PDA

View Full Version : Help! MVP 10" Orbital Buffer, Terry Cloth VS Foam pads?

naddage
04-20-2004, 02:35 PM
Hey all,

I got the WaxxPRo 10" random orbital buffer a while ago (from Autobarn.com), and I was wondering if anyone had any good/bad experiences with it to share, before I use it on my car.

I was considering the Makita or the Milwaukee, but they are so goddamn expensive!! haha

Also, is there a big difference between applying with foam pads vs a terry cloth pad? The MVP comes with terrycloth, but in all the pictures, it looks like foam is the way to go.

I am planning on using SSR1 on the buffer.

Thanks!!

Josh

CharlesW
04-20-2004, 04:34 PM
The following is some of a post I made quite some time ago.
It still reflects my feelings, even after several months have passed.

Several years back, I purchased a Wen 10" orbital buffer. It had an amperage rating of over 3 amps, but I don`t remember the exact rating. The only reason I mention it is to point out it was not really lacking in power. I used it some for the first 2 - 3 months I owned it and after that it stayed in the box, unused, for several years. This summer, I tried it again. Back in the box and then given to a friend. It was more hassle than it was worth. Changing the bonnets was a PIA.

Since then I have purchased a PC 7336 and there is no comparison. With the velcro backing plate, changing pads is a 5 second job. The machine is much easier to work with and probably does a much better job. I can`t say for sure since the WEN never really got much use.

Now for something to start a discussion. IMO, Unless you have swirl removal to do, the PC isn`t really necessary to do a good job of taking care of your car.
Easier? Yes.
Better? Probably a little better distribution of product.
Faster? Maybe, but remember, you also have to consider the time you spend getting it out, putting it away, and hand washing the foam pads as part of the overall time spent.

My vehicles are in pretty good shape to start with and the products I use, Klasse AIO, 4 Star UPP, S100 Cleaner, and S100 wax, are all so easy to apply and remove that the benefit is not all that great to me. So far, it seems that about 1/2 the time, I don`t even bother with the PC.

If you can afford one, by all means get one. If it stretches your budget, use the money to buy something you really need.

Charles

newbie04
04-20-2004, 08:15 PM
I`m wondering too - I have a 10" MVP that I rarely use - too big. However, I picked up a 6" Coleman @ Wal-Mart ($14) and used it on the wife`s Escape - that was way easy - fit in the palm of your hand and really was easy to work with.

Now I`m just curious - I used the Terry bonnet for her truck - looks great. But, for swirl removal, would I use the terry or Wool bonnet that it came with? The box said the wool was for polishing, but my research on the `net says wool is more for cutting....