PDA

View Full Version : Picture Shoot Threads

Pages : [1] 2 3

GearHead_1
10-22-2011, 08:04 PM
Let me start by saying these are my opinions alone, further I hope no one takes offense to this thread. I love to see threads with pictures. The befores and afters are really where the rubber hits the road on a detailing forum like AF.

I made this post in another thread and reread the post. It looked to be a bit harsh when posted in any one particular thread. I pulled the post and started this thread so that it didn`t come across as picking on any one individual`s work. I`ve stated this a number of times before (probably will again) and some are likely tired of hearing it, for others it may be a first. This is kind of a pet peeve of mine and admittedly, I probably feel more strongly about these issues than others. Some of you may not be feeling this post but I`ve spoken with others and know that they feel the same.

Here it is, taking ones "after shots" in the shade DO NOT demonstrate the quality and hard work put into detailing a vehicle. If the "afters" are taken in the shade no one can be sure what the finished product really looks like beyond being somewhat clean. I find this practice to be somewhat suspicious when it`s fairly apparent that it is a sunny day in the pictures. I always wonder what the poster is hiding.

I looked but could not find the thread. It`s been some time ago, we had a member of this forum demonstrate this very concept with a photo set he had taken. It may have been Charles (don`t hold me to that) that wrote it or maybe he was the one commenting in the thread. This thread showed a car that looked like a million bucks in the pictures but as it turned out the poster had yet to wash a fairly dirty vehicle. It goes to show that you can make a rather ordinary vehicle look pretty darn good, shooting shots down the side (length) of it or taking its picture in the shade.

This is a bit of a side bar but kind of goes with the thread. I sincerely believe that a thread with perhaps around 10 photos total is more than sufficient to show the quality in a detail. Show the highlights. I don`t believe every panel, crevice and wheel well needs to be viewed. In my opinion, some of our photo threads are rather lengthy. This is a situation where less can be more. I, for one, subscribe to many threads on this forum, most include pictures. When comments are made I go back and review the thread. Threads with many photos attached can take a long time to load and can become a bit much when viewed multiple times. Videos can be great when every aspect of the detail needs to be shown, go Garry Dean. This of course allows you to see the results once but read all related posts without loading the pictures over and again. I realize that not everyone has a video camera and there is a time and a place for both formats. Ultimately, I would like to see more photo threads with a reasonable number of pictures per thread.

In the end, I believe pictures to be a great thing for our forum. I also believe that if one is going to the spend the time to shoot a car do yourself a favor and show your work off by shooting the "afters" in the light where possible. Weather changes and clouds roll in, the sun goes down, this we understand but final pictures need to have some light on them in order to really show the quality in one`s work.

Now jumping down from my soapbox. Forgive me if it has gotten rather high in this post. ;)

Garry Dean
10-22-2011, 08:46 PM
Amen, brotha.

Thanks for posting this. If you`re going to show off your work please make sure you show it for what it is. Explain what work was to be done and show how it actually turned out. Everyone understands that not every client wants perfection. I do a lot of details and maybe 1% of my clients are looking for perfection. Just say your piece and show your work don`t sugar coat or hide in the dark.

Todd@RUPES
10-22-2011, 10:08 PM
I personally love detailed threads that show the before and after of every panel in true lighting conditions, that show every crease and crevice has been blown out and is dust and residue free, etc.

This is because, in the type of work that I do, it can take 4-5 hours to detail and wash every crevice after polishing.

That said I really enjoy details of all levels and love the diversity in different write-ups. I appreciate the time it takes to create a detailed write-up. I certainty am in awe of the quality of work that people can do in such short times as well. No write or wrong answer and everybody is entitled to like what they like!

Nth Degree
10-23-2011, 12:10 AM
I agree and disagreee.

I enjoy the detailed posts when the car and the work warrants it. Like Todd, I can appreciate the work that went into it as much as the results.

It can be frustrating waiting for loads and understand on that point. I also agree about showing the work for what it is. I try to recreate the same lighting and angles for before and after pics for that exact reason.

Keep in mind that there are those of us who post here regularly and are in the industry and see this kind of work all the time, but there are also tons of visitors who are reading those threads for the first time. I remember when I read the first several threads that broke it down elaborately and I was blown away. It gave me a standard to strive for.

This site serves not just those who detail for a living, but to infect as many as possible with the autopian mentality and educate them on what detailing can and should be.:autopia:

C. Charles Hahn
10-23-2011, 01:49 AM
Keep in mind that there are those of us who post here regularly and are in the industry and see this kind of work all the time, but there are also tons of visitors who are reading those threads for the first time. I remember when I read the first several threads that broke it down elaborately and I was blown away. It gave me a standard to strive for.

Bingo. I`ve actually been contacted by people who told me they`d seen my work on one of the forums and wanted me to detail their vehicles because of the way I not only work meticulously, but also document and present my work in a thorough manner.

