PDA

View Full Version : portable canopies

Pages : [1] 2

FourStarDetail
04-20-2004, 05:22 PM
Just wondering what some of you mobile guys use? EZ Up wants a freakin arm and a leg for their stuff, I know they are great quailty, but if I can find something as easy/as good for cheaper that would be awesome!

:dj

TruckTechniques
04-20-2004, 08:49 PM
EZ canopies are arond $100 for a 12x12 on sale around here, places like Sports Authority and of all places Pep Boys

probegt
04-20-2004, 10:16 PM
Harborfreight.com has quite a few at decent price but dont know the quality.:)

Deanski
04-21-2004, 09:28 AM
So far, the best I`ve used and seen out in the market are those made by EZ-Up.

They have several to choose from and setup & takedown easy.

You can shop their website which is E-Z UP direct (http://www.ezupdirect.com/)

They seem to find their way on Ebay as well. So, find the one you want and shop around!

Regards,

Deanski

Ryan
04-25-2004, 07:58 PM
I just purchased and returned an EZ camopy. It was $180 for a 10X10 at BJ`s. I was unaware that they made larger sizes. I am glad I returned it though because I need to at least fit my own car under it.

fireman03
04-26-2004, 12:05 AM
Portable canopies scare the crap out of me. I had one collapse on a slightly windy day. Thank goddess I wasn`t detailing a car. I would not want to explain that to a customer.

dr_detail
04-26-2004, 09:43 AM
I bought a 10`x10` for $69.99+tx at of all places....

Big Lots.

stainbuster
04-26-2004, 10:17 AM
Yes, I`m mobile and bought two Quick Shade 10` X 10` canopies from Sports Authority for $69.99 each. One`s on the porch and the other`s in my vehicle. On occasions where I need length, I just take the one from the porch with me and set them up next to each other.

8` X 8` EZ-ups were $140 to $200 here, and after talking with other mobile paint touch-up vendors here who have used both brands, the Quick Shades were the way to go. They even came with wheeled carry bags and stakes.

I can set up in about 90 seconds, take down in about 60.

Regards,

Scott P
04-26-2004, 10:53 AM
I`m going to grab one of those 10x10 at BJ`s for $180. It comes with four sides and an awning. I assume it will work well enough for me.

Focusedonsound
04-26-2004, 11:04 AM
I work for campmor ... (we sell lots of tents)
If your looking for a decent deal on an ez up type of tent ...

check this guy out...

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=12771979&memberId=12500226

BaDm0theR
04-26-2004, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by stainbuster
Yes, I`m mobile and bought two Quick Shade 10` X 10` canopies from Sports Authority for $69.99 each. One`s on the porch and the other`s in my vehicle. On occasions where I need length, I just take the one from the porch with me and set them up next to each other.

8` X 8` EZ-ups were $140 to $200 here, and after talking with other mobile paint touch-up vendors here who have used both brands, the Quick Shades were the way to go. They even came with wheeled carry bags and stakes.

I can set up in about 90 seconds, take down in about 60.

Regards,

IS that stable when exposed to the wind? I mean, would you feel comfortable detailing a car under that thing (it seems as if the frame is pretty lightweight).

Have any of you had problems with canopies? Also, can one person set them up? How heavy are they...how sturdy?

Thanks.

Focusedonsound
04-26-2004, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by BaDm0theR
IS that stable when exposed to the wind? I mean, would you feel comfortable detailing a car under that thing (it seems as if the frame is pretty lightweight).

Have any of you had problems with canopies? Also, can one person set them up? How heavy are they...how sturdy?

Thanks.

Working for a camping company that sells these and other very simalar styles of these type of easy up style tents they are very easy to set up. one person can set them up in about 5 min. the only problem is on windy day you do need to secure them with some counter weights. They do last though . I know you can even go direct to the manufactures and buy replacement canvas tops if necesarry.

Also another recomendation for You mobile guys. I have seen a lot of people bring the tops to local sports shops to get their logos and information embroirderd(sp) onto the top for added sinage.

For the extra 20 or 30.00 its a good investment.

onthespot
04-26-2004, 02:57 PM
I use an 8x12 EZ Up Detailer`s Canopy. I can set up or tear down in about 1 minute.

On windy days I attach 10 pound weight plates to the bottoms of the legs with bungee cords. Haven`t had it come crashing down yet...... ;)

I had this banner made that displays my company name, and attach when I`m working in high traffic areas...

My canopy is two years old, and gets used quite a bit... As you can see from the following picture, it`s starting to get a little rust in the middle of the legs where you adjust the height... This is from carelessness on my part as I have the tendency to sometimes lay it down in the bottom of my trailer... The bottom of the trailer gets wet every so often whenever I accidently overflow my bulk tank (LOL)... <--- (Am I starting to sound like an `absentminded` detailer yet?)......

Onthespot

TruckTechniques
04-26-2004, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by onthespot
I use an 8x12 EZ Up Detailer`s Canopy. I can set up or tear down in about 1 minute.

Nice setup :D

One question, what good does that canopy do unless it is high noon? Seems one side if the truck gets the sun on it defeating the purpose??

onthespot
04-27-2004, 05:35 AM
Originally posted by TruckTechniques
Nice setup :D

One question, what good does that canopy do unless it is high noon? Seems one side if the truck gets the sun on it defeating the purpose??

Joe,
Thank you.
You are correct... Seems that I`m fighting the sun all the time...
Sometimes I turn the vehicle around... However, because I really hate to do that - lately I`ve been using products that can be applied in the sun... :cool

Onthespot