider detailing a black Acura TL on Detailedimage.com. This article was itself such an inspiration for car owner enthusiasts across our country that the first "proper" detailer in the country has started business and is doing quite well.

When I start my business I`ll be the second proper detailer in the country. Yes, we have a dearth of detailers in the country. All car owners get their cars polished by car dealers and service station guys. These polishes are very low in quality and generally just provide a small bit of gloss, seeing which the owners go "ooh-aah" ing. I`m just wondering how they will respond when they see proper paint correction and LSP work.

But there is the difference. Most of these service station and local garage guys charge peanuts as it costs them peanuts. New car dealers have polishing guys who use the same products as the local guys but charge around triple or even sometimes 6 times as they use rotary polishers and wool pads and use it as a marketing tool. Most people do not bother about the swirls in the paint. All they are bothered about is the gloss.

So that brings me to a question. I`m planning to provide a 2 step paint correction and then sealant application as the best package. For this I have decided on Menzerna Super Intensive Polish as my first step and 106FA as my 2nd step. Then finish off with Optimum Opti-Seal. Why I`ve chosen these products and not other stuff like Megs is because Megs isn`t available here. I`m inclined towards using Menzerna Power Finish instead of SIP simply because of its better finishing capability. But will I be able to provide enough cut if used with a wool pad on a rotary compared to SIP, incase the odd car comes up with pathetic paint condition?

I`ve already learnt a lot on this forum but I`m just getting started.

Thanks for all the info. It really helps.

Thanks
falkirk

Todd@RUPES
11-01-2011, 07:24 AM
Hi there,

I`m Joseph Varghese from Kolkata, India. I`m new to the detailing world, and am just in the process of finalising my plans and product procurement to start my own detailing business back here.

To start with my first meeting with detailing was when I went through an article of Todd Cooperider detailing a black Acura TL on Detailedimage.com. This article was itself such an inspiration for car owner enthusiasts across our country that the first "proper" detailer in the country has started business and is doing quite well.

When I start my business I`ll be the second proper detailer in the country. Yes, we have a dearth of detailers in the country. All car owners get their cars polished by car dealers and service station guys. These polishes are very low in quality and generally just provide a small bit of gloss, seeing which the owners go "ooh-aah" ing. I`m just wondering how they will respond when they see proper paint correction and LSP work.

But there is the difference. Most of these service station and local garage guys charge peanuts as it costs them peanuts. New car dealers have polishing guys who use the same products as the local guys but charge around triple or even sometimes 6 times as they use rotary polishers and wool pads and use it as a marketing tool. Most people do not bother about the swirls in the paint. All they are bothered about is the gloss.

Hi Joseph and welcome to AutopiaForums! :rockon:autopia:

So that brings me to a question. I`m planning to provide a 2 step paint correction and then sealant application as the best package. For this I have decided on Menzerna Super Intensive Polish as my first step and 106FA as my 2nd step. Then finish off with Optimum Opti-Seal. Why I`ve chosen these products and not other stuff like Megs is because Megs isn`t available here. I`m inclined towards using Menzerna Power Finish instead of SIP simply because of its better finishing capability. But will I be able to provide enough cut if used with a wool pad on a rotary compared to SIP, incase the odd car comes up with pathetic paint condition?

I`ve already learnt a lot on this forum but I`m just getting started.

Thanks for all the info. It really helps.

Thanks
falkirk

SIP creates almost as good of a finish as PowerFinish. Both SIP and PowerFinish require a second polishing step IF your goal is to acheive maximum gloss.

PowerFinish was designed to be used a 1 step product, it provides pretty good cut (for what it is) while creating a finish that is pretty good.

Since you are looking at a 2 step process I would absolutely recommend using SIP instead. SIP has more cutting power, finishes nearly as well, and IME, has less potenital to fill.

SIP will provide better cut with a wool pad, but you run the risk (particularly on softer paints) of creating really deep maring that will require an additional polishing step before final polishing. So you are now looking at a (potentially) a three step process.

mrclean81
11-01-2011, 08:20 AM
Welcome to AF. If you will be 1 of 2 in the country, sounds like your odds of being successful are pretty high :)

falkirk
11-01-2011, 08:47 AM
Hi Joseph and welcome to AutopiaForums! :rockon:autopia:

SIP creates almost as good of a finish as PowerFinish. Both SIP and PowerFinish require a second polishing step IF your goal is to acheive maximum gloss.

PowerFinish was designed to be used a 1 step product, it provides pretty good cut (for what it is) while creating a finish that is pretty good.

Since you are looking at a 2 step process I would absolutely recommend using SIP instead. SIP has more cutting power, finishes nearly as well, and IME, has less potenital to fill.

SIP will provide better cut with a wool pad, but you run the risk (particularly on softer paints) of creating really deep maring that will require an additional polishing step before final polishing. So you are now looking at a (potentially) a three step process.

Well thanks Todd for the welcome and that`s an answer I`ve been waiting to hear for long. But I want to stick with a 2 step polish, I wasn`t thinking of using the SIP with a wool pad, rather whether Power Finish with a wool pad will deliver a good enough cut to rival SIP. The reason I`m asking this is that at times when I don`t need to I would prefer to finish the job (if the paint condition and customer requirement permits) in a single step. Hope my question is not confusing for you.

Welcome to AF. If you will be 1 of 2 in the country, sounds like your odds of being successful are pretty high :)

Well not quite, you see in India people swear by the cheapest way, and that itself is the biggest hurdle for detailers like us. But yes, as the knowledge of the process spreads hopefully your words will be honey for me. Thanks. :D

Old Pirate
11-01-2011, 02:52 PM
Welcmoe to AutopiaForums falkirk! :welcome: Remember one thing..knowledge is the key in which you been ahead of everyone else in your area and trying to educated your customers in the right way of detailing will work in your favor for long term customers for your business.

polisher
11-02-2011, 08:10 AM
welcome!!! last time i was visited india was in Mumbai...awsome city!!