So yeah to a certain extent, I totally understand maybe some of the regulars getting tired of long and drawn out threads, but at the same time they serve to help newbies understand what those of us doing high end work are really all about, and are also a valuable marketing tool. And on top of that, I am always picking up new little tips and tricks from some of the lengthy write-ups others post, and my hope is that they can do the same from reading my write-ups.

Bunky
10-23-2011, 06:02 AM
I guess you have a suspicion that some posters are hiding their work but every detailer gets to provide the results by choice of camera angles, selected shots, post processing, etc. The purpose of these writeups is to show the car and their work in the best possible light (pun intended). The fact there may be a "bad" spot somewhere that cannot be fully 100% corrected but rarely gets mentioned.

If someone did a detailed write up on a 90% correction using Menz. PF, they would not be viewed as highly as the 100% corrections (real or alluded) but that is often what the customer paid for.

I do see some posters occasionally show and mention some spots that were 100% perfect. The fact is the better painted cars will look better when finished. It is hard to get a heavily orange peeled car to give great reflections at every angle.

As for the write ups, the lengthy ones can be overwhelming especially if there is no write up for them since I like to read about the process more than beauty shots. Some pics of the detailer in action look very staged (like they were taken with a self-timer).

I would like to see more videos in the post since I do not think they can be more revealing to me since the light angle, position, etc. cannot be tweaked as with a still image.

BillRids
10-23-2011, 09:58 PM
If your suspicious, ask for more or better pictures. Someone might be good with a polisher, but bad with a camera. Everyone here has a passion for car care, but may not be the best at displaying it on the internet.

If someone runs a business and is using it for advertising, I could see that being someone controversial. Now if we`re all here BS`ing and commenting on each others work, what`s the big deal? Communication is what keeps this place running in the first place. Just ask, the poster may not even realize the could be using better light.

Nth Degree
10-24-2011, 02:27 PM
I figured this might be a good spot to post this link:

Motorcar Photography Tips by Curt Scott (http://www.cobracountry.com/fototips/)

Old Pirate
10-24-2011, 02:54 PM
Someone might be good with a polisher, but bad with a camera. Everyone here has a passion for car care, but may not be the best at displaying it on the internet.

I`m very bad in taking pictures, that I do admit to all here. Maybe I need to take a class on taking pictures...............

Dr Oldz
10-24-2011, 04:46 PM
I detail...I don`t do photography. I don`t have a good camera nor do I really intend to get one. I really never post pics nor do I post lengthy detailed threads about my details. My satisfaction comes from when the customer gets their vehicle and has a big smile on their face. I do appreciate some of the detailed photography some people do, but for me when I am detailing I don`t wanna take the time to take a bunch of pics. Just my thoughts.

BillRids
10-24-2011, 05:00 PM
I`m very bad in taking pictures, that I do admit to all here. Maybe I need to take a class on taking pictures...............

There isn`t a world council on forum picture quality. Continue pursing your passion and enjoy the community. win/win

:autopia:

Addicted2Bling
10-24-2011, 07:16 PM
I detail...I don`t do photography. I don`t have a good camera nor do I really intend to get one. I really never post pics nor do I post lengthy detailed threads about my details. My satisfaction comes from when the customer gets their vehicle and has a big smile on their face. I do appreciate some of the detailed photography some people do, but for me when I am detailing I don`t wanna take the time to take a bunch of pics. Just my thoughts.

^^This.

It is already time consuming enough as it is to detail a car, and what would a customer think if he saw me shooting pictures of his car? But since I plan on getting a website it looks like I have no choice :D

Concours.John
10-24-2011, 08:27 PM
I`ve been photo documenting for years restoration work and anything correction wise. Since opening the shop every client is given a copy. This process is not billed to the client. It is also more for my reference in maintaining the vehicle. I take notes and pictures of areas that needed heavy correction. I have tags to mark the location so I don`t lose track where on the panel that work was performed. This is a safety net for the future.

I`ve even thought of using a projector with a grid and camera mout centered for front, rear, sides and top. Keeping the same distance every time. Areas then can be exactly marked everytime in the future.

So I see a reason for taking lots of pictures. I don`t post near all that I take. I do document everything for me and a service for my clients. Some have even passed them on to others interested and looking for my type of work. It has generated work and I`ve been asked "when can I get in" and not even have to explain everything.

I can see both sides of the coin because I never used to post my work.

CH.Detailing
10-24-2011, 11:38 PM
Por ejemplo,

These shots are of a dirty and un-corrected vehicle. No editing, no photoshopping, no sneaky software tricks, just the shade making the vehicle look shiny and smooth. Maybe these were after washing it actually. :hmmm:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6066/6051521655_404a8b3afa_b.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6087/6051521571_ef16f18e3e_b.jpg

And the same car, in the sun the next day. Doesn`t look so good!

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6084/6044630364_27a4e43750_b.jpg

polisher
10-25-2011, 07:52 AM
remove that swirl