PDA

View Full Version : BFWD troubles

Pages : [1] 2

mrclean81
10-23-2011, 09:13 PM
Yesterday was the first time I got to use BFWD on a dark color. I`ve used it on several light colors, and on my red bike and helmet. Each time I got nothing but great results. However, on yesterdays navy blue Silverado, this stuff streaked so badly I was afraid I was going to loose my mind before the truck was finished. I clayed, polished with SSR2, and applied BFWD, removing with a brand new Cobra mf towel (so there was definitely not anything in the towel making it streak). I`ve had this happen with a few waxes in the past, but honestly had higher hopes for this stuff. Did I do something wrong, or is this normal? If its normal, Ill never use it again. I wasted over an hour just chasing streaks.

CT3
10-23-2011, 09:21 PM
Yesterday was the first time I got to use BFWD on a dark color. I`ve used it on several light colors, and on my red bike and helmet. Each time I got nothing but great results. However, on yesterdays navy blue Silverado, this stuff streaked so badly I was afraid I was going to loose my mind before the truck was finished. I clayed, polished with SSR2, and applied BFWD, removing with a brand new Cobra mf towel (so there was definitely not anything in the towel making it streak). I`ve had this happen with a few waxes in the past, but honestly had higher hopes for this stuff. Did I do something wrong, or is this normal? If its normal, Ill never use it again. I wasted over an hour just chasing streaks.

I hate to ask a stupid question, but was the new mf towel washed prior to use?

I haven`t had any problems with bfwd at all. Hoow long did you let it cure for?

mrclean81
10-23-2011, 09:48 PM
Yes I never use a new towel right out of the package. It cured long enough to dry to a haze. 15-25 minutes. I always end up racing daylight and never have hours to let it cure.

Edit - My main concern with this is that I have a black Escallade to do next weekend for a new client, and I really dont want to go through trial & error on a vehicle like that.

Nth Degree
10-23-2011, 10:40 PM
I have never had any problems with BFWD. I would say perhaps it was applied too thick, not shaken well enough or not bonded properly with the paint due to polish residue. I always do an IPA showdown first. Also have a few towels ready for removal. I have issues sometimes if I let my towel get too loaded.

mrclean81
10-23-2011, 10:51 PM
All of that should have been fine too. I can normally troubleshoot any problem I run into, but this time Im stumped. It happened from the first panel to the last consistently. The only thing I can think of is maybe I didnt give it enough time to cure, but if its one of those products that needs hours of cure time before it can be removed, its not for me anyway.

Nth Degree
10-23-2011, 11:11 PM
...if its one of those products that needs hours of cure time before it can be removed, its not for me anyway.

I`ve never let it cure for more than 30 minutes and usually only 10-15. You could also try hitting it with the BF spray sealant. That might help. Wait for Todd to respond too. If he can`t help you I don`t know who can.

Flannigan
10-24-2011, 08:29 AM
I`ve never had an issue with BFWD. I have let it cure for hours, but I have also only let it cure for 15 minutes before and it comes off just as easily. Did you shake your bottle first? Could something have separated in the bottle and be causing the streaking? That or something was still on the paint are the only two things I could think of.

mrclean81
10-24-2011, 08:39 AM
The bottle was shaken every time I loaded the app pad, and the truck had been washed, clayed, and machine polished, so its hard to believe anything was left to contaminate it. I guess Ill try it next weekend, and if the same thing happens Ill go from there. I`ve still got plenty of EX-P, so its not like BFWD is the only sealant I have to work with. Thanks for the responses.

Todd@RUPES
10-24-2011, 11:06 AM
It is not normal for BFWD to have such issues. I have had the streaking issue you happen with a lot of various waxes and sealants, and while the most common cause is over application, BFWD is designed to be fairly easy to use.

There are two ways that I prefer to apply/remove BFWD, depending on the time frame of the detail.

If I can, I like to let it sit for a long time (20min-1 hour). In this time I will usually finish other details (windows, tires, wheels, wheel arches, whatever).

However, if the logistics of the detail don`t allow for this, then I will apply and wipe off immediately. You can remove BFWD while it is still wet, it wont `t have a negative effect on durability or protection. So I will do half the hood and fender, then wipe off, then the door and quarter panel, remove, etc...

The only time I have had problems with BFWD (which is VERY rare, compared to all products) is when I try to remove it 10-15 minutes after application. I would say 9 out of 10 times I have no problem removing it in this time frame, but whenever I have had issues, it has been in this area.

Also so products will not work with some paints. I would definitely try it on another dark color and see if it was just an isolated incident.

mrclean81
10-24-2011, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the reply. Ill try to use a little less next time and see if that helps. Here`s a shot of how it turned out. Not my best photography, but I wasn`t planning to post it anywhere. (Sorry Gearhead :D)

Old Pirate
10-24-2011, 02:56 PM
The time I had problems with BFWD is due to the humidity here and not having a very clean surface ( rushing ).

mrclean81
10-24-2011, 03:27 PM
The time I had problems with BFWD is due to the humidity here and not having a very clean surface ( rushing ).

The humidity could very well have played a roll. 70 and sunny, but humid. The only time its not humid here is winter time though, which sucks.

Old Pirate
10-24-2011, 03:33 PM
Down here, some products just don`t like the humidity at all. Which sometimes is a pain to work with.

ca.detailchick
10-25-2011, 02:32 AM
Sorry that happened to you !I know how frustrating it is to have problems with a product at the end of the day when its getting dark and the customer wants their car!

I used it once only on a med blue honda and it didnt streak . It was a hot sunny day .

I have a feeling it may be the humid weather and the dark color giving you the trouble also........

I had it stored under my carport and in a shed so I dont beleive it was damaged in any way by heat or anything.

A couple weeks before I sent it out it had separated and all the oils were on top so I poared it all out and mixed it all together really good and even strained it to make sure there were no clumps in it and it seemed perfectly fine .

Good luck with it in the future . Make sure to do a test spot first.

mrclean81
10-25-2011, 02:32 PM
Sorry that happened to you !I know how frustrating it is to have problems with a product at the end of the day when its getting dark and the customer wants their car!

I used it once only on a med blue honda and it didnt streak . It was a hot sunny day .

I have a feeling it may be the humid weather and the dark color giving you the trouble also........

I had it stored under my carport and in a shed so I dont beleive it was damaged in any way by heat or anything.

A couple weeks before I sent it out it had separated and all the oils were on top so I poared it all out and mixed it all together really good and even strained it to make sure there were no clumps in it and it seemed perfectly fine .

Good luck with it in the future . Make sure to do a test spot first.

Its nothing you done. I was more than happy with the products I got from you :) It sounds like the humidity played a big role in this. I also removed it during what seems like the worst cure time for it. I`ve been really happy with the results up until this one incident, so Im sure it was something on my end. My only other problem with it is now my bike is so slick that I slide all over the tank lol